DDO (D&D Online)

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Red box means entering the quest even though you aren't flagged for it. You can do this on most of the quests in the game that require flagging by doing the previous quests in the chain, like the Necro 1-3 crypts, Phiarlan Carnival, as long as you're in a group that has the quest already active.

There's actually a slightly more elaborate trick that people will do for the crypts though. What you do is once you complete the quest, you have one person finish out before everyone else and open the window for the quest. They then sit there with the quest window open while everyone else finishes out. A couple seconds after everyone has finished out the player who was holding the window open will get dragged into a fresh instance of the crypt on the same difficulty you were just on. It's mainly shadow crypt that people do this on because the xp is so ridiculous.

Narac01

Trakanon Raider
The quest window where you select the difficulty? I assume you could just use a lvl 1 freebie account for that?

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
You're normally running these farming quests in a group, so once quest is finished, everyone but one person zones out, then when someone says they have the window, last guy pops out. Then everyone goes back in for a fresh run. Also note that you can't change difficulty with this method.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Easiest way if soloing is to not turn in the crypt quest after completing it. Instead abandon one of the pre-req's (whichever is fastest to run). Then go to the pre-req quest giver, re-get the pre-req, redo the pre-req and turn it in. That should cause the crypt quest giver to allow you to reget the crypt quest.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
Worth mentioning, as a VIP you can start on any difficulty, which lets you earn "streak bonuses" if you go directly to elite mode. I'm level 18 on my second life (which takes 50% more exp to level) and I don't repeat any quests. Doing a single run on elite of quests lets you streak all the way to 20 doing each quest only once, which is a whole lot more fun than repeating the same quests 5-8 times each.

VIP required though since that lets you go directly to elite and gives you about 1000% more content with access to every adventure pack.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
There's a ton of low level content. I would say get to about level 8 or so and get a feel for the content. If you enjoy it, then sub for a month or two.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Worth mentioning, as a VIP you can start on any difficulty, which lets you earn "streak bonuses" if you go directly to elite mode. I'm level 18 on my second life (which takes 50% more exp to level) and I don't repeat any quests. Doing a single run on elite of quests lets you streak all the way to 20 doing each quest only once, which is a whole lot more fun than repeating the same quests 5-8 times each.

VIP required though since that lets you go directly to elite and gives you about 1000% more content with access to every adventure pack.
Yeah you'll have to farm some quests once you get to that third life. But man if you can keep an elite streak going on a first life it's retarded how fast xp just flies.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Easiest way if soloing is to not turn in the crypt quest after completing it. Instead abandon one of the pre-req's (whichever is fastest to run). Then go to the pre-req quest giver, re-get the pre-req, redo the pre-req and turn it in. That should cause the crypt quest giver to allow you to reget the crypt quest.
Are you sure this still works? It won't let me abandon Sanguine because I'm on Bloody Crypt, but if I try to abandon Bloody Crypt it wants to reset the whole chain.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord

Also worth repeating that once you get to 3rd life you can start on elite without a monthly sub. There's only a few points where you will probably run things a few times to pad xp during 1-20, and there's lots of groups there anyways. Necro 1-2, Gianthold, Vale, LOD, IQ. Once you start getting into forgotten realms stuff you don't need to repeat much to boot. Once you get to Gianthold you can just plow sagas once or twice and bam, you're 20. GH elite saga is 46k, and you will get the 20% bonus of a learning elixir to boot.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
the eveningstar quests are generally pretty terrible xp for the time spent anyway.

Did EE High Road today and finished 3 sagas at once. It was glorious. +3 search tome and ~250k xp that I'll save for when I eventually TR my arti into a rogue. Yeah you can handle most traps with an arti but theres a few that you really want (or actually need) evasion for. Died twice on the opening trap of Haunted Halls today because I didn't realize how far the trap went and rezzed in the middle of it. Was pretty funny.

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'd love to get back into this but this is one of those games where I had a huge setup on my G15 for using clickies and such, next to the fact that the game features are pretty deep and complex to relearn. You forget that stuff and the hurdle is just too big. Though I guess starting from scratch is always a method. It's a cool game.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
I bought a companion the other day. Did an elite quest, did another quest and then logged out for bed. When I logged in yesterday I had no companion. Are they supposed to be only until you log out? Is there a way to get a permanent companion?

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
I'd love to get back into this but this is one of those games where I had a huge setup on my G15 for using clickies and such, next to the fact that the game features are pretty deep and complex to relearn. You forget that stuff and the hurdle is just too big. Though I guess starting from scratch is always a method. It's a cool game.
Whether or not you want to get super serious with clickies is up to you. Power creep is such that you don't really need to do so anymore unless you're solo'ing EE raids. UMD used to be the end all/be all of classes so you could eek out every last bit of power and now most people don't even bother. Honestly you can do 90% of content now with only 3 hotbars worth of stuff, 1 if you're a barbarian. The most I do is grab some healing potions and a handful of res scrolls.

I bought a companion the other day. Did an elite quest, did another quest and then logged out for bed. When I logged in yesterday I had no companion. Are they supposed to be only until you log out? Is there a way to get a permanent companion?
Once you trigger a hireling they last for 1 hour. The 1 hour timer runs whether you're using them or not but pauses in 'public' areas. They are cheap though so it's not that big of a deal. I've never found them to be cost prohibitive. I just make a point each time I log in to check my spell reagents, thieves tools, potions, scrolls and hirelings and stock up on anything I'm low on before adventuring that evening.

There are a few permanent hirelings. 2 can be bought for cash (a lvl 3 cleric and a lvl 17 owlbear, part of packs you buy on the store website, not in game) and some classes have access to pets (wizard, arti, druid). The owlbear is not worth it and the cleric is a pretty good mana/health battery that you can basically summon every 5 minutes because unlike regular hirelings you can summon her anywhere in a dungeon. Not sure she's worth 10bux though.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
Make sure you actually need the hireling before using them. They contribute to dungeon scaling (but at a lesser rate than a real player). If you don't need a cleric hireling healbotting you in a quest for example, then all it's doing is boosting mobs hp and resistances.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Tried hopping on this morning, turns out Ghallanda is down again after they did some supposed hardware fixes yesterday.

fuckin lol