Computer Chairs

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
yeah you can leave it off and i considered it but it really doesn't cause me as much issue as I thought. If i'd sat it in before i bought it though I wouldn't have. It's also a little narrow, not bad but if you're fat it would be a no go. I'm 6' 190, i'd say at 210 my ass would be into the armrests.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Moved into a new house, and my entire computer setup changed. Old place had a built in office nook that worked out pretty well with a normal office chair, but in the new house I'm back to a normal desk. I wanna upgrade the chair, so I tired using one of our recliners as the chair, and I ended up flipping backwards in it when I got into it. Oops...

So now I'm looking at chairs. I'm a big dude, 6'6" 330lbs. These tiny ass chairs everyone is talking about clearly won't work, but any recommendations?

Thanks guys.

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
Moved into a new house, and my entire computer setup changed. Old place had a built in office nook that worked out pretty well with a normal office chair, but in the new house I'm back to a normal desk. I wanna upgrade the chair, so I tired using one of our recliners as the chair, and I ended up flipping backwards in it when I got into it. Oops...

So now I'm looking at chairs. I'm a big dude, 6'6" 330lbs. These tiny ass chairs everyone is talking about clearly won't work, but any recommendations?

Thanks guys.
Computer Chairs

That chair will handle you.

Crone

Computer Chairs

That chair will handle you.
It seems living in Seattle has it's advantages. All of the start-ups dumping inventory after failure makes for tons of good chairs on CL. Thanks for the recommendation, I'm seeing some Leap V2s on CL for $440 or so. Not bad considering it's like 60% off.

Crone

Am I the only one who thinks $942 for a fucking desk chair is clinical insanity?
If you had a job that you sat 8 hours a day I'd say it's worth it. For anything else, not really. I'd consider something like that but only at a steep discount I can find on Craigslist. On it's own, it's way too expensive.

Actually saw today some Steelcase Leap V2's all over one of my works offices. Typical corporate office, where they literally are ALL over the place. I wanted to take one so I can have it for my work chair at least, but even though would cause problems unfortunately.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I mean, I'm in my chair for 8-10 hours a day for work but I've always been satisfied with simple $100 range chairs you can get at any normal office supply store. I maybe buy a chair once every few years. I guess I'm just not as rough on them as the average person. I don't really require all that fancy ergonomic stuff, as long as it's comfortable and has a high back I'm usually satisfied.

I recently bought a Serta chair made for fat people like myself for around $125, and am completely satisfied. Sits better than all the other ergonomic chairs the office offered.

Near $1000 for something to sit in though? I can't see myself doing that. I sleep more than I sit and I don't think my current mattress even cost that much, haha. :p

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
If you buy a new chair every 2 years you're already at $500 and the HM would have lasted you longer and is more comfortable

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've used the same shitty chair for like 10 years. That said I don't have back problems or discomfort so I'm probably not the target audience

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If you buy a new chair every 2 years you're already at $500 and the HM would have lasted you longer and is more comfortable

I buy one every 3 or so, and at $125 a chair that's like, $375 in 9 years - how did you calculate $500 in two? =/

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Am I the only one who thinks $942 for a fucking desk chair is clinical insanity?

Think about it like a bed. Assume most folks on here due to job / hobby sit at a chair 8+ hours a day. Lords knows we spend 1000+ on a bed. A good chair should last longer than a good bed IMO.

Gonna go check out a used Aeron tomorrow, selling for 400 bucks with back support (no head rest).

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I totally understand what you guys are saying about spending a lot of time in the chair meaning you should get something quality, I truly do - I just can't fathom the level of difference in comfort making that high of a purchase even logical. It best feel like i'm sitting on a floating cloud having my asscheeks caressed by baby cherubs for a cost like that. I'll just have to try it one of these days and see what the big deal is.

I mean, some of you have to at least partially see where i'm coming from - the most mentions i see about said $942 chair are you guys looking through CL for used ones in the $400 range, so you clearly think the $942 is a bit steep. :D

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I totally understand what you guys are saying about spending a lot of time in the chair meaning you should get something quality, I truly do - I just can't fathom the level of difference in comfort making that high of a purchase even logical. It best feel like i'm sitting on a floating cloud having my asscheeks caressed by baby cherubs for a cost like that. I'll just have to try it one of these days and see what the big deal is.

I mean, some of you have to at least partially see where i'm coming from - the most mentions i see about said $942 chair are you guys looking through CL for used ones in the $400 range, so you clearly think the $942 is a bit steep. :D

Well fuck ya it's steep as shit if you can get it for half that. Farts breeze right through a mesh chair like that but I'll be god damned if I'd ever sleep on a used bed from a stranger.

If I couldn't get a cheap one I'd pay the 950 though. I used an Aeron at my old job and they just can't be beat.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
yea, that's a pretty dumb way of thinking, as proven by this thread.

Why? you sit your ass on an office chair for 8-15 or MORE hours a day. 900bucks over 3 years is $1 a day for great ergonomics. If you got a quality chair, it'll last 6years, that's .50c a day... even longer? basically costs nothing.

$600 for my ergo human that's lasting 10years? currently, what has broken? one adjustment switch snapped off, a bit of gorilla glue fixes that, however, how many times do you ever adjust your chair? only when you get it the first few days and you get it, just right, so that switch is never touched.

I've bought replacement caster wheels, 20ish bucks for a set of 5? after 7years of rolling, they just broke.

Other than that, just a weekly antibacterial wipe down to get rid of the dust.

It's not about comfort, the retards will think it's about comfort, the smart ones are doing preventive measures. You don't want to sit for 16hours and have a fucked up back, you don't want to come out of the office looking like the hunchback of notre dame cuz you have bad posture.

It's all about correct and proper ergonomics, which i'll be more than happy to go through for anyone.

-
First this podcast about "average" the average person, not everyone is obviously the same size, you have to find a chair with as much adjustment properties to suit you, just like how we talked about the giants on here whose head goes beyond a headrest and shoulders hitting it.
On Average - 99% Invisible

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Got my aeron miller base model a week ago used for 400 bucks, base model doesn't have tilt lock (retarded), but the actual mechanism for tilt locking still exists in the guts, so I ordered the locking lever / cable attachments on ebay for 40 bucks. I now have one model level higher of chair. Probably going to order the headrest soon. Loving it so far, my ass thanks me.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Still would like to find a cheaper alternative or used. My existing big padded is straight up so back does me no good unless i was leaning back with a controller game.

Got some back issues from heavy lifting, bottom disc degrading and herniated. Got cortisone shot which we do fun and maybe surgery to remove so i can walk normal.

StJesuz

Graybeard Lurker
I own 2 of these, they are sadly not cheap but built like a tank.

I was able to pick up one of them used, it was a demo model from trade shows. My oldest one I've had for 8 years and it's still in great shape.