Desktop Computers

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I keep going smaller and smaller with my computers. Had a CM Stacker back in the day. Then a Silverstone FT03. Now a Corsair 250D. Was thinking about the 350D but I don't think I'd use 50%of its space and I'm not SLIing anything anymore. All aboard that mITX train for me now.

My one complaint with the 250D is that it should have been an extra 5mm wider on the cpu side in order to fit more aftermarket radiators and aio coolers. It can only fit 27mm or thinner rads and Corsair is discontinuing the H100i that fits in the dual rad slot. The H100 gtx is 30mm wide and pushes into the motherboard with fans on it.

Orcus_sl

shitlord
My Skylake build is up and running. Thanks for the tips everyone. The MSI card was a good tip Orcus. My case is so quiet I can barely tell the computer is on.
Glad you're up and running! My current build is also ultra quiet, all pwm fans via a silverstone pwm fan hub and those msi 4g cards. Can't tell it's on unless a game is running.

I'm about to build a new machine actually, this 3930k is going to be analyzing data in my better half's lab. Have an old 1st generation rv02 raven here I'm going to take out of mothballs. Only problem is the ap181s aren't pwm. Going to use a fan controller for them, should be able to get them spinning slower than the built-in switch. Part of me wants to just go modern and use an all pwm setup with a new case. I feel bad not utilizing this old guy though when it's such a good air-cooling case
smile.png

Orcus_sl

shitlord
I went through a serious business/look how adult my computer that I slay dragons on looks phase too, but I'm personally utterly bored of black aluminum nondescript bricks. The closer my next system looks like a piece of equipment off of a bad '80s scifi spaceship, the better!

On the topic of pci-e/nvme ssd. I've done a lot of reading, going back and forth, and I've decided to stick with normal sata ssd for now. SSD are going through a major seachange right now, but it's going to take a couple more years to get it sorted out. These first gen pci-e ssd are still using old style planar nand memory. This is going extinct, with hbm etc. becoming the norm soon. Also, from what I understand, most operations in a normal user OS are of the 4k variety, and if you look at the benchmarks, the new style ssds are no faster than normal sata ssds at this. Everything I've read so far says there is no noticeable difference in boot time, or opening/closing apps. The only thing they excel at over normal sata ssd are moving big files, possibly affecting texture loading in games/mmos. There will be no real world, noticeable increase in speed during normal pc operation.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
So I am ordering keyboard and mouse today.

I have always been partial to the Razer line. I was looking at the Chroma but realized that I hate lights.

If I am going plain and mechanical any recommendations? Doesn't have to be Razer.

For mouse I am thinking the Ouroboros from Razer.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I've had the Corsair K70 keyboard for a good 6+ months now, and I love it. You won't regret that purchase.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
weird question, does anybody know why my mouse will light up (and stay lit up) after the PC is powered down if i touch any of the buttons? anybody know how to disable this?

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Should be something in your BIOS to turn off the USB ports when the power is off. They are usually on by default (for charging accessories when you plug them in without powering the PC, or whatever).

Alternatively, this usually only applies to certain USB ports. You could mess around with where the mouse is plugged in and see if that makes a difference.

Pizoi

Golden Squire
Windows 10 has a fast startup setting that keeps power to your USB devices while the computer is turned off. It can be disabled in the power options in the 'Choose what the power button does' section. When it's enabled, my USB dac/amp stays lit up.

Fadaar

That guy
Agreed, however I found that doing my new build that it's reasonably difficult to find a good, fully featured mid-tower case that doesn't come absolutely lacquered in idiotic bells, whistles, and wing dings. LED shit everywhere, etc. Took me a good hour of searching to find something that's reasonably sized and doesn't try to look like a fucking space ship. Ended up settling on a Corsair 330R Titanium. I don't really get why anyone needs anything more than a mid-tower these days, unless they're doing SLI or something else with their computer. Otherwise who the fuck needs 10 hard drive bays, 6 full sized 5.25" bays on the front, etc etc? These days it's not like people have standalone sound or network cards taking up slots/space.
I run SLI and four hard drives, five if you count the SSD, and a dual 120mm radiator attached to the top of the inside of the case. I need the space! Plus I like being able to route all the wiring through the grommets and out of sight. Really makes for a nice tidy case. Since I finally bought a NAS I don't really need all the internal storage on my desktop as much, but the drives are already there so fuck it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that having a billion LED fans in a computer that makes it look like it was designed as a Star Wars spaceship on acid is fucking retarded. I think I have one piece in my entire case that is an LED light and even that bugs me.
This so much, which is why I love the Corsair cases because they're clean. Drives me nuts that my 970 SLI cards both have this stupid bright ass white light on the end of the card. Ruins what is otherwise a dark interior except for the lighted Corsair logo on my water cooler block, which since it's the same company as the case I actually like it.