Dark Souls 2

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Should I re-attempt to play through Demon's Souls? I got frustrated as hell from dying over and over in the second area. Or should I just move onto Dark's Souls?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Demon's souls online component is turned off, so there's a ton of stuff you can't do in it now or is far more tedious offline than on (black/white tendency for one).

Just go straight to Dark Souls

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Demon's souls online component is turned off, so there's a ton of stuff you can't do in it now or is far more tedious offline than on (black/white tendency for one).

Just go straight to Dark Souls
Did they turn it off now? It was still on last time I checked a couple months ago.

They've put up warnings about it coming down that they've preempted a number of times for YEARS now though.

[And note, maintaining tendency is actually a hundred times easier offline... its basically impossible to Plat Demon's Souls online because of tendency and the lack of control over it for a few of the item collections]

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I'd heard they'd turned it off.

Its been so long maybe I have the tendency stuff backwards.

I had a Japanese import of Demon's Souls, so I played it like...6 or 8 months or more before the US version released.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Demon's Soul online has been turned off for over a year now. I haven't tried Dark Souls yet. Is there an online component to that?

Vaclav

Demon's Soul online has been turned off for over a year now. I haven't tried Dark Souls yet. Is there an online component to that?
Absolutely wrong there - unless it was off for a while and turned back on - absolutely did some MP in December when I was platinuming it on my new PSN account since I was tired of having rentals with 0-10% completion cluttering my trophies.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I was playing through it last year and the online component was not available.

edit: Looks like the servers are available per google searching. Guess I'll have to re-try Demon's Souls, then.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Absolutely wrong there - unless it was off for a while and turned back on - absolutely did some MP in December when I was platinuming it on my new PSN account since I was tired of having rentals with 0-10% completion cluttering my trophies.
They announced they were turning it off, but there was quite the vocal backlash against it, so they never did.

Regarding Demons Souls. First off, forget about world tendency if you plan to play online. Just go with it, kill, do whatever. However, if you do try offline, remember that there are a lot of mobs that are regarded as innocent. Killing them causes black tendency. For instance in 2-1 there are innocent npcs all around ones that actually attack you (the ones with pickaxes). 3-1 is filled with innocent prisoners that when you open the doors follow you, and annoy the fuck out of you, but if you kill them, black tendency. Then some of them have shivs and stab you. So... annoying.

Remember that in Demon Souls, you do not go 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4 etc. One order could be 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 4-1, 4-2, 4-3, 3-1, 3-2, 3-3, 5-1, 1-3, 5-2, 5-3, 1-4. Game ends in 1-4.

Some good items.
My advice - In 4-1 there is a Creschent Falchion next to a black skeleton in the very beginning. Just go in, kill 1 skeleton, then 4 on the stairs, then 2 on the balcony. Inside the wall, you can go left or right. Go left, then exit the door to the left again. Run past skelly and get it, jump down and run to the exit (hard fight in the beginning).

If you find the skeletons hard, you can go to 5-1 and if you progress about halfway into the level you can find a Blessed Mace. It will twoshot the skeletons in 4-1. Makes for easy soul farming early on as they are worth about 400 each. Once you get the creschent falchion, progressing 5-1 and other levels will become much easier.

The Creschent Falchion is a good weapon for any mage user as it scales with magic. With a sorcerer you can upgrade it to +3 and that should be sufficient to finish the game with that alone. It is gloriously effective on the crystal loot lizards using the R2 attack. Picking the sorcerer is a good choice for beginner, or if you just want to finish it, as soul arrow is very powerful.

Soul arrow + bow can cheese a LOT of encounters in the game, including bosses.

4-2 is a BITCH without a bow. Necromancers/reapers who respawn 4-5 mobs each until killed, but most of them can be taken out with a bow. There is one at the very beginning of 4-2 you can kill with 3-4 arrows from the top for 5000 souls when the reaper + his spawns dies. Takes 40 seconds to zone in, kill, zone out again.

In 4-1 there is a merchant you can free. Read up on how to do it (not difficult at all, just slightly hidden). He appears at the beginning in 4-2 and is very handy.

If you played Dark Souls and not Demon Souls, all items have carry weight in Demon Souls (hate that). So can not carry every armor set on you. Use the guy at nexus to store all items you do not use. Including overflow of healing items and such. EDIT: This is important because if you have max carry weight, and you pick up an item which falls to the ground because it is too heavy, it will dissapear unless you discard something and pick it up. If you carry several armor sets and weapons, none of which you want to lose, and find yourself at max carry weight, stop picking up items/chests.

Tip for Dark Souls. Start as Pyromancer. Pick Master Key. Endurance is very good to level up. No need to ever level up resistance. As no stat scales with pyromancy you can build a warrior with the full damage of pyromancy. Damage scales with the upgrade you put into the weapon. It scales to +15. Then you can get a +5 on the ascended weapon.

Some pyromancy trainer info
First trainer is in the deep (right after butcher). Trapped in a barrel. Roll to break it and he will thank you and appear in Firelink. Second trainer is in a hidden wall where you ring the second bell. There you can also join the shadow covenant. Grind humanity from rats in the deep to save up 30. Offer them to the covenant for a pyromancy spell and open up a shortcut to Lost Izalith. Can abandon the covenant after this. If you give 20 humanity, abandon the covenant, then later rejoin, you will need to give 30 again. Third trainer is by a column not far from the entrance to Quiz in blighttown. Buy all her spells, fully upgrade your weapon, do what she says, and she will give you one last pyromancy spell and dissapear.

With a bow you can cheese a lot of encounters, including bosses. Same as in Demon Souls.

After you ring the first bell, a guy will spawn at the bottom of the belltower. He can clense your sins and abandon covenants. If you abandon a covenant with him, you get no penalty for doing so. If you accidentally hit and aggro a NPC you did not want to, or kill an innocent, you can talk to him and absolve your sins by paying souls 30-40k, based on level. It will reset the aggro of NPCs, making them neutral again.

When you are human, there are several places next to major bosses where you can summon NPCs for aid. Different NPCs are available depending on actions. Some NPC black phantoms that invade you when you are human can be found later as summons next to the area boss.

Some areas are very PvP heavy compared to other places, causing a lot of invasions as a human. You can only be invaded before you kill the area boss. Basically a system that makes sure only newbs get ganked, but that is Dark Souls.

There are many hidden NPCs. Explore and find them all.

There are hidden large zones. Playing online to see player signs is a good idea.

Remember to roll to break things when close to npcs you do not wish to hit.

How to get the ring of fog + how to get back to undead asylum
In the game you will get an item called Shadow Lantern. Only two can be gotten per playthrough. One drops from a mob, one is on the ground. NPC drop in the catacombs and ground drop is in the tomb of the giants with patches (answer no to him by the way, then no to forgiveness, and he will become a merchant). When you have two, you can travel back to the undead asylum and put it in the crowsnest near where the bird drops you, where it says give me warm, give me soft. Drop it in, and you should get a ring of fog in return. It will greatly reduce your aggro range and also make it impossible for invading players to lock on to you.

You get to the asylum by going up the elevator Firelink to the church. Jump off the elevator right at the start. Go right and roll down to where you see the path leading up to the stairs on the firelink tower. Roll off to the roof there for a key. Jump down, and then go up the elevator and jump off again. Roll off the same place, but this time, continue up the stairs of the tower. You get to a large nest and get a prompt to press X. Do so and wait for about 30 seconds the first time you do it. You will be transported back to the asylum.

As for Dark Souls 2, I can not wait. Dark Souls was a fantastic upgrade to Demon Souls. I just hope that one review posted earlier was not entirely accurate when it comes to the full game. That there is a bonfire right in front of every boss. Not sure I like that as it souds sort of zergish. Other than that, it looks amazing. Would be fun if they released the press E3 demo as a real demo.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I need to stop using the back button after logging in. Double post.

Edit: Just had a thought. Dark Souls is not the sequel to Demon Souls, but Dark Souls 2 is a sequel.

What if they go all Mass Effect and let you import characters you have completed the game with. Picking the most recent playthough if you are on New Game ++ and so on. Maybe not characters, but what you did has an impact. Kill the dragon in the painting and it will be dead as a NPC on Dark Souls 2. Just to screw you right off the bat considering most sites reccomend KILL EVERYTHING as the last part before the last boss.

Extra areas unlock only with an imported character + influence on what you do. That would even boost sales of Dark Souls as Dark Souls 2 was released. Reward people who have suffered your old title, and also punish them for their actions. As they should be used to. Extra bonus boss for importing a deprived character playthrough.

Vaclav

While that could be neat it would have to be a DA2 style import since its a completely different section of the world.

On Demons they have announced the MP servers were being discontinued thrice that I saw. With no takedown or just temp. Just because you see them warn it don't assume ANY accuracy.

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
New video from E3:

Some new info:

Controls

There's a new special attack called the "guard break" which is like a riposte, except after breaking someone's guard. Great for strength builds?

L3 = jump while running

Press R1 while two-handing a bow to shoot from left quiver, and R2 for the right.

Magic+Miracle Descriptions

1st row: Soul Arrow, soul spear, and an "exploding" soul spear magic that makes magic rain from the sky.

2nd row: Magic greatsword, a fire whip-like spell, and a fireball spell which damages both enemy and caster.

3rd row shows miracles: Replenishment, a buffing spell that increases atk and def, Lightning Spear, and Dark Orb/Sphere that steals stamina (not magic).

Item Descriptions

1st row: Life gem, stronger life gem, grass that restores spell count (new!), and a stronger version of that grass.

2nd row: Green blossom, sticky white stuff-like enchanting item, bomb with magic damage, and estus.

The game is also confirmed to be set in the same world (Lordran) as DaS1. It'snotconfirmed if it's a sequel, prequel, or alternate universe, etc.

Hamscratch_sl

shitlord
Currently getting raped by Ornstein and Smough. Any advice would greatly be appreciated. I've died like 5 times already with these fuckers.

Breakarms_sl

shitlord
Currently getting raped by Ornstein and Smough. Any advice would greatly be appreciated. I've died like 5 times already with these fuckers.
They are a difficult fight. Even speedrunners get raped by them a lot, they're just so damn unpredictable and when both arent on your screen at the same time you're really asking for death.

Are you making it to phase 2 by killing one of them? Recommend leaving the fat guy for last because the other guy is a lot more crazy when hes supercharged. Anyway, you can use the pillars to keep the big guy from hitting you, ever in fact if you're careful.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
FIVE times? Come back when you've died 50 ^^

Mostly just keep trying until you can read most of their movements. Killing fast guy first is easiest iirc, because he's brutal in phase2 while fatty is about just as shitty. In P2 on fatty just kite around and force him into jumping on his ass or doing one of the slow attacks, dodge it then hit him a few times, rinse and repeat, mostly look out for the charge which you need good timing to avoid.

Vaclav

Stick to the advice for order (at least until/if trophying - if you're going for the trophy even though they'll be harder on NG+ I'd still recommend Smough last for the initial runthrough personally - but opinions will vary) - don't be afraid to summon assistance for it as well. Although it is a risky area to get assistance in since it's the most popular place to invade - but there are often a reasonable number of signs down + an NPC sign for Solaire as well (if you've done all his previous summons at least).

Other big thing is make sure you're mobile - if you've been wearing armor above 50%, reduce gear to get under 50% or even better under 25% - they pretty much ignore armor due to ridiculously heavy hits and lightning.

Additionally if you've got any spellcasting ability that makes pretty short work of Smough once you're to his phase since it meshes so well with dodging heavily.

Hamscratch_sl

shitlord
So I took a little time leveling some stuff up and killed them on my next attempt. Now I'm fucking hating ghosts in New Londo.

I have to say that I've never felt so challenged in a game before. Dying is frustrating, but in a good way. Such a good game.

I feel bad every time I bump this up, but I just wanted to say thank you to all of you guys giving out advice. I really appreciate it.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I'm playing the first one currently as well after it collecting "dust" in my steam library for a while. It's a blast so far, but I always feel like I'm doing things out of order in a way. Like, I rung the first bell in undead burg, then promptly wound up in the valley of drakes, hated that, cleared most of New Londo and couldn't progress, then did most of the catacombs and tomb of giants before I got stuck at some door I couldn't open, only THEN did I find blight town and actually get back on the "right" path.

Fuck tomb of giants btw, fuck that place in the ass.