Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
3.00 star(s) Rating: 3.00/5 1 Vote
Title: Cursed

Genre: Action & Adventure, Sci-Fi & Fantasy

First aired: 2020-07-15

Creator: Frank Miller, Tom Wheeler

Cast: Katherine Langford, Devon Terrell, Gustaf Skarsgård, Daniel Sharman, Shalom Brune-Franklin, Lily Newmark, Peter Mullan, Sebastian Armesto, Emily Coates, Zak Holland, Billy Jenkins

Overview: In this fresh take on the Arthurian legend, teenager Nimue joins forces with mercenary Arthur on a quest to find Merlin and deliver an ancient sword.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Anyone watched this yet? I'm highly skeptical, but Warrior Nun was better than I expected, and I've got a thing for Katherine Langford, so I'm inclined to give it a shot. I'd have watched an episode by now if I weren't slammed at work for the next week or so. But if you guys like it, I'll make time for it.

EDIT: Didn't realize it wouldn't put the trailer.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is not as good as the Warrior Nun.

I really enjoy the King Arthur Mythos but this is barely keeping my interest. I find that casting makes a big difference in how well a show does. The casting feels off in this one. Its a shame because the effects are good enough and perhaps one of the few things keeping me watching. I also still watch because I want to know how the future King Arthur was a thief initially?

I will rate this later but so far it is a 2.5. I gave the Warrior nun a 3.5(Would have been a solid 4 if not for the ending).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm with Mahes Mahes after watching four episodes. I don't feel as invested into the story as I did with Warrior Nun, which was partly helped by Warrior Nun having constant cliffhanger like endings that made me want to know what happened in the next episode (the season finale notwithstanding). I'll still finish the season, but I find myself just watching it rather than really caring about it, if that makes sense.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
On last episode, still 4/10. The cast is terribly done, I only like Merlin and Uther who feel they fit the part. Everyone else is terrible and Nimue is annoying and she just doesn’t fit.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I watched the first episode, and not sure I'll continue, particularly with what you guys are saying. Even though I like her in general, Langford seems pretty shitty in this role, and of course Arthur is of ambiguous ethnicity. But the thing that annoyed me the most from that one episode is that it looked like the actor for Merlin mistakenly thought someone said he was playing the part of Captain Jack Merlin. Seriously, look at the couple of scenes where he staggers out of the inn, and staggers in and out of Uther's palace. If you squint your eyes, it could literally be Johnny Depp playing the part.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I watched the first episode, and not sure I'll continue, particularly with what you guys are saying. Even though I like her in general, Langford seems pretty shitty in this role, and of course Arthur is of ambiguous ethnicity. But the thing that annoyed me the most from that one episode is that it looked like the actor for Merlin mistakenly thought someone said he was playing the part of Captain Jack Merlin. Seriously, look at the couple of scenes where he staggers out of the inn, and staggers in and out of Uther's palace. If you squint your eyes, it could literally be Johnny Depp playing the part.

There is only one Merlin.

1595215398080.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

bleedat

Molten Core Raider
this was ok. not great and not terrible. 5/10. I thought it got better towards the end of the season.
Biggest issue really is the casting. Some really odd shit. I also didn't understand Morgana at all.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Just watched this the other night. I actually really liked this.

The plot type stuff was surprisingly weak given the source material and a few of the actors were particularly terrible. The main characters are just not very good. Nimue the actress is decent but the character is written to be this troubled but overpowered jean grey type and, like most xmen jean greys in movies, it sucks on screen. Morgana has no personality and is extremely boring - like she seems to be what I'd expect if someone from tech was asked to read some lines. Arthur is SO bad I'm dumbfounded; he was giving braveheart sounding speeches during intimate scenes one minute but then couldn't seem to control his shit eating grin at all the most awkward times. His singing wasn't even that good either. Given how awful these two were and their skin color this show unfortunately made me think racist thoughts about the casting, and I am NOT someone against the idea of an Arthurian retake where Rome transplants some Africans to the island instead of Khwarazm. But these two were so bad I can only assume they were woke hires and that's really sad. Low hopes for season 2 as a result since Arthur taking over as lead is probably going to be a shitshow.

The one sister is amazing and basically singlehandedly makes the final episode epic. Uther and Merlin were also really great - Uther in particular really impressed me given that he pulls off weak mamas boy, cunning Commodus like snake of a ruler, and comic relief all as needed. I also liked basically every Paladin with more than a few lines. If you're gonna go all "Christians BAD church BAD" trope may as well go all the way and they fucking did!

I highly recommend giving it a chance to anyone on the fence. I expect season two to take a big nasty dump harder than true detective and westworld combined, but who knows?

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The last episode kind of made up for the season. Unlike Warrior Nun you got to see the power of the sword through a person who knew how to wield it. I am a little on the fence at how strong the little girl is. That is the part that makes me kind of cringe a bit. The story would have been better played out not knowing her true intentions until the very end. As a Paladin I can see her at least having authority with back-up.

If they get a second season, I will watch it now that I know the characters and can just pretend it has nothing to do with the usual Camelot stories.

P.S. I assume the Sword of Power is also Excalibur. I am not sure when the name was given to the sword but it felt off that the name was never used. I guess perhaps the name is given when pulled from the stone.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I'll give the pros and cons.

Pro :

I like hearing about what happened before Arthur was crowned king and pulled the sword from the stone.
Enjoy hearing about the Fey and their war with the humans.
Merlin kicked ass. I wanted to see him swiping down more Roman family members.

Cons :
Casting is a tad dodgy. As others have stated, Nimue is passable (read as, not great, not terrible) as the Wolf Blood Witch. And she doesn't come upon amazing sword wielding power as soon as she gets the sword in her hands. She seems to just get lucky.
Morgana just seems like a little baby, always running away. This is after saying that she'll help and stay forever. *bonk*
Plus, I just feel like it was too sterilized. You can feel our middle class of today seeping into the storyline.

The Meh -- Or the could use a little more explanation.
The knights of King Arthur's court being scattered around. And one of them actively fighting against him. And one of them being a child.

I gave it a solid 3. I'll probably watch Season 2, if there is one. It's not great, not terrible.

Last edited:
TV show information provided by The Movie Database