Coronavirus Updates, Important Information, and Ancedotal Experience

Pescador

Trakanon Raider
Gilead announced that remdesivir hit it's primary endpoint in an NIH trial. This is in contrast to their failed trial in China. Likely the main difference is that the drug is given earlier and to less severe cases than they tried in China.

The primary endpoint is time to recovery at day 29, meaning that they treated patients with remdesivir or placebo for a month and then compared how long it took to be considered "recovered". A patient is considered recovered if they meet at least one of the following criteria:

1) Hospitalized, not requiring supplemental oxygen - no longer requires ongoing medical care; 2) Not hospitalized, limitation on activities and/or requiring home oxygen; 3) Not hospitalized, no limitations on activities.

They changed their definition of "recovery" compared to the China trial as well, which I found odd. So in this trial a patient can remain hospitalized on oxygen and be considered "recovered". I do understand the difficulty in selecting study objectives since this disease is so new, so I don't want to be too critical.

It's promising and suggests that early intervention could provide some benefit. I would wait for the NIAID official announcement with some actual numbers, because it's possible to meet this endpoint without actually improving the death rate. A clue about the "true" effectiveness will be how open NIAID and Gilead are with key statistics such as death rate, incodence of progression to severe disease, etc.

The reason I'm a little skeptical is because they buried some of these important readouts within twenty-eight (28!!!) secondary readouts, which means they are fishing for any positive data. Even if you compared two placebos, with 28 different readouts you almost expect one or two of them to hit significance, especially if you do what's called "hypothesis-generating" analysis to prevent all these comparisons from destroying your statistical power.

This treatment also requires daily IV infusions for 5-10 days, which means it's pretty much only suitable for patients who need a week or longer in the hospital anyways.

Tl;dr: this is great news because it's the first real, blinded, controlled data suggesting any therapeutic benefit. HOWEVER, approach with very cautious optimism due to many reasons described above that. A cure this is not.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
Follow-up on the Abbott Labs antibody test. Wife and I took ours today. If you have insurance you can't be charged under the new law. If you dont have insurance its $120 to buy the test. If you have insurance you need a Dr prescription or pay out of pocket and have your insurance reimburse.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
Absolute brilliance. For those who don't get the joke, NYC Mayor DeBlasio ordered NYPD to summons/arrest Jews who were at a funeral for a famous Rabbi.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
DeBlasio's tweet...

Screenshot_20200429-080513_Twitter.jpg

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Follow-up on the Abbott Labs antibody test. Wife and I took ours today. If you have insurance you can't be charged under the new law. If you dont have insurance its $120 to buy the test. If you have insurance you need a Dr prescription or pay out of pocket and have your insurance reimburse.

Where can I buy them?

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
COVID-19 Service Provider Update
April 29, 2020
Quest Diagnostics now offers COVID-19 antibody testing
Last week Quest announced they have started testing for the COVID-19 antibody using blood samples.

Antibodies developed by the body in response to a viral infection may provide potential immunity against future infection. According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, COVID-19 antibody testing may indicate that "the person has been exposed to the virus and developed antibodies against it, which may mean that person has at least some immunity to the coronavirus." Antibody testing uses blood serum specimens and is sometimes referred to as serology testing. This test aids in detecting the presence of immunoglobulin class G (IgG). IgG antibody response typically develops by 14 days after symptom onset.

Antibody testing available for direct-to-consumers
Individuals can now request COVID-19 antibody testing for themselves online, without visiting a doctor's office, through QuestDirect, the consumer-initiated testing business of Quest Diagnostics. The new service broadens access to COVID-19 antibody testing in the United States. Each test request is reviewed and, if appropriate, an order for testing is issued by a licensed physician. Individuals have the opportunity to speak with a licensed physician about their results. >>Read press release

Antibody testing available soon for life insurers
Since this is a blood test, insurance companies will be able to add it to their routine panel. Life insurance applicants will still have the option to have the paramedical exam completed at their home, or at a Quest Patient Service Center (PSC). This antibody test should be available to insurers later in May. >>Request more information

Please note: Antibody testing is not intended for use in individuals with an active COVID-19 infection, including individuals with symptoms. Patients suspected of having or confirmed to have active COVID-19 infection or disease may not visit Quest patient service centers, which are not equipped to collect the necessary respiratory specimens for molecular COVID-19 diagnostic testing. Patients who believe they may have COVID-19 are strongly encouraged to contact their healthcare provider.
If you would like more information on adding the COVID-19 antibody test to your laboratory profile, please reach out to your Strategic Account Executive.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
No way to order it and do it at home?

Thanks.

No. It requires a blood draw and the sample is sent to a lab for processing. You have to go to a Quest center, then you get the results in ~3 days.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
One of the reasons for its accuracy is it isnt a finger prick blood test. It takes a full vial.

Dammit. I could give them a full vial of semen pretty easily.

But on the other hand, I'd RATHER have help collecting that one.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Brikker

Trump's Staff
What the fuck is this shit. Are they saying a CTRL+C that auto-price checks is banable? How would poe-trade macro not be banable too in this regard? What the everliving fuck.

Shit like this makes me want to quit.

Marin and Sonoma are pretty tired of this bullshit from what I can tell.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Got the news that my neighbor's 18 year old grandkid died in a car wreck yesterday. They are the people who are posting on FB every day that the quarantine is stupid and things need to be opened back up. Of course they're having a funeral and chances are it will be a big one. Now I have to decide whether to go or not.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
Got the news that my neighbor's 18 year old grandkid died in a car wreck yesterday. They are the people who are posting on FB every day that the quarantine is stupid and things need to be opened back up. Of course they're having a funeral and chances are it will be a big one. Now I have to decide whether to go or not.
Was it just a freak accident or was someone doing something stupid?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Driving late at night. Probably fell asleep but I don't know.

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
A friend of my wife died two weeks ago from an unforeseen medical problem. The funeral ended up being a family only event with plans for a big to do later. My wife still went to the grave site a couple of hours after the family funeral to pay her respects. She said the funeral home people were pretty on point with following guidelines so perhaps they suggested it be family only.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
A friend of my wife died two weeks ago from an unforeseen medical problem. The funeral ended up being a family only event with plans for a big to do later. My wife still went to the grave site a couple of hours after the family funeral to pay her respects. She said the funeral home people were pretty on point with following guidelines so perhaps they suggested it be family only.
Same with my wife's grandmothers death. They only let in 9 immediate family members to the service