Chromecast - the new Google TV

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
1 from Amazon, 1 from Google, will get them when I get them.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
On my NAS, I can simply dump all of my torrented TV and Movie files (some 20+GB 1080p DTS-HD MA mind you) into a giant folder and my Boxee set top will organize everything and stream / decode on the fly. I dont see this device replacing it anytime soon. If I am not mistaken, this Chromecast device is only just streaming what you are playing off of your phone / tablet apps. Nothing too groundbreaking to me.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just ordered through Amazon to take advantage of Prime plus no tax and then went to cancel Google play order and it errors out. So I cal google and apparently they can't cancel orders that are more then 1 hour old. I won't be charged for the item until it ships 2.5 weeks from now and then I'll have to be charged for it then wait for it to be delivered then call UPS and tell them I refuse delivery and come pick it back up and then be reimbursed.

What. The. Fuck?

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
On my NAS, I can simply dump all of my torrented TV and Movie files (some 20+GB 1080p DTS-HD MA mind you) into a giant folder and my Boxee set top will organize everything and stream / decode on the fly. I dont see this device replacing it anytime soon. If I am not mistaken, this Chromecast device is only just streaming what you are playing off of your phone / tablet apps. Nothing too groundbreaking to me.
Only in some circumstances is it actually streaming from your phone/device, in many cases like Netflix it's just using the UI to manage the stream, while also synchronzing the status and controls across devices.

Presumably if something else is doing the heavy lifting - like Plex Media Server - it can get the stream to Chromecast in a compatible format and it'd play fine. Just needs that support added.

Everyone with finicky use cases I am sure will get to enjoy their Rokus and Boxees a bit longer, but will be interesting to see how this product grows (could see my parents even using it) and evolves.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Only in some circumstances is it actually streaming from your phone/device, in many cases like Netflix it's just using the UI to manage the stream, while also synchronzing the status and controls across devices.

Presumably if something else is doing the heavy lifting - like Plex Media Server - it can get the stream to Chromecast in a compatible format and it'd play fine. Just needs that support added.

Everyone with finicky use cases I am sure will get to enjoy their Rokus and Boxees a bit longer, but will be interesting to see how this product grows (could see my parents even using it) and evolves.
Not to derail, but Boxee was bought out by Samsung a few weeks back. I can only imagine they will start to have it built into their future TVs, which will be absolutely perfect!

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
Sold on both this and the Nexus 7. Google wins again.
Same here. I already own a N7, but after seeing their presentation I am going to get the new model. It is a beast for a smaller tablet. Chromecast was mine the second Amazon had it.
biggrin.png

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
The licence on the chrome cast site is absurdly restrictive, they claim you need their permission to even distribute code which calls their APIs. (Particularly ironic given their spat with oracle over Android and the Java api)

Soriak_sl

shitlord
Ordered from Amazon, although they don't even have a shipping estimate at this point. Also, no mention of the three months of Netflix that I can find outside of the announcement. Is that gone already, too?

Jesus people...

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Interesting review of the device from Amazon from (supposedly) a developer who has had a Chromecast for several weeks

765 of 807 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Please Ignore the Idiots Who Haven't Even Used This Device - Opinions from a Developer July 24, 2013
By Jasper Lynn
So I came on Amazon to just do some shopping, and I couldn't help but notice how the Google Chromecast somehow has reviews already. I'm sorry, but no consumer has this in their hands yet (until 1-2 more days). I want to provide an honest review with an actual understanding of what and how the product works having had it for a couple weeks, without violating my NDA.

Look - you can give your "Review" once you have in your hands. Make assumptions based off an uneducated guess or incorrect information just looks stupid, I'm sorry.

What it Is:
It's a HDMI dongle that is powered by Chrome OS that is designed for Streaming.

How it Works:
You have to connect to the same Wi-Fi network for it to work. Once it's setup you'll see the Chromecast logo and a basic Home Screen with some of the first apps available for Chromecast. A lot of development is going into it, so expect to see more apps from the Google Play store work with your TV. See your phone/tablet/computer more of a remote, rather than an actual streaming device.

I only tested on the iOS side (I don't have a Droid) and I can tell you that it works very well. It is NOT like Apple's AirPlay where your screen is mirrored, but rather uses "the Cloud" to access your content. It works smoother than AirPlay because it doesn't require buffering from your device, but rather directly to the TV. The only "syncing" that occurs is the Cloud communicating to the Chromecast where you're at. For example: I'm watching a Netflix movie and I'm at 1:06:17. I hit the Square button with the wi-fi looking icon called "Cast" and it syncs it to my Chromecast. This is only different for web-browsing through the currently Beta Chrome Tab Cast, where it'll show exactly what you're looking on Chrome, onto your TV. It's less functional than straight up mirroring like the Apple TV, but it works. You can't switch between apps and have that show on the screen. This is particularly useful in web-based presentations or while you check your email and your friends are watching Netflix.

Battery Drain on Mobile Devices:
Because of the way Chromecast works, it's streaming information from the Cloud vs. from your device. I noticed very little increase in the usage of battery on my iPhone 5 and my Macbook Air running Mountain Lion OSX.

Support for Streaming Services:
Right now, Streaming Service support is limited. Netflix, Google Services (Google Play, YouTube) and Web-based Streaming is allowed. I had issues trying to load Hulu the past couple days, telling me that my browser was unsupported, but I'll update once I get a chance.

Power Adapter:
The power adapter is an optional requirement. In fact, most modern TV's with HDMI 1.4 or higher spec are supported. The Chromecast can draw power from the HDMI port it's plugged into. If your TV doesn't support that, there's also a USB cable and power adapter included in the box. I have a 2012 LG LED and a 2013 Lenovo 27" Monitor with HDMI input and the ports power it with no cable.

All in all, I feel like it's still a huge work in progress. The SDK will allow for some exciting developments, and I'm happy to say that Google has committed to support this device for quite some time. It gives me piece of mind that this won't become out of date each year.

That being said, it's only $35. What a steal for a device that really brings value to any TV.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
The Chromecast can draw power from the HDMI port it's plugged into.
Awesome. I bought my TV last year (although not a high-end model), so I'm guessing it'll be able to draw power directly. Win.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
There's actually a big difference. The indiegogo thing streams content from your device to the TV. The Chromecast receives a "link" from your device, then streams the content directly from the web.

I'm sure the Chromecast stick can be hacked to do the same, but out of the box, it's rather different.

It's actually somewhat of a shame. I wish I could outright mirror my tablet on the TV at times.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
A $35 plug and play device doesn't replace $1000+ worth of computer/NAS/Hard Disks and a $200 boxee box plus a bunch of pirated content? You're right, what a useless piece of shit.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
There's actually a big difference. The indiegogo thing streams content from your device to the TV. The Chromecast receives a "link" from your device, then streams the content directly from the web.

I'm sure the Chromecast stick can be hacked to do the same, but out of the box, it's rather different.

It's actually somewhat of a shame. I wish I could outright mirror my tablet on the TV at times.
Some Android devices support Miracast, you just need a receiver or TV that supports it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
That developers review sold me on the device, I'll wait until they become available I guess. Should've jumped on it.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
Ordered from Amazon, although they don't even have a shipping estimate at this point.
And now it appears to be sold from third party sellers only... boo.
frown.png
I guess I have my Boxee box, so it's not a huge deal. But holy shit did that sell out quickly. I wonder if I should just order it from Google with the super-slow 5-10 day shipping.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Just ordered it from Google, just amazed at the pricing and couldn't help myself even though I barely watch stuff these days. Will at least allow me to chuck my PS3 that never gets used.

spronk

FPS noob
we really need a new home wireless tech, wifi is really starting to lag way behind everything we want to do. This shit sounds cool until you realize 1080p isn't possible for most wifi homes, and fuhgettabout 4k and/or 3D. Wireless-N rarely works anywhere I go since the fucking router way is a different wireless-N than the tablet/phone/whatever, and even when it does work I never see ultra fast speeds.

dammit I want my 100 terabit wireless tech and I want it NOW