Desktop Computers

Quaid

Trump's Staff
That price : performance just screams 'guys upgrade before Pascal guys' to me.

I shan't be fooled.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
That price : performance just screams 'guys upgrade before Pascal guys' to me.

I shan't be fooled.
Yeah that's kinda what I was smelling too.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 1080 has that much performance at half the watts.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Already running 10 and like it
Is it annoying like Win8 in its hybridness?

I actually like win8 for tablets and laptops, but for my gaming PC it just annoys me. I don't want my PC called my 'device,' for starters. And despite hours of manually going through services the thing won't stay asleep and kicks on and off often like a tablet or laptop trying to run updates, which is no problem for a tablet/laptop, but for my behemoth of a gaming system it's annoying and distracting to suddenly have VROOM and lights flashing when you're trying to watch a movie.

Get 10 or reinstall 7?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Is it annoying like Win8 in its hybridness?

I actually like win8 for tablets and laptops, but for my gaming PC it just annoys me. I don't want my PC called my 'device,' for starters. And despite hours of manually going through services the thing won't stay asleep and kicks on and off often like a tablet or laptop trying to run updates, which is no problem for a tablet/laptop, but for my behemoth of a gaming system it's annoying and distracting to suddenly have VROOM and lights flashing when you're trying to watch a movie.

Get 10 or reinstall 7?
This sounds like a personal problem.

I mean why even use sleep mode on a desktop PC with a decent SSD? My Windows 8 PC with UEFI boot starts from cold faster than it wakes from sleep, so I just disabled sleep/hibernate completely to recover the space for the sleep file.

Sleep always fucked with my usb devices anyway.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
This sounds like a personal problem.

I mean why even use sleep mode on a desktop PC with a decent SSD? My Windows 8 PC with UEFI boot starts from cold faster than it wakes from sleep, so I just disabled sleep/hibernate completely to recover the space for the sleep file.
In part, have had more issues playing games remotely on my Shield when computer is shut down completely than sleep, and when I'm not home I don't want my system running 24/7 and don't want to have to use a third program to start it up and shut it down (especially when those third programs have seemed to expose even more network flaws).

And yes, it's a personal problem, which is why stated it's annoying me, not that Win8 is universally shit or anything because I don't care or even think so when many do, but yeah it personally annoys me because of something as petty as my OS calling my system a 'device' and my programs 'apps' and having this entire unused touchscreen interface that only ever serves to make me feel like my beastly gaming PC is secretly putting on dresses or some shit when I'm not around.

I noticed you added the second paragraph so won't just not call you a cunt.
wink.png

and a third paragraph. Never had a problem with usb devices, but my monitor sometimes makes it take longer to recover from sleep than starting up fresh.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It looks like it's going to be impossible to use your 'free' Win 10 upgrade to do a clean install.

Fadaar

That guy
What's the performance comparison between SLI 970's and a 980ti? Picked up a second 970 recently, mostly because I had been planning on it since I upgraded my PC back in November (otherwise I would have gone with a 980 back then) plus I wanted Witcher 3 and Arkham Knight.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
What's the performance comparison between SLI 970's and a 980ti? Picked up a second 970 recently, mostly because I had been planning on it since I upgraded my PC back in November (otherwise I would have gone with a 980 back then) plus I wanted Witcher 3 and Arkham Knight.
It's very very close.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Building a computer for my brother in law, trying to keep it in the ~$1500 price range.

Anything you guys would change out in the following?

PCPartPicker part list/Price breakdown by merchant

CPU:Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor($229.98 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler:Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler($27.98 @ OutletPC)
Thermal Compound:Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste($5.49 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard:Asus Z87-Pro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard($104.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory($109.99 @ Newegg)
Storage:Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5&quot; Solid State Drive($97.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage:Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5&quot; 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive($123.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card:MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card($339.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case:Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case($109.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply:EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply($101.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive:Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer($18.89 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter:Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor:Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0&quot; Monitor($249.99 @ Micro Center)
Total:$1551.15
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-02 09:29 EDT-0400

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
The SLI 970s are going to be aabout 10-20% more powerful, in games that support SLI (some still don't to this day, and many don't at launch, you have to wait for a patch)

I've done both AMD crossfire(4870s 5 years ago) and Nvidia SLI (660Tis) in recent years, and I'm done with dual-card setups. I like to play brand new games the day they release and I got sick of having to play them on just 1 card, waiting sometimes weeks or months for a patch to support SLI(and just forcing SLI through the Nvidia drivers can be pretty unstable at times if the game doesn't natively support it)

I made the choice to take 100% performance 100% of the time with 1 good card, rather than 120% performance 70% of the time and 60% performance 30% of the time using 2 cards. I think the only way I would do SLI anymore is if the dual-card setup was significantly cheaper than the comparable single card. If 970s were $200 apiece and you could get that performance for $400 compared to a $650 980Ti, then yeah, it might make sense. But if you're spending $650 regardless, go with the single card. For instance, I'd definitely take SLI 970s for ~$600 over a $1000 Titan X, but with dual 970s costing as much(if not more) than a 980Ti, that just doesn't make sense at all.

aHqdB7p9Ciw8.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

TVwyjvbxxYvv.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

fJcx8ma7wJj3.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

RcWszSwF6g6Q.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

Bak98ggL1nhe.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

Orcus_sl

shitlord
I'm pretty up on sli setups these days, think I might even try my first tri-sli setup soon with another 970. My first sli setup was a pair of 7800 GTs, and things have never been better for sli imo. A pretty fluid and bug free experience compared to the old days I'd say.

edit: I should say I still consider sli more of an enthusiast type setup, so a higher tolerance for the occasional quirk or bug expected.