Dark Souls

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
Moving along pretty speedily, but basically just following a walkthrough guide now. I honestly don't understand how anyone could figure some of this stuff out without one. I would have given up ages ago.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
DS2 is much less annoying that department. You can teleport between bonfires, it's grand.

axeman_sl

shitlord
I bought this yesterday, got to Blighttown, and what the flying fuck? Is my PS3 broken or is this area just utterly fucked? I have something like 5 FPS, in a place where you have to do a ton of platforming and precision jumping, which is basically unplayable.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
I bought this yesterday, got to Blighttown, and what the flying fuck? Is my PS3 broken or is this area just utterly fucked? I have something like 5 FPS, in a place where you have to do a ton of platforming and precision jumping, which is basically unplayable.
Yeah Blighttown has known FPS issues, especially bad on consoles.

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
How are you in Blighttown already?! It took me like 20 hours to get there. And yeah, I got horrible FPS there too. Game is just horribly optimized, console and PC.

axeman_sl

shitlord
Well, I had a couple of days off so I just played a lot. Took me something like 12 hours to get to Blighttown. I then promptly quit the game. Between the awful optimization and the staggering amount of time you have to spend just running around due to the absence of a travel system and extreme scarcity of bonfires, I simply found the game boring and annoying to play. The combat was alright, the rest was shit.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
After beating DS2 I figured I'd try this out and see how it compared. I'm really missing quick travel...

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You don't really need quick travel in DkS though, because the world is actually designed well and you can level up at any bonfire. Once you start getting into places that don't loop back into convenient shortcuts, they'll give you the ability to warp around.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
One of the things I loved about the lack of quick travel in the first game, was that it gave a more "dungeon crawling" experience. You can get deep into an area and really feel lost in it. It adds to the effect when you're miles underground. A survivalist mentality I suppose.

Quick travel is convenient, but sometimes makes me feel as if it takes away some of the danger and atmosphere.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
You don't really need quick travel in DkS though, because the world is actually designed well and you can level up at any bonfire. Once you start getting into places that don't loop back into convenient shortcuts, they'll give you the ability to warp around.
Played for a couple hours tonight and I totally see what you mean. I feel like I'm potentially missing out on stuff sometimes. For example, I found a blacksmith below the church (near Belfry Gargs boss) and it looks like there's a whole new area near him, but I think I'm supposed to ring another bell or something? I like the non-linearity, but I hope there's not a ton of backtracking.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
There is some backtracking, but you'll find all the areas have some odd links. DkS2 is like Demons' Souls in that although there's lots of areas, they tend to branch out directly from the source into linear progression like a tree. You make up for the lack of connectivity by way of quick travel.

DkS1 is different in that although you have a lot of areas, it branches out and connects between them, like a spider web. You can get deep into an area, but you can find a way off the beaten path that leads to another, or a way to unlock a shortcut back to the earlier zones. Its funny because you'll get a key and then use it, go through a door, and end up in some spot you've passed by from a hundred deaths that you can now bypass. It's one of the senses of accomplishment in the first game that I felt was lost in the second one.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Estus flask increases are diminishing the higher you go, and it caps a +7. Killing Quelaag's sister prevents you from joining the covenant, one of the better covenants in the game, but once you go NG+ it doesn't matter anyways.

Elerion

N00b
Generally not worth it until you are either sure you won't join her covenant or you're ready to go to NG+. Before going to NG+ you definitely should. Her and everyone else.

Goladus_sl

shitlord
Just want to post this for the record-- I was worried when I read this comment but after actually playing I did not find the FPS issues to be more than a very minor annoyance. Though there are a couple of jujmps it's not really "precision platforming" and in most cases you can work around any legit issues simply by adjusting the camera a bit. From the comments in this thread I was expecting framerates like I used to get in Everquest on raids with 30+ people. But this was nothing but a little shuddering. Irksome certainly but I'd never quit over it.

Not looking to argue just wanted to post an alternate perspective for anyone else who might stumble on this thread.

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Blighttown has a known FPS bug. Some PS3 users experience it. some don't. Does not happen on 360/PC afaik..........