Cities Skylines II

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
With a game like this it's important to release it correctly. It will reap better sales for DLC that they will be rolling out down the line and over the years. No one is going to buy the DLC if the game runs like a shit show.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
This is unfortunate... after SimCity just crapping the bed, City Skylines pretty well was able to step in and take over the genre. This should be an easy release for them. Like others have said, they just needed to release a game that worked and then sell DLCs over the next few years. I think people were really looked forward to this and they just didn't deliver. I'm sure it will be fine but it just sucks that we thought we were saved from SimCity's disaster just to be hit with some disappointment.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

faille

Molten Core Raider
Playing around for a bit and seem mostly fine with settings turned down, then hits 4k ish size, and it ground to a halt.
Given how shit this is, it really begs the question of what reason there is to play this over the first one?

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Some people have said turning level of detail off helps a ton, and dynamic resolution off makes it stop looking like garbage.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Damn. This was to be my beer and relax game for the next couple years.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

faille

Molten Core Raider
After playing around for a bit, I'm not sure I like their development tree system. Seems like just a finicking and annoying way to upgrade things. seems like you're just going to end up with everything eventually as you play long enough.
I would have much preferred it if it was a true tree, where you use it to shape and customise your city into a certain style.
and I know city builders in general are primarily sandbox games, but I would have loved to see more guided / challenge option. My favourite city builder atm is Against the Storm, which is more focused on that, though probably more of a supply chain builder than a city builder

Goonsquad Officer
So is it like the last few sim cities, where if you build one coal plant, you melt the ice caps and doom the earth? While tiny wind mills put out tons of power. Or is it slightly realistic

• 3Worf
  • 1Faggotry
Reactions: 3 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So is it like the last few sim cities, where if you build one coal plant, you melt the ice caps and doom the earth? While tiny wind mills put out tons of power. Or is it slightly realistic
Wind farms should have a flock of birds periodically fly down and the exit out the other side as red mist. And solar farms should take up 10x the space of any other structure in the game and be as much of an eyesore as possible (which should be easy to accomplish in the game's current state). Add in frequent brownouts in the city if you choose to use "alternative" energy and you've got your peak realism.

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
Decreased quality because I yolo'd it up onto this other site, but this is the lighting/shadow stuff that bugs me. Instead of it being kind of striking everything becomes a quivering mess.

My shadows are even worse than this. Granted, I haven't messed around with settings too much yet, but the shadows are horrible. There should be an epilepsy warning. I'm getting around 45 fps on an empty map, so better than I expected. The game is definitely in need of some work before it's fully playable though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
My shadows are even worse than this. Granted, I haven't messed around with settings too much yet, but the shadows are horrible. There should be an epilepsy warning. I'm getting around 45 fps on an empty map, so better than I expected. The game is definitely in need of some work before it's fully playable though.
The problem is that 45 fps with those shadows gets infinitely worse as the population starts ramping up.

Still pissy with how this launched, but the Alan Wake reviews are easing my annoyance a bit.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Yeah it's its not like the models even look nice anyways - they like like Sims characters from an Ipad game. Odd decisions all around.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's a race, who fixes it first. The developer or mods.

Kind of crazy though, that as soon as you are out of "zoomed in mode", all the sims and such just don't go into very low detail mode, until you want to take a close look again.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Looks like there were some game-breaking bugs with the economy simulation that they worked around by crippling the resource management, largely turning it into a city painter with traffic (which is how I felt City Skylines 1 was).

• 2Like
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 2 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So my decision to wait and buy later, once its all fixed(by devs or mods), is looking better by the day.

Which is a shame, I was looking forward to the game, I love sitting back and just relax play these types of games.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Disappointing launch for sure. Really hope they're able to knock out some high benefit patches quickly.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Why the fuck do they have teeth
Yeah, I came here to post exactly this. I had the story bookmarked on my phone.

Like why do they even open their mouths? I bet they have toes too. <bigp>This is all feet degenerates' fault somehow.</bigp>

• 1Worf