Chronic Pain

drmandolin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Everything is worse after a beer and pizza bender. However, everything is betterduringit.
For me, the during part is a home run. But even then I get mixed results the next day. Sometimes I do great after beerz and sometimes not. Again, no pattern. But the occasional temp relief for a couple of hours is nice.

Rhuobhe

N00b
Anyone have chronic neck/disc pain? its not so much pain but a discomfort. I constantly have to crack my neck every day, for years. Sometimes it is difficult to sleep. I blame my old gaming habits for this.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Have you tried seeing a Doctor? Maybe ask around and get recommendations for a good chiropractor.

drmandolin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Have you tried seeing a Doctor? Maybe ask around and get recommendations for a good chiropractor.
Especially if you can find one that does the 'activator' or clicker-style adjustments, and not that awful cracking. I can't remember what that style of chiropractic is actually called though, sorry.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
For the past 2 years or so I've had what I thought was your typical lower back pain. It's not so much a pain as in I move a certain way and it hurts, it's just a consistent discomfort and tightness that's always there. It's not debilitating, though. I exercise routinely and it doesn't prevent me from doing the various movements and the exercises themselves doesn't increase the amount of discomfort I have. In fact Id' say my back feels slightly better afterwards, although not a whole lot.

What DOES amplify it is lying in bed for a length of time. By morning I'm in very uncomfortable state because it literally feels like my back is being twisted if I'm lying on my side. The only way I can comfortably lie on my side is to slightly curl into a fetal position. If my legs overlap while on my side it becomes extremely uncomfortable. Lying directly on my back it will feel okay but I have a hard time sleeping like that normally.

I'm sure I need to go see a chiropractor as this isn't getting any better. But I had just figured this was typical back pain that all aging males tend to develop, but now I'm not so certain this is typical.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
For the past 2 years or so I've had what I thought was your typical lower back pain. It's not so much a pain as in I move a certain way and it hurts, it's just a consistent discomfort and tightness that's always there. It's not debilitating, though. I exercise routinely and it doesn't prevent me from doing the various movements and the exercises themselves doesn't increase the amount of discomfort I have. In fact Id' say my back feels slightly better afterwards, although not a whole lot.

What DOES amplify it is lying in bed for a length of time. By morning I'm in very uncomfortable state because it literally feels like my back is being twisted if I'm lying on my side. The only way I can comfortably lie on my side is to slightly curl into a fetal position. If my legs overlap while on my side it becomes extremely uncomfortable. Lying directly on my back it will feel okay but I have a hard time sleeping like that normally.

I'm sure I need to go see a chiropractor as this isn't getting any better. But I had just figured this was typical back pain that all aging males tend to develop, but now I'm not so certain this is typical.
I'm not a doctor, but pain isn't "typical." If you're experiencing pain, something's not right. Ask around for a recommendation for a good chiropractor, and follow through with it. You can fly blind, but I don't recommend it. Some chiros think mangling you is the best way to treat. I prefer a more delicate touch.

You're probably doing a chronic behavior that has caused you to get out of whack. I'm not saying mindlessly embrace everything the chiro tells you, but hopefully they can give you insight as to what you can do to maintain their adjustments and not have to throw a bunch of cash at them for continuous treatment.

For me, my pelvis is constantly going into anterior rotation because I do so much sitting and am sedentary. Chiropractic adjustments of my hips/pelvis feel amazing and literally put a spring in my step, but they don't last long because I go right back to sitting on my ass 8 hours a day. I mostly see a chiropractor for my neck and shoulders. Those adjustments stick and give me huge relief from what used to be chronic pain.

Crazily

N00b
I have a degenerative wrist condition which causes me pain. It's probably from 20+ years of video games. I have a vicodin script I fill every few months but I worry about getting addicted to it. Doc's just put me on tramadol so I have been taking that for the last week and a half. It's been amazing but after researching this drug I decided to take myself off of it. Everyone says this drug has horrible withdrawals and not worth taking. It's only been a week and a half but I woke up this morning (stopped taking on Friday, today is Sunday) and felt like crying for no reason. Jumped on the computer and have come to realize it must be this drug. F this stuff. It's hard to see the light, when your surrounded by darkness.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I'm not a doctor, but pain isn't "typical."...
That isn't 100% correct. At least not in every sense. I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis a few months ago, and life has been full of agony since then. I thought that things were bad enough when I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis some 6 years ago now, but this just recently crept up on me and struck me with full force. I wake up as a cripple a good 70% of the time. Barely able to walk. I have to clearly analyze how I'm going to stand up after my morning shit. It's the worst. And it was amazing just how fast it came on. I had some routine stiffness. They gave me a few blood tests and I was diagnosed. Then I began taking a prescription medication at the rheumatologists request. Ever since then... Ugh, not fun at all.
And to think that I'm only 32. My wrists, elbows, knees, fingers, toes, ankles... fucking EVERYTHING hurts. But not my back or neck, so that's a plus.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Am I reading that correctly, did the medication for your arthritis actually make it worse?

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I don't know if it's the medication or just a coincidence. I've tried skipping a dose and I feel even worse when I do. It just came on REALLY fast. I was in a bit of pain, but since taking the medication, I've been in agony. I just don't know what else to do. When we head to Japan in September, I told my wife that I want her family to find me a REALLY good acupuncture person. So maybe that will help a bit, but that isn't until September. As it stands, I keep getting additional shit prescribed to me.

I'm on a drug called Tecfidera for my MS, but then I have 5mg Prednisone (steroid) to help with pain, then actual Arthritis medicines are Hydroxychloroquine, Sulfazine & Naproxen. And I still have to pop 6 Tylenol per day to help with the pain. All this shit must be destroying my liver.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
That isn't 100% correct. At least not in every sense. I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis a few months ago, and life has been full of agony since then. I thought that things were bad enough when I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis some 6 years ago now, but this just recently crept up on me and struck me with full force. I wake up as a cripple a good 70% of the time. Barely able to walk. I have to clearly analyze how I'm going to stand up after my morning shit. It's the worst. And it was amazing just how fast it came on. I had some routine stiffness. They gave me a few blood tests and I was diagnosed. Then I began taking a prescription medication at the rheumatologists request. Ever since then... Ugh, not fun at all.
And to think that I'm only 32. My wrists, elbows, knees, fingers, toes, ankles... fucking EVERYTHING hurts. But not my back or neck, so that's a plus.
Don't get me wrong, I'm sorry you're going through this, but I'm not sure how your condition disproves what I said.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
It's typical because you have conditions causing it. Healthy people don't experience pain "for no reason" (contrary to what ShakyJake was insinuating when he said he was experiencing "getting old pains").

Crazily

N00b
For most it isn't typical. For me, it is.
Try Zohydro? It's vicodin without the acetaminophen. I'm sure it's very addictive but I think some of the med's you listed are as well. I'm sorry to hear your condition.....for me, I always try to remember that there's always someone out there that has it worse then you. It's a small ..if sad condolence.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I began eliminating my Arthritis medication from my daily intake last night. I woke up sore this morning, but no worse than I've woken up other days. I want to see how I feel in about a week of no meds. It just seems incredibly unlikely that I went from a bit wrist pain to full body pain in about a week of taking the medication. I wonder if it's doing something to fuck with me.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Here's an update for me.

I've decided that my current Rheumatologist is a waste of time. He's very "by the book" and doesn't think outside of that at all. He wants his treatment above all else (like my MS treatment), and will not bend from that ideology at all.

With that in mind, I started searching for a better Rheumatologist. Turns out the best in the country is at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore. That's a 3 hour drive away. Then I found out if I save EVERY receipt for travel (gas, tolls, hotel, treatment itself), it's tax deductible up to 15% of my annual income. Looks like I'm going to Johns Hopkins some time soon. I've already requested that the current Rheumatologist send them all of my history. I've also asked my Neurologist (for MS) to send his history as well, so they could come up with something that meshes with my MS treatment. Let's see how this works out. I hope they're able to see me sooner than later.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Give me something that works. Ask me not to completely give up on my MS medication just because he thinks the red pill is stronger than the green one. Hell, give me ANY alternative. I hurt more doing what he wants, and that's a no no.

iannis

Musty Nester
The only thing that's worse than something being wrong with your body and it hurting is something being wrong with your body and it not hurting. Ouch man, 32 and eat up with arthritis. I get annoyed because sometimes my ankle will go out on me. An old injury that I didn't treat, and it weakened the joint. I keep expecting to get arthritis in that joint.

Maybe the doc over at Hopkins will be better at explaining medication options. It sounds like your current doc is pretty bad at that. They don't all have a good manner.

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
I get the feeling you're asking for narcotics and he is saying no. I've never had chronic pain, so I don't have any idea what is like to be in your shoes but I would avoid opioid pain medication. Most people end up having lots of problems due to those medications. If you get in to see the doctor at Johns Hopkins, I he can figure something out to help you that doesn't fuck you up for the rest of your life. Good luck, man.