Dark Souls 2

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was watching a Dark Souls 2 stream of an all bosses speed run on PS4 and I remembered the one thing that really annoyed me about this game. Why do enemies/bosses seem to have overhead lazer tracking on you? I mean when a boss/mob attacks and you side step, the boss/mob follows your character almost 180 degrees if they have to. I don't remember that in DS1, and it's certainly not in Bloodborne
It's because From software sold out the name to a different studio to make DS2 while they started working on Bloodsouls. Bloodbourne.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
The tracking has fucked me up a lot too. I probably shouldn't have tried to pick up SotFS while still playing through Bloodborne.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Dark Souls 2 was developed and published by From Software.

A different studio didn't make the game, as far as I can tell.

rrr_img_94461.jpg

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Yeah. Miyazaki didn't lead the development because his team was doing Bloodborne.

Miyazaki's story is frigging amazing, by the way. Dude left Oracle in his late twenties/early 30s to join From with no experience in games development, took over the flagging development of Demon Souls, which was going to be cut because the game was going nowhere, completely rebuilt the game from the ground up, followed it up with Dark Souls 1, and now is the president of the company.

Demon's Souls was Eurogamer.net

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
What's also sweet is that the way he tells the games stories is related to his growing up. He really didn't know how to read and always had to fill in the gaps with his own imagination. Hence why the lore of the games is so open, he wants us to fill in the holes/interpret it

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Agree, its probably one of my favorite parts of the games, the overarching themes obscured by ambiguity, leaving it open to our own interpretations.

I still contend that's one of the reasons classic games were so fun, games like Zelda and the like. The graphics weren't great, the stories were barebones, so it left our imaginations to fill in all the holes. Especially since so many of us were relatively young during that time period, it really utilized our own creativity in ways that helped crystallize those memories of the various achievements we made in those titles.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It happened in all games in the series to varying degrees. The katana assholes on the sky manta level did it in Demons Souls. Anything with a spear did it DS1. Those witch cunts with the hot pokers and the big axe turtle shell guys in the woods area do it in BB. Its a thing they use on certain enemies to make them harder. The Dragonrider twins and the bitch in the painting were the biggest offenders as bosses that I can recall from DS1.

Got to say, playing the redone edition deepens my disappointment with BB. Combat is smooth and precise. Graphics are insanely good. Load times are barely noticeable. Farming is completely unnecessary. Different weapon types actually matter. Difficulty scaling is much more smooth. The only gripes I have are the durability bug and the trololololo shadowy guys in the woods area that replaced the lion dudes. They all have crossbows, are weak mainly to pierce, but you cannot lock on to them at all (which makes fighting them with a pierce weapon or bow extremely annoying). Rest of the game is perfect. Makes me wonder if BB was rushed or if they are spread too thin working on the various projects.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's true that there has always been some amount of pivoting in the games, but DkS2 dialed that retarded shit up to 11. Noodle isn't exaggerating when he says the worst offenders can track almost 180 degrees mid-swing, and it's not just one mob here or there, it's most of the enemies in the game. I hate using a shield because it was completely unnecessary in Demon's Souls and, imo, the combat was vastly superior because of it, but I always felt in DkS2 that they were practically insisting that I use one. Yeah, you could brute force the game with 2H or power stance, but having the window to roll successfully--with reduced rolling i-frames there to add insult to injury--seem as small as the parry window at times is just silly.

As for disappointment with BB, I just can't even fathom how that's possible. If anything DkS2 was the rushed game made by the B-team, while the main dudes were making BB.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Whatever flaws you want to point out in BB, I don't see how anyone could think that combat in any prior game is more precise. The hit boxes in BB are damn near perfect.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
B team or not, this is my favorite in the series and IMO the best game of all time.

As for the series as a whole - I think it's pretty telling that when somebody praises a visionary at the helm of a fucking video game and several people - consider this my response - not only echo the sentiment but contribute more detail to it, it says something. With 3 games - and really, by Dks1, this guy vaulted to the highest creative echelon in gaming, which the most venerated names in industry history now share with him. Brilliant series.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The only thing I hate about these games is after I play one for awhile then pop in another game I am vastly disappointed by the difficulty level

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I have a dual monitor setup, with the smaller 22" 1680*1050 one being the main monitor (so all the shit goes there like the task bar) and the bigger 24" 1920*1080 one is the one I game on.

I take it this setup doesn't work with DS2 at all? I can only do 1680*1050 as max resolution and I can't fullscreen on the secondary monitor...

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I have a similar set up and it works for me.

Try switching which monitor is considered monitor 1 maybe?

Or maybe see if you can dig into the config files and see if its automatically setting it to one over the other and switch that value?

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have a similar set up and it works for me.

Try switching which monitor is considered monitor 1 maybe?

Or maybe see if you can dig into the config files and see if its automatically setting it to one over the other and switch that value?
I could do that, but I'm not gonna change around my main settings because one shoddy console port that doesn't even have borderlines window can't get it right.

Why is there a petrified asshole on tutorial cave number three? Can you not get past him in the tutorial?

I'm streaming this shit nowTwitch

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
I could do that, but I'm not gonna change around my main settings because one shoddy console port that doesn't even have borderlines window can't get it right.

Why is there a petrified asshole on tutorial cave number three? Can you not get past him in the tutorial?

I'm streaming this shit nowTwitch
As with the original, you'll need a fragrant branch. There's an estus shard behind that particular statue - and a handful of basilisks. I had to work up courage to go in there because those things truly scare me for some reason. I dunno if it's the eyes or some Pavlovian reaction to curse from Dks1 but I have trouble looking at them. Their absence in Bloodborne was very welcome.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Making Heide Knights respawning enemies is a really sick move on their part.. really sick...

WHY IS THERE A FUCKING DRAGON IN HEIDES TOWER NOW?!

Does anyone know what this effect is?
I stripped everything, it's not item related..

ZzVKRGs.png