Desktop Computers

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I do not have a microcenter nearby. Closest would be 4-5 hours away.

Honestly, I’m not even sure where to start as far as mobo/cpu/ram as I haven’t followed that scene in years. I think I modeled my last build off of something on mmo champion lol

Well, how much money do you want to spend? What's your budget?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Also, what do you want to play? What's the resolution and refresh rate of your monitor (or the monitor you plan to buy)?

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Also, what do you want to play? What's the resolution and refresh rate of your monitor (or the monitor you plan to buy)?
Retarded buddy of mine has a 4090 and looks at me like IM retarded when I tell him its useless on his 60hz TV. Thank God he's funny af when we play golf.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Well, how much money do you want to spend? What's your budget?

Would like to keep it at/under $2k. My monitor is 144hz but only 1080p (which is fine by me) Amazon.com

I lost a high level hardcore character on D4 from stuttering even though all the graphics are set on low and character models look comically potato-ish. I play other new releases on my PS5 instead of PC if I want it to look good (Cyberpunk, Elden Ring, etc).

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Retarded buddy of mine has a 4090 and looks at me like IM retarded when I tell him its useless on his 60hz TV. Thank God he's funny af when we play golf.
Is it not a 4K TV? 60hz at 4k is still tough in a lot of games with all the settings cranked to max.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Would like to keep it at/under $2k. My monitor is 144hz but only 1080p (which is fine by me) Amazon.com

I lost a high level hardcore character on D4 from stuttering even though all the graphics are set on low and character models look comically potato-ish. I play other new releases on my PS5 instead of PC if I want it to look good (Cyberpunk, Elden Ring, etc).
4060 benchmarks are out
for reference and comparison, the 7600 8gb is $270, while a 4090 would be your entire budget
f289681d4baa989b456cf4188e1cf8fb.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

Here's something in the $1200 range with a couple upgrades (RAM speed and PowerSupply): https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1R5H5R

• *BASE_PRICE: [+1249]
  • CAS: CyberPowerPC ONYXIA Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ USB 3.0, Front & Side Tempered Glass NO FAN [-22] (Black Color)
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 Processor 7600 6-core/12-thread 3.8GHz [Turbo 5.1GHz] 38MB Cache AM5
  • FAN: CyberpowerPC MasterLiquid Lite 240mm ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler with Dual Chamber Pump & Copper Cold Plate (Intel)
  • HDD: 2TB SAMSUNG 980 PRO (PCIe Gen4) NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 7000/5100 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 1000/1000k (Single Drive)
  • MEMORY: 16GB (16GBx1) DDR5/6000MHz Dual Channel Memory [+30] (Performance Memory by Major Brands)
  • MOTHERBOARD: ASUS PRIME B650M-A AX AM5 Micro ATX w/ Wi-Fi 6, 2.5GbT LAN, (4)PCIe x16, (2)M.2, (8)SATA CEC [+3]
  • POWERSUPPLY: 750Watts - Corsair RMe Series RM750e 80 PLUS Gold ATX 3.0 Fully Modular w/ PCIE 12+4Pins Connector for PCIe 5.0 graphics cards [+49]
  • VIDEO: AMD Radeon™ RX 7600 8GB GDDR6 Video Card (Single Card)
  • _PRICE: (+1309)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
4060 benchmarks are out
for reference and comparison, the 7600 8gb is $270, while a 4090 would be your entire budget
f289681d4baa989b456cf4188e1cf8fb.png

Here's something in the $1200 range with a couple upgrades (RAM speed and PowerSupply): https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1R5H5R

• *BASE_PRICE: [+1249]
  • CAS: CyberPowerPC ONYXIA Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ USB 3.0, Front & Side Tempered Glass NO FAN [-22] (Black Color)
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 Processor 7600 6-core/12-thread 3.8GHz [Turbo 5.1GHz] 38MB Cache AM5
  • FAN: CyberpowerPC MasterLiquid Lite 240mm ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler with Dual Chamber Pump & Copper Cold Plate (Intel)
  • HDD: 2TB SAMSUNG 980 PRO (PCIe Gen4) NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 7000/5100 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 1000/1000k (Single Drive)
  • MEMORY: 16GB (16GBx1) DDR5/6000MHz Dual Channel Memory [+30] (Performance Memory by Major Brands)
  • MOTHERBOARD: ASUS PRIME B650M-A AX AM5 Micro ATX w/ Wi-Fi 6, 2.5GbT LAN, (4)PCIe x16, (2)M.2, (8)SATA CEC [+3]
  • POWERSUPPLY: 750Watts - Corsair RMe Series RM750e 80 PLUS Gold ATX 3.0 Fully Modular w/ PCIE 12+4Pins Connector for PCIe 5.0 graphics cards [+49]
  • VIDEO: AMD Radeon™ RX 7600 8GB GDDR6 Video Card (Single Card)
  • _PRICE: (+1309)
Should I be ashamed that this is my current #1 choice? Horizon II Super | Prebuilt Gaming PC | Starforge Systems

The missus already gave me a cosign to pull the trigger.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
if you break it down by component, (i did), it's basically a markup of $200 for a built system w/ 2yr warrenty
I’m definitely at a point in my life where I’d pay someone $200 to handle the cord management and “why the fuck is the bios making that noise” for me. Thanks Lanxbro. I don’t care what Folder says about you - you’re alright in my book.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I’m definitely at a point in my life where I’d pay someone $200 to handle the cord management and “why the fuck is the bios making that noise” for me. Thanks Lanxbro. I don’t care what Folder says about you - you’re alright in my book.
its evident that company has partnership w/ teamgroup and deepcool, teamgroup is the goto brand when you want corsair performance but don't want to pay the premium and deepcool is more "euro", so you won't find reviews on em, but their cpu620k was reviewed as good as a noctua d15, and i use that to cool my 3800xt at moderate oc, and that case seems to have been reviewed well for airflow, but i can't listen to horrible euro english long enough to confirm, youre gonna have to suffer through that yourself!

• 2Like

gak

<Gold Donor>
j.gif

CableMod Custom 90-Degree 12VHPWR Connector Melts Despite Proper Installation

CableMod's custom 12VHPWR connector for GeForce RTX 40 GPUs has melted despite being connected properly, as one Reddit user has stated.

You might remember the fiasco when NVIDIA introduced their 12VHPWR power connectors with the release of the GeForce RTX 40 series GPUs. Several users encountered burning issues leading to a new debate on the new connectors. NVIDIA declared the problem a "user error" claiming that the connectors weren't seated properly, leading to power delivery disruptions.

CableMod came to the rescue and offered a 90-degree angled connector which ensured no cable bending, and extended the cable adapter to allow much easier wire management. As expected, the connectors sold like hotcakes, and according to JayzTwoCents, the company sold around 40,000 units which is a huge figure considering the significance of the product. However, things didn't stay well for long, as several users reported melting incidents in the CableMod adapter.

Reddit user u/Darewelll brought the issue to light claiming that his adapter suddenly burned and melted in such a way that the plastic soldered itself together and cannot be removed from either of the plugs. The affected user also shared a video of the adapter on YouTube, where the burnt marks are evident. Well, if we debug into the problem, things may seem more complex. The problem could persist due consumer's negligence in seating the adapter into the GPU, but that may not be the case for every incident. The user error specifically states that his connector was inserted as per the guidelines.

In an analysis by JayzTwoCents on the problem, he did highlight a significant factor behind the CableMod connector burning issue. The 90-degree adapters are reportedly prone to a wiggling issue, making users doubt whether the connector is completely seated. This has something to do with the length of the 90-degree adapter, which is causing the wiggle as you can see below:

Moreover, most incidents occur at the GPU connector rather than at the end where the PSU cable is connected. This may lead to the conclusion that the weight disparity due to the attached cable is causing the Cablemod adapter not to be fully seated. The company has also stated that 70% of the burning incidents are reportedly from a single card manufacturer.

One aspect to consider is how long CableMod will offer replacement to users facing the issue. The company has promised to replace the affected GPUs with new ones. Still, based on the number of adapter units CableMod has sold, it appears that if the issue spreads widely, it might pose severe problems for both the company and its customers.

For now, we recommend that consumers proceed cautiously when using CableMod adapters. You should ensure that the adapter is fully seated and there is no bending in the power cable. Cablemod has yet to issue an official statement regarding the burning incidents, and if they do, we will surely update you guys. This is also one of the several reasons why a new 12V-2x6 specification is being worked on by PCI-SIG.

n.jpg

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Worf

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
why doesn't shitty cablemod post which shitty gfx card company this is then?
I'd be willing that as shitty as ASUS has been - it's probably them. I dont want that to be the case, cause I spent the extra on a Strix 4090. But I had to put my setup in a completely different case to get some massive airflow on everything. So what about all the people that are too cheap/poor or ignorant of the fact that they need a different case? And in that same vein, those same people are the ones that are expected to plug something in correctly.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

What’d you get?