Desktop Computers

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
You don't need to spend twice as much money to get E-die RAM that will clock as high as Ryzen 3000 wants though...
You could buy other memory and spend time ocing dealing with memory timings, possibly get a kit that doesn't oc or I could just buy that and not have to worry about anything. I'm not some poor high school kid trying to get by anymore.
Look what AMD started:

I'm going with fake. Note the source.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That's why I don't buy from Newegg anymore. On the very slight chance I happen to get an AES_ kit that won't clock to what I need, I can send that shit back to Amazon no questions asked. Newegg is a pain in the ass to deal with and will charge a restocking fee on anything that isn't completely non-functional. High school kid or no, I'm still building to a budget because quite frankly the current state of PC gaming disgusts me due to Epic faggotry and so many games using Denuvo. I want 32GB of RAM and will be dealing with oc'ing either way, so I'd much rather put that $150-ish difference towards getting a high end X570 board and a 5700XT instead of plain 5700. Only reason I'm bothering at all is because I want to play Cyberpunk on PC rather than console. Witcher 3 was trash on PS4 compared to PC and I expect Cyberpunk to have an even wider gap.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I'm going with fake. Note the source.

Most likely but I wouldn’t doubt Intel is nervous as hell and has to do something to take the hype away from AMD and compete. They are getting a complete and thorough skull fucking right now. And they deserve it for their arrogance. Their upcoming roadmap has almost nothing to counter but more of the same with their 10nm issues. The only thing they can do is compete on price now and hope people stay brand loyal.

• 1Solidarity

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
And many people will stay loyal, Intel has many a fanboys like Noodle. Still everyone profits. Even AMD stepping up with their new cards will drop prices from Nvidia. Its gonna be a good couple of years for buying and building.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
In computer stuff? Not really TBH. I just want competition so we end up paying less. Ive had AMD, and I had plenty of Intel shit, same with vodeo cards and Nvidia and AMD over the years.

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I'm actually getting kind of tempted to upgrade to a 3700 or 3900. I'm just feeling lazy because taking apart my computer is blah.

Crone

After having my i5-2500k for so long, it seems nuts to me to upgrade again. Have a Ryzen 5 1700, and it seems to be doing fine.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
What is tempting me most is the fact that watching video eats a decent amount of resources. Having more cores to shove that of on would make gaming smoother while watching twitch or Netflix. Plus I would probably go to 32gb ram

Crone

Why is 32gb becoming so popular? All you fools ain't doing shit that needs that much. Quit playing.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Even though its such an easy choice to go AM4 for anyone retiring an older system, overall Zen 2 is too green still, needs to ripen some.
Going to wait a month or two before deciding here, holding out for a 3900x or 3950x. Depends how well my old Crosshair VII works with 12 or 16 cores.

Rush rush rushed....AMD did rush this more than a lil. Likewise many of the reviews are kinda rushed and shitty with some having much too much fcking oohh aah brainless fanboyism swinging sharply for AMD. Going by the benchmarks Intel CPUs seem to be running into (my guess) overheating/boosting issues in some of the benchmarks and AMD is still dogged by some CCX thread scheduling and cache optimization issues on Windows. Perhaps game and app developers will tune and tweak for AMD much more now that Zen2 is a hit.

So personally I am going to wait at least a couple of months for the following things before upgrading:
  • BIOSes to stabilize,
  • More X470 + Zen 2 tests,
  • Linux support to mature,
  • turbo/PBO to be fixed: no point in getting 300 Mhz more boost atm if it rarely works.
  • better RAM performance scaling comparisons
  • 3950x reviews to come out after the above fixed.
And who knows, perhaps a cheapo budget Intel killer gaming build might be possible for x-mas? Intel The New Budget King? What a crown to hold for a year lol.

• 1Like