Computer Issues

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
My dads PC took a crap. He took it to some pc place who told him the video card was dead, so he got a refurb 1080 for a couple hundred bucks. I made a Windows usb for him. He tried it but it just tries to boot, gets a drive error, then tries to reboot, in an endless cycle.

So we’re thinking screw it, just buy a new mobo, processor, ram. He’s due for an upgrade anyways. Thought I’d check here if anyone has any idea wtf would be causing that before we bought stuff. He’s very budget-y as he’s getting closer to retirement.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My dads PC took a crap. He took it to some pc place who told him the video card was dead, so he got a refurb 1080 for a couple hundred bucks. I made a Windows usb for him. He tried it but it just tries to boot, gets a drive error, then tries to reboot, in an endless cycle.

So we’re thinking screw it, just buy a new mobo, processor, ram. He’s due for an upgrade anyways. Thought I’d check here if anyone has any idea wtf would be causing that before we bought stuff. He’s very budget-y as he’s getting closer to retirement.
boot order error

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
OK, I've got an odd one here. Hopefully I'm just missing something.

System is as follows:
Asus Rog Strix z370-E Gaming
I7-8700k
EVGA 1080 Ti SC Black
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2400
EVGA SuperNOVA, 80+ GOLD, 750W
Samsung EVO 960 m.2 250 GB (boot)
Samsung EVO 850 500 GB
3 HDDs of various sizes

I finally got around to replacing my corsair h115i AIO with a noctua nh-u12s. All I do is replace the AIO, move the HDD cage to the front where the radiator was and put a fan in above that. Check the cables, everything is plugged in just fine.

Fails to boot. Power lights are on, GPU lights up, boot lights stop at RAM, which has not been touched. I fuck around with that for a while and the only way it gets past the RAM check is to not have and stick in the A slots, so no dual channel.

Next issue is no video. Switch over to the IGPU just fine and look in BIOS. BIOS does not see the GPU at all. Says nothing is plugged in to any PCIE slot. I try reseating it, no good. I put it in the 8x slot and it works.

So here I am, wondering if either I managed to damage the motherboard somehow or it's just dying. Any ideas?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Definitely sounds like something shorted on the motherboard.

Just curious, why'd you replace the AIO?

Never was all that happy with it. It wasn't nearly as quiet as I had hoped it would be, especially under load. So far the Noctua is essentially silent at idle and much quieter little bit of gaming I've done with it so far.

As long as things don't get any worse I'll probably just let it limp along until AMD finally releases the new Ryzens.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

System is as follows:
I7-8700k
EVGA 1080 Ti SC Black
Samsung EVO 850 500 GB
3 HDDs of various sizes

I finally got around to replacing my corsair h115i AIO with a noctua nh-u12s. All I do is replace the AIO, move the HDD cage to the front where the radiator was and put a fan in above that. Check the cables, everything is plugged in just fine.

Fails to boot. Power lights are on, GPU lights up, boot lights stop at RAM, which has not been touched. I fuck around with that for a while and the only way it gets past the RAM check is to not have and stick in the A slots, so no dual channel.

Next issue is no video. Switch over to the IGPU just fine and look in BIOS. BIOS does not see the GPU at all. Says nothing is plugged in to any PCIE slot. I try reseating it, no good. I put it in the 8x slot and it works.

So here I am, wondering if either I managed to damage the motherboard somehow or it's just dying. Any ideas?
while it's not gigantor, maybe the u12 is heaavy enough to offset your mb, did you screw down everything?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
while it's not gigantor, maybe the u12 is heaavy enough to offset your mb, did you screw down everything?

Yep, everything is tightened down, no signs of stress on the motherboard. The U12 is actually lighter than the Thermaltake cooler that the AIO replaced. That thing was fucking massive.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Yep, everything is tightened down, no signs of stress on the motherboard. The U12 is actually lighter than the Thermaltake cooler that the AIO replaced. That thing was fucking massive.
That could be the problem, it might be too tight. Try reseating it

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

System is as follows:
I7-8700k
EVGA 1080 Ti SC Black
Samsung EVO 850 500 GB
3 HDDs of various sizes

Do you have an alternate power supply to test?

This almost sounds like a PSU issue

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
so im trying to clean out one of my SSDs and im using windirstat to show me whats taking up space?

i have 94 gigs free right now, when i open windirstat it shows that the only other thing taking up space is marvel avengers which is 60gigs. Then there is 21gigs in "files"
another 13gigs for spellbreak if i deleted all that including the "files" if i can id still only have around 190gb and its showing windows 10 as only using like 10gb so im kinda confused where im losing some storage i know its not exactly 256gb but wheres like 30-40 gb going?

the only thing i can think of is i was never able to correctly uninstall the warzone beta so i wonder if thats it? but nothing else shows in windirstat, if anyone has a better program let me know

pic of what im looking at

123344455.jpg

Argarth

On the verandah
so im trying to clean out one of my SSDs and im using windirstat to show me whats taking up space?

i have 94 gigs free right now, when i open windirstat it shows that the only other thing taking up space is marvel avengers which is 60gigs. Then there is 21gigs in "files"
another 13gigs for spellbreak if i deleted all that including the "files" if i can id still only have around 190gb and its showing windows 10 as only using like 10gb so im kinda confused where im losing some storage i know its not exactly 256gb but wheres like 30-40 gb going?

the only thing i can think of is i was never able to correctly uninstall the warzone beta so i wonder if thats it? but nothing else shows in windirstat, if anyone has a better program let me know

pic of what im looking at

Do you use the Hibernation feature? If not then this will disable Hibernation AND delete the hiberfil.sys file for you. 6.4 GB there.

Windows 10 (1903 on) also "reserves" about 7 GB of space for upgrades on C: and hides it from Windows Explorer. Don't know if WinDirStat reveals it. (haven't used it)

1600833015180.png

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Do you have an alternate power supply to test?

This almost sounds like a PSU issue

I have an old 550w PSU but I don't think it has the right plugs for the video card. I do have a PSU tester laying around somewhere though. Will have to find it and see what it says.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Hey guys

I have a issue after I updated the 2nd to last Nvidia driver (last week for the 3080)
The right half of my screen turns black when I start up a game or app.

It looks like this (random internet stock photo)

maxresdefault.jpg

When I turn off Gsync it fixes it. Should I just keep Gsync off? Could just be me but I feel like it doesn’t look as good. Any ideas? I still get it on another monitor and-new dvi cable.

thanks

Last edited:

Argarth

On the verandah
Hey guys

I have a issue after I updated the 2nd to last Nvidia driver (last week for the 3080)
The right half of my screen turns black when I start up a game or app.

It looks like this (random internet stock photo)

When I turn off Gsync it fixes it. Should I just keep Gsync off? Could just be me but I feel like it doesn’t look as good. Any ideas? I still get it on another monitor and-new dvi cable.

thanks

Both 456.38 and 456.55 have this as an open issue, assuming you have a Freesync Display. You may have to go back to 452.22

## [G-SYNC]: With G-SYNC enabled on some Freesync displays, half of the screen goes black. [3133895]

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Both 456.38 and 456.55 have this as an open issue, assuming you have a Freesync Display. You may have to go back to 452.22

## [G-SYNC]: With G-SYNC enabled on some Freesync displays, half of the screen goes black. [3133895]

ok makes sense and yes I’m in free sync

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I had that issue as well and just disabled GSYNC for now, the 3080 should power most games comfortably right now anyways with no Gsync. Doing that also fixed this odd little stutter/freeze in Genshin Impact that seems to only be affecting 3080's... Early adopter "tax" as usual.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Corsair iCue software is malware, I’m convinced. Installed it to map the buttons on an mmo mouse I bought. Nothing but trouble since if it’s running. Hard locks, video crashes/resets, random reboots, black screens, sound errors. If I don’t launch it, the mouse buttons don’t work but my system works again. Fucking garbage software, I’ve renamed the pair of .dlls people have suggest to disable but haven’t relaunched the software since then to test. Too paranoid to want to deal with more crashing and just going back to my Logitech and finally remapping it’s annoying dpi buttons to actual keys instead.