Desktop Computers

Mire_sl

shitlord
If anyone is looking to upgrade video cards, keep an eye out for 290s and 290xs. Price drop incoming to make room for 390/390x.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Ssd on order, all the guides online for doing an install mention partitons which i didnt do last time i installed on an hhd do you guys have suggestions on a good guide. Also when I reinstall my games where do I find my save data so I don't have to start over dlcan I just copy that over from the old hard drive

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone have any recommendations for what to look for in Network Storage stuff? There are 4 PC's on my home network, and I'm looking for a storage solution that I can access regardless of which PC things are on for things like saving movies etc. I don't need anything like being able to access it while away from home etc, that shit doesn't matter to me.

It'll be connected to a wireless router, I'm assuming that would let me access it on the network from laptops etc?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Ssd on order, all the guides online for doing an install mention partitons which i didnt do last time i installed on an hhd do you guys have suggestions on a good guide. Also when I reinstall my games where do I find my save data so I don't have to start over dlcan I just copy that over from the old hard drive
don't partition your SSD

If you're upgrading your boot drive from a mechanical HD to an SSD, you're going to want to reinstall Windows, not just image/copy it from your current drive.

As far as finding your save games, you're probably going to have to google each game you want to back up individually, as every game is different. Some games have their save files in the game install folder somewhere, some games put the save files in your C:/users/*yourname*/saved games directory, some put them in a different spot. I think some services like EA's Origin put save games in an Origin directory which is neither in the game directory, or in your windows user directory, its a separate Origin folder.

That's one of the pains in the ass of a fresh install, is backing up all of your save games. That's why playing games via Steam and using their cloud save backup as much as you can is really nice, you never have to worry about finding those files on your HD for backup/restoring.

Orcus_sl

shitlord
Anyone have any recommendations for what to look for in Network Storage stuff? There are 4 PC's on my home network, and I'm looking for a storage solution that I can access regardless of which PC things are on for things like saving movies etc. I don't need anything like being able to access it while away from home etc, that shit doesn't matter to me.

It'll be connected to a wireless router, I'm assuming that would let me access it on the network from laptops etc?
I set up a couple of Netgear ReadyNAS units a few years ago. They are totally idiot proof and humming along with no problems still. Just slap some hard drives in and off it goes, formats them, builds the RAID, includes all relevant software etc. Easy.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I set up a couple of Netgear ReadyNAS units a few years ago. They are totally idiot proof and humming along with no problems still. Just slap some hard drives in and off it goes, formats them, builds the RAID, includes all relevant software etc. Easy.
Seconded, I am pretty happy with myReadyNAS 102. Based on the price cut it looks like they may be coming out with a new version soon? You can wait or just pick this one up cheap. It hold up to 8TB on 2 disks, so you can buy a pair of Western Digital Red drives and through them in. I am just using regular hard drives that came out of the two desktops in the house when we converted to SSDs.

Also you can install Transmission directly on the NAS and use it as a seedbox.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Depends how hardcore you want to go. I have a Synology Diskstation 5 bay NAS with 5x4TB drives in RAID5. Torrenting 1080p movies and TV adds up quickly. I am at about 8TB of used space. The Synology is probably huge overkill for most consumers. You can do quite a lot with it.

Troll_sl

shitlord
So I'm building a PC from scratch for the first time in 10 years (the computer I've got now is pretty hodge-podge)... are there any major price drops coming up that I should be aware of before I take the plunge?

Orcus_sl

shitlord
So I'm building a PC from scratch for the first time in 10 years (the computer I've got now is pretty hodge-podge)... are there any major price drops coming up that I should be aware of before I take the plunge?
I would say nothing earth shattering. The GTX 980 ti is coming in a month, it might cause the gtx 980 to drop some in price, but it won't be a huge amount. And gtx 970s will be holding steady I bet. I know AMD has an imminent release as well, but again I don't think it will have a huge affect on the prices of the 290/290x, maybe a few bucks more. I'd stay with z97/1150 if you're on a budget, baller status X99 if you want to spend some cash. Don't think you would see any real world gaming performance increase from x99/ddr4 though.

Speaking of the gtx 970, just picked up these twins through Amazon Warehouse Deals. Rebuilding/updating my rig. Project RED RAVEN under weigh.
rrr_img_95739.jpg

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
memorial day usually has sales, that's almost a month out, mothers day? i don't remember if any.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Holding out for Pascal. I will remain strong. You know, unless they drop the shit out of 970s when the R9 300s come out.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Holding out for Pascal. I will remain strong. You know, unless they drop the shit out of 970s when the R9 300s come out.
Do you think Pascal is really going to be as amazing as Nvidia says it will be? I know the 10x thing isn't for gaming, but just how much better in size, power use, and GPU output do you think it will be over the current 900s?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Nvidia bros, go disable your Nvidia Streaming Service and potentially gain some frames in nearly everything. YMMV obviously, but I got like 5 free fps in gta5 as apparently it's constantly trying to stream to a Shield even if you don't own one.