Cities Skylines II

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
If I had to guess i'd say it's seeming like launch will be sucky even on a 4090 for a couple months til they get some optimization sent out since I watched another video where a guy said he was having fps issues just looking at a 37k pop city while zoomed out or something on his 4070.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
The key performance metric appears to be VRAM. Given that we aren't talking about earth-shattering resolutions this lends some weight to the theory that they offloaded a good portion of the simulation details to the GPU much like a crypto-miner would.

Someone I know who has a review code said he actually played it on a single non-ultrawide display and had moderately okay performance if that was literally the only thing the PC was doing.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea I'm real curious to hear how it runs before I buy

This. I want to see. I probably don't need 60 fps like for most games, but say sub 20 or such would suck. And I do want to play @ 1440p.

Seems like dialing in settings will be big part of it. Guy I am watching, turned off one check box and it removed a lot of the blurring(Especially when zoomed out) but that probably hit performance, but he is only at 300 pop, so time will tell.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I had a free month of gamepass sitting around so I set it up today, just finished downloading the game and tried to start up a city two times, instant crash both times.

Edit: Tried it on a different tileset and it loaded (windy fjords) but then immediately tried the waterways one next to it and it crashed a 3rd time while trying to load in.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
The game not only runs like garbage, it looks shitty as well (playing on 4090). Needed at least 6 months to bake and I guess I'm just viewing this as early access. Microsoft games pass games seem to all release a little bit too early which is interesting in and of itself.

There are a ton of good improvements here, and some things have been simplified (for the good) but I'm kind of shocked they released this in the state it's currently in - part of what I loved about CS1 was the environments, granular customizations, etc and all of that is missing here because the game looks like it was designed graphically for a PS4.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 1 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Few more hours in - do not buy this yet. If you have game pass, it may be worth a download to see some systems, etc but wait for a deep deep sale or until they fix this. It's technically one of the worst games I've ever purchased and there is no "good" way to get decent graphics/performance at the same time (I have a 4090, 7800x3d, 64gb ram). Technically, so much of the game is broken or implemented poorly and there are so many wtf things that I couldn't possibly list them all here. I'm really really disappointed and have put upwards of 700 hours in the original off and on over the years and really had high hopes for this game, and while there are some good things under the hood (and a ton of optionality), the optimization and fidelity is so dated, so busted I'd have a hard time even recommending this on game pass as it may just be an exercise in frustration. Damn.... I was hoping to use this game as my turn off brain, relax over the holidays game - if it's "fixed" by Christmas 24' to an acceptable standard I'll be surprised. I've played Alpha's, f&f pre alphas in better states than this game...

1698179002530.png

• 6Like
  • 2Rustled
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>

according to this guy, there's a bug with the Level of Detail setting having too big an impact. So setting it to very low should have a big improvement to performance.
Yeah I'm able to squeeze out 60 fps at 2k on the 4090 (even though my monitor is 4k) - which takes the fidelity of the game from shit to fucking-shit. It looks way too poor graphically to be as unoptimized as it is. You can get it to play, but it looks so awful I'm not sure why you'd want to actually play it. I don't have a great point of reference for how this game looks, but it genuinely looks like a last gen game (at best - the water, lighting, rendering might even be worse than last gen) requiring CP2077 levels of graphical power. It's honestly some feat they've achieved delivering such an ugly game that requires a quantum computer to run. Shit just makes me sad, man.

• 1Rustled
  • 1Worf

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I messed with it for a little bit... it got so dark at one point it was hard to place buildings. And the shadows and stuff looked so bad, so many jaggies, etc.

Placing some larger buildings and they want roads... but wont snap to any, ended up just sloppily wrapping them in roads after I built them to get the prompt to go away (instead of, say, making sure a node on the building was connected like I'd expect to be able to do).

Overall, feels like a game that came out several years ago.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I'm able to squeeze out 60 fps at 2k on the 4090 (even though my monitor is 4k) - which takes the fidelity of the game from shit to fucking-shit. It looks way too poor graphically to be as unoptimized as it is. You can get it to play, but it looks so awful I'm not sure why you'd want to actually play it. I don't have a great point of reference for how this game looks, but it genuinely looks like a last gen game (at best - the water, lighting, rendering might even be worse than last gen) requiring CP2077 levels of graphical power. It's honestly some feat they've achieved delivering such an ugly game that requires a quantum computer to run. Shit just makes me sad, man.

I seriously don't get this. The videos I've watched of early review people have all looked wonderful, at high frame rate.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Decreased quality because I yolo'd it up onto this other site, but this is the lighting/shadow stuff that bugs me. Instead of it being kind of striking everything becomes a quivering mess.

• 2WTF
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 2 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I seriously don't get this. The videos I've watched of early review people have all looked wonderful, at high frame rate.

Yeah I dunno. Maybe i am not just a graphic snob. What was watching some streams/videos today and it looks perfectly fine to me. I certainly wouldn't classify it as "shit". What I do worry about is performance as population grows. The ones I have seen today are all with under 5k people. So its hard to judge. And most of the ones I have seen today do set some features to disabled or low(fog, water, volumetric). And its across all 3 resolutions. 1080p, 1440p and 4k. The one I saw at 4k, looked fine and he said he was getting about 50fps. But again it was low pop, he had something like 3k people. So I really worry about reaching the higher populations. My fear is once you get to say 20/30k , it just starts degrading fast.

Which like you said is crazy, as it looked fine on videos 1-2 weeks ago, and they had those populations and higher, with no noticeable issues. Sure editing hides a lot, but there were plenty of videos of continuous play.

Just crazy it was pushed to release. They had to have people playing at home and there on site, hitting these populations and see the issues. But the suits probably wanted it out.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It's sad they released the game in such a state. The game has "mostly negative" reviews on Steam which are obviously all warranted.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I love how they thought releasing a statement saying they knew the optimization was bad would be able to alleviate people's disappointment.

Goonsquad Officer
Nobody cares if a game takes a bit longer and works. Why do they do this so much.

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Nobody cares if a game takes a bit longer and works. Why do they do this so much.

It sucks, but at least we can be reasonably sure that at some point there will be a good, fun game. More than can be said for a lot of big developers and their turds lately *cough d4 cough*

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Because people in charge still think the pr/stock hit in delaying a game is a worse than a bad launch.

Who those people are is up in the air, the executives at the top, a board and/or shareholders.

• 1Like