Classic Films

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Casablanca (1942)

Tagline: They had a date with fate in Casablanca!

Genre: Drama, Romance

Director: Michael Curtiz

Cast: Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman, Paul Henreid, Claude Rains, Conrad Veidt, Sydney Greenstreet, Peter Lorre, S.Z. Sakall, Madeleine Lebeau, Dooley Wilson, Joy Page, John Qualen, Leonid Kinskey, Curt Bois, Enrique Acosta, Ed Agresti, Louis V. Arco, Frank Arnold, Leon Belasco, Nino Bellini, Oliver Blake, Monte Blue, Eugene Borden, Dick Botiller, Maurice Brierre, Sebastian Cabot, Anita Camargo, George M. Carleton, Spencer Chan, Melie Chang, Tex Cooper, Gino Corrado, Franco Corsaro, Adrienne D'Ambricourt, Marcel Dalio, Helmut Dantine, Jean De Briac, George Dee, Jean Del Val, Carl Deloro, Joseph DeVillard, Arthur Dulac, William Edmunds, Herbert Evans, Fred Farrell, Adolph Faylauer, O.K. Ford, Martín Garralaga, Gregory Gaye, Gregory Golubeff, Ilka Grüning, Creighton Hale, Winifred Harris, Jamiel Hasson, Arthur Stuart Hull, Olaf Hytten, Charles La Torre, George J. Lewis, Manuel Lopez, Jacques Lory, Lou Marcelle, Tony Martelli, George Meeker, Lal Chand Mehra, Hercules Mendez, Louis Mercier, Torben Meyer, Alberto Morin, Leo Mostovoy, Corinna Mura, Barry Norton, Lotte Palfi Andor, Paul Panzer, Manuel París, Alexander Pollard, Frank Puglia, Georges Renavent, Dewey Robinson, Richard Ryen, Dan Seymour, Lester Sharpe, Dina Smirnova, Gerald Oliver Smith, George Sorel, Geoffrey Steele, Ludwig Stössel, Mike Tellegen, Rafael Trujillo, Jacques Vanaire, Ellinor Vanderveer, Norma Varden, Hans Heinrich von Twardowski, Jack Wise, Wolfgang Zilzer, Trude Berliner, Paul Porcasi, Max Linder, Frank Mazzola, Henry Rowland, Leo White, Paul Irving, Brandon Beach, Victor Romito, Michael Mark, Bhogwan Singh

Release: 1942-11-26

Runtime: 102

Plot: In Casablanca, Morocco in December 1941, a cynical American expatriate meets a former lover, with unforeseen complications.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
With the dearth of anything really new coming out and most of the stuff that is being garbage, I have been spending time re-watching old classics. My wife was never a big movie fan so I have realized she lived a deprived life and has never seen very many of the great old ones. Lately we watched Casablanca, the Hustler & Color of Money, 3 Days of the Condor, the Boys from Brazil, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Lawrence of Arabia and last night I caught Zulu. One good thing about free streaming channels like IMDB, Tubi and Pluto is they have a nice selection of older classics. One never has to concern oneself with SJW crap in movies made before 1980.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I have a DoVi rip of Lawrence of Arabia I've been wanting to watch when I have the time to devote 4 hours to a movie. I'm hoping it's as good as people say.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I have a DoVi rip of Lawrence of Arabia I've been wanting to watch when I have the time to devote 4 hours to a movie. I'm hoping it's as good as people say.
It was on Amazon Prime last month. Not sure if it is still available for free. I find with the classics you have to sit back and acknowledge some shit is what it is (special effects, even scenes of driving in a car) in terms of age and language. Watching Zulu you see every African women shirtless with titties hanging out and the Boer making frequent use of the word Kaffir. Different times.

Watching how the Brits used formation rank fire against waves of charging Zulu warriors was amazing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
I watched Zulu a few years ago. I think it was back when I was on pay TV ( cable ) .

Full 1080 HD conversion. It was fantastic, visually great and the action holds up pretty good. There's a really good scene before the big battle when the Zulu chant, the British soldiers then respond by doing their singing. It got the goosebumps coming up.

I think a lot of these older films have been undeservedly put on a back shelf, due in large part to the fact most people only ever watched them on old school TV. If you didn't see them in the cinema during their run, then your only other option was a poor image quality, 4:3 aspect ratio TV conversion. Which if you had watched from VHS tape, then a few steps of lower quality again.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I watched Zulu a few years ago. I think it was back when I was on pay TV ( cable ) .

Full 1080 HD conversion. It was fantastic, visually great and the action holds up pretty good. There's a really good scene before the big battle when the Zulu chant, the British soldiers then respond by doing their singing. It got the goosebumps coming up.

I think a lot of these older films have been undeservedly put on a back shelf, due in large part to the fact most people only ever watched them on old school TV. If you didn't see them in the cinema during their run, then your only other option was a poor image quality, 4:3 aspect ratio TV conversion. Which if you had watched from VHS tape, then a few steps of lower quality again.
It was just so... British. "I am an engineer with no field experience but I out rank you by 3 months." "What are your orders sir?" Perfect.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I recommend Cleopatra. The film almost bankrupt Fox and it looks magnificent. Elizabeth Taylor never looked sexier too.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Szlia

The peplum to end all pepla (though technically not a peplum since it's about Ramses XIII), is the 1966 polish film Pharaoh.

LOL at that format, that seem to me even wider than 2.35.

• 1Like

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
His Girl Friday.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I was listening to Bert Kreischer interview Jason Biggs on his Podcast this morning, and it really put me in the mood to watch American Pie again. I haven't seen it since it was in theaters.

Turns out there's 9 of them now. Jesus christ. They just keep going.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
3 incredible classics from 100 years ago. no CGI. no stuntman for the actor. people get fucked up. probably a few dead horsies. blueprint for most of the action films you seen.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I have a soft spot for Bogart. He did some of my favorite films. Casablanca, Maltese Falcon, Key West, To Have and Have Not, the Big Sleep, Sierra Madre.

Also, if you have never seen the original Manchurian Candidate (fuck that shitty remake), it is top shelf. So is 12 Angry Men.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
It's getting close to the 80's but Jeremiah Johnson for sure

I was convinced I was going to be a high mountain trapper until I was about 12 because of this movie

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Cool Hand Luke and The Hustler are two movies I can always watch. Paul Newman was the best actor of the 20th Century.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
If you want something more recent and are a western fan I highly recommend The Searchers. It might be the best Western ever made. Its my favorite John Ford film.

I also recommend the anti western McCabe and Mrs Miller by the great Robert Altman.

Another one I love is Shane. I have a real soft spot for that movie. Has lots of similar themes to The Searchers.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
If you want something more recent and are a western fan I highly recommend The Searchers. It might be the best Western ever made. Its my favorite John Ford film.

I also recommend the anti western McCabe and Mrs Miller by the great Robert Altman.

Another one I love is Shane. I have a real soft spot for that movie. Has lots of similar themes to The Searchers.
have you seen Night Of The Grizzly? its about a killer bear that is a sneaky mofo and doubles back on you if you try to track it.. its a good old western with all the character actors of the time. Clint Walker stars and the dude is basically so chiseled you would think he was drawn from a superhero comic book.
6226_1.jpg

• 1Like
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database