Denver/Yellowstone/Salt Lake City Road Trip

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Going to fly out of Cleveland to Denver and either fly back of of Denver or Salt Lake City. Looks like a loop is about 26 hours and slc to den is about 8 but that last leg looks nice. Planning early June, 9 or 10 days.

Never been in the area before so any tips appreciated.

https://goo.gl/maps/CSmfkMr4cLT2

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Note that I-25 is an extremely boring drive. It will be beautiful after that though. I've spent a lot of time in both of those cities. What are you into? What kind of places are your hangs?

Picasso3

Should i cut the loop inside and go through like rawlins? Open to anything really, denver, SLC, and Vegas just have to be in the picture for airfare purposes.

We like outdoor stuff to max a few hours, hoping to blend in 1-5 hour hikes with the drives. Love eating and drinking, will probably try to eat at a unique non chain restaurant 90% of meals. I'll probably get some weed if I can just go buy it. Prime directive is to cruise around and sight see. I'm kinda worried i'm going to miss some good stuff if we don't go back to denver via i-70, grand junction and vail look pretty cool.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I-70 west of Denver is amazing. And Utah contains the most beautiful landscape the US has to offer. Cut off I-70 and enjoy Arches National Park while doing that.

And weed is insanely easy to get in Colorado. It's literally like going to a liquor store.

EDIT: Oh, and a bunch of great SLC suggestions are here.

Mur

Trakanon Raider
Lodging in Yellowstone, LOL Yeah forget about that, it's not worth it. Better to head into Livingston or Bozeman for lodging.

I'd forget Denver, the drive north is boring as hell. Hit SLC, and take 80 north to 189 in WY to 191 north to Jackson to check out the Tetons, then north into Yellowstone. You could then head into MT and hit up Big Sky for some of their summer events. Hiking, Biking, Golf... Then if it was me, I'd hit Bozeman, and fly out of there.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Picasso3

https://goo.gl/maps/wD6dkePbXty

Yeah fuck yellowstone lodging. I may put in a reservation on a cabin thats $91 a night just to have it but i think it'll be too late in the trip. Bozeman flights ramp up considerably, and we both really want to go to denver/breckenridge/vail area. In the updated trip I think we'll hit that up last so we can relax and sail into denver for a flight out. If my wife mutinies ill figure out someway to work that route in on the way to yellowstone and then stop at slc and save 8 hours.

Rental drop fee is ~200 bucks.

I'm not completely a jew but i do like doing it all as cost efficiently as possible, so that fucks me a little when there's like 900 variables.

Picasso3

sweet satisfaction, my wife rejected my plan, cooked up a denver, yellowstone, glacier national park, fly out of spokane plan and called her dad to see what he thought we should do. She stayed on the phone for about 45 minutes while he slowly developed a plan eerily similar to a loop from denver almost identical to what i'd had minus montana.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
sweet satisfaction, my wife rejected my plan, cooked up a denver, yellowstone, glacier national park, fly out of spokane plan and called her dad to see what he thought we should do. She stayed on the phone for about 45 minutes while he slowly developed a plan eerily similar to a loop from denver almost identical to what i'd had minus montana.

Your loop is my neck of the woods. Denver is a cool city, worth a stop in. Go buy some gummies and eat at Blue Pan Pizza (best pizza I have ever had). Boulder is a really fun town too. If I could only do Den or Boulder I'd be hard pressed to pick. Go to Boulder and do the climb to Royal Arch (less than 5 hours in and out). Go to Estes Park, check out The Shining hotel and then go to Rocky Mountain National Park right by Estes Park and do the Bear Lake trail to Emerald Lake (again, less than 4 hours in an out)-- if there is one hike you have to do, that's it.

Jackson WY and the Snake River Gorge are awesome. Don't miss them. Go whitewater rafting in the Snake River near Jackson.

Obviously the Grand Tetons are just fucking astounding. If you are looking for an amazing but very doable hike in the Tetons, start at Jenny Lake and hike to Lake Solitude and back. Watch out for grizzlies.

You could spend weeks in Yellowstone alone. IMO Old Faithful is a waste of time. Pick some spots ahead of time in YS. Like everyone is saying, figure out a way to find lodging well away from YS. I won't tell you some of the places I had to sleep when we went through the YS area in August 2015.

Haven't spent a ton of time in Montana, but Enis was a really cool little town that we spent some time in (also I thought the Lake Hebgen and Earthquake Lake areas were really cool).

I'm not sure how you could go right past Moab without stopping. Moab is a crazy little town with the weirdest collection of people from the most disparate walks of life. Obviously you need to check out Arches National Park right outside Moab. But there is this sweet little trail that mostly only locals know about that you should really check out. It's called Mill Creek Waterfall trail. Pick up trail by following Powerhouse Lane out of Moab until the end of the road. You follow a little creek that turns into a river that cuts through the rocks and eventually leads to an awesome swimming hole/waterfall you can jump off. Follow the trail past that though- it gets even cooler and less traveled. Pics of Mill Creek Trail:

attachment.php?attachmentid=12659.jpg

mill1.jpg

• 1Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Emerald Lake, Rocky Mountain National Park:

53acaa4788d01d4cdf780062ecd15565.jpg

Lake Solitude in the Tetons:

lake-solitude-shore-in-grand-teton-national-park-bruce-gourley.jpg

• 1Like

Picasso3

Great stuff thanks. Sounds like we may be hiking as much out of Yellowstone as in it.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I hiked in Rocky Mountain once but I only did Chasm Lake. Thought that was pretty badass. But yeah, Estes Park is definitely worth checking out while there.

Of Colorado towns I prefer Ft Collins. But I like beer and the number of great breweries that are only a mile or so away from each other is astounding.

Picasso3

We stopped by Sharpsburg battlefield today and ended up just getting the 80 dollar annual national park pass in anticipation of hitting a ton up out west.

Damn now I'm wondering if we need to spend more time in the Denver area

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
We stopped by Sharpsburg battlefield today and ended up just getting the 80 dollar annual national park pass in anticipation of hitting a ton up out west.

Damn now I'm wondering if we need to spend more time in the Denver area

If you have the pass you should devote some time to RMNP definitely. I would personally put Arches/Needles and RMNP both over YS. Fort Collins is great. I like Boulder better for nightlife but I'd live in FC in a minute if it was close to work for me.

You could spend a lot of time in the Denver area and never run out of things to do.

Mur

Trakanon Raider
That pass is a great deal. There are 1000's of smaller non natl' park area where you can use it. BLM areas in the SW, and Forest service areas all over. Wild life refuges...

If you like the outdoors it's totally worth it. I have had one every year for the last 20 years.

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
As a Denver resident I will second the advice to try the Buckhorn Exchange. It is an excellent meal, and the site itself has craploads of history to it.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
My buddy lives in Denver. Has for 6-7 years. He says to visit Red Rocks (state park). If you can, attend a concert at the red rocks amphitheater. He Google recommended that.

Boulder is okay. They have a huge outdoor mall kind of thing, but it's really expensive. He says stick to the parks and stuff and you'll have fun.

"The aquarium is decent. I don't know, Denver sucks."

He's thinking of things for you to do.
Art museum, botanical gardens, zoo... Gourmet breakfast place called Snooze. No reservations, and usually a long line, so go on a week day.

Wash or Washington Park. It's in Denver city.

You could watch a Rockies game. There's also tons of Micro breweries. One he suggests is called River North. Or Brekenridge Brewery.

Ok, that's all for now.

• 1Like

Picasso3

Settebello pizzeria in slc was very good.

Also there's a gay pride event going on which apparently means you eat pizza wearing leather straps and a rainbow cloak