Cologne / Perfume Reviews

SirFapsAlot

Golden Squire
No it's been a while, but I've been thinking I need to pick up something new for a while. I've just been using the same old fragrance I've been using forever now. Takes me forever to get through one, I don't like to have a strong or overpowering scent.
Check out the Chanel I recommended above, it can wear light if you want, with just two sprays. I like to spray four times, at 110 for 50ml it won't break the bank either. Got this on suggestion of CoalMan from misc, who was an OG in the cologne megathread, did a blind buy and it worked out great.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
I've had 2 bottles of stetson for like 20 years. Wife likes it but i feel like it quickly fades and almost stars too strong.

Never use it hardly given I've not finished them. Not sure if folks just reapply when some body has a good perfume/cologne smell from 5 feet away at 4 in the afternoon.

Id probably use something just because I get insecure about getting a bit stale by the end of the day being just under the level of sweating due to my vest am day, I always shower the second I'm home.

Anything pleasant but not "loud" that is long lasting and isn't some >$100 fru fru thing?

Regarding long-lasting frags:
-EdPs (Eau de Parfums) generally project less (less "loud") and last longer versus EdTs (Eau de Toilettes).
-Some people just have skin chemistry that allows fragrances to glom onto them for longer
-Apply right after you get out of the shower in the morning, because your pores will be open.
-In some cases, people do reapply - there are some frags that last all day, there are others that only last a couple hours

There are so many different varieties of fragrance out there; it's really hard to get a sense for what you might like unless you have a reference point for one that you really like or hate.

2 ways to get a baseline:
1) Go to a department store like Macy's or Nordstrom and do some sampling. Write down the names of some things that you like (and hate), and then you'll have a general sense of the notes that you like and dislike. I generally don't like vanilla or flower/powder bombs, for instance.
2) Find a site like Dossier that makes dupes (generic, non-brand name frags) and lets you do no/low-cost returns if you don't like the scents. They are where I get my Wood Sage and Sea Salt dupe from. Costco also lets you do free returns, although you'll need to buy enormous bottles.

Fougeres: Stetson is a fougere. The most popular "AAA" designer fougere right now is probably Sauvage. Not specifically recommending Sauvage, but that'll at least give you a sense as to whether you like fougeres.
Woods: Hermes does good woody stuff - Terre d'Hermes if you like spice with your woods, H24 if you don't. They are on the more expensive side, but not as insane as the really high-end stuff like YSL or Creed, and they usually last a reasonably long time. Dior Homme Sport is also good. The Chanel that SFAL mentioned is also good.
Aquatics: Everyone wears Acqua di Gio, but there's a reason why everyone wears it - lasts a while, moderate price, crowd-pleaser. Kenzo does good aquatics, too. Jo Malone's Wood Sage and Sea Salt is one of my favorites, but again, it's not a very strongly masculine scent, and the performance is awful (only a couple hours), so you are better buying dupes of it.
Vanilla Bombs: Pick literally any cologne by JPG. They are "in" right now. :p

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I haven't worn cologne since the 90's. However the ones I wore were Drakkar, Polo Sport, and Fahrenheit.

1000004170.png

Tasty The Treat

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Check out the Chanel I recommended above, it can wear light if you want, with just two sprays. I like to spray four times, at 110 for 50ml it won't break the bank either. Got this on suggestion of CoalMan from misc, who was an OG in the cologne megathread, did a blind buy and it worked out great.
Thanks bud, will do!

• 1Like