Desktop Computers

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Just make sure not to sit on parts for too long or your can run into issues with returns/exchanges if something is defective, unless you've somehow been able to test them out as you got them.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
My middle mouse button stopped working tonight, with how I usually browse the web opening and closing so many tabs it's about as disruptive as the cable modem going out.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
My middle mouse button stopped working tonight, with how I usually browse the web opening and closing so many tabs it's about as disruptive as the cable modem going out.
I know the feels man. When my middle mouse button goes out, its means time for a new one.

Kaita

Golden Squire
I have a Samsung syncmaster 2494 that is starting to have back light issues. It will go off, if it turn the monitor off and back on it works for a few seconds then goes out again. Do I have any options of fixing this issue? or should I just look for a new monitor.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I have a Samsung syncmaster 2494 that is starting to have back light issues. It will go off, if it turn the monitor off and back on it works for a few seconds then goes out again. Do I have any options of fixing this issue? or should I just look for a new monitor.
Not worth fixing compared to how cheap new monitors are, IMO.

Mur_sl

shitlord
Kind of agree with Flipmode, but, you might want to open it up, and look for bad capacitors. If you're remotely handy with a soldering iron, you can possibly fix it for a few bucks, and some time. Plus the bonus of learning something new.

Check here for a wealth of knowledge:Badcaps.net - Badcaps Home

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
My old Samsung 245BW started having issues after owning it for like 3-4 years. I contacted Samsung, and they rebuilt it for me. It took around 3 weeks start to finish, but I've been really happy with the screen ever since.

I didn't feel like losing my 1920x1200 resolution for one of the lame 1080p ones that are currently abundant.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
So I'm in the market to build a second computer for the wife using some old parts I already have and I go looking to buy the same motherboard I already have. EVGA P55 SLI E655. I paid $135 or so for it AGES ago on some special at Frys. I figure it should be going for $50-70 bucks on Amazon used right?

WRONG.

$450 Used on Amazon
Amazon.com: EVGA LGA1156/Intel P55/DDR3/PhysX GbE/ATX Motherboard 132-LF-E655-KR (P55): Electronics

$350 used on Ebay
EVGA P55 SLI 132 LF E655 KR LGA1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard | eBay

WTF.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
What kinda spread should I do on the cpu with arctic silver 5? I watched a bunch of videos and saw the X, the pea in the middle, and light spread on whole chip. I have the i7-4930k and want to OC. Just looking to for your opinions since I trust everyone in this thread.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
What kinda spread should I do on the cpu with arctic silver 5? I watched a bunch of videos and saw the X, the pea in the middle, and light spread on whole chip. I have the i7-4930k and want to OC. Just looking to for your opinions since I trust everyone in this thread.
I spread it myself to make sure I got full coverage. Just made sure it was a nice thin layer. Wasn't hard at all and it was my first time doing it.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
blob is the way to go. It's the only way to ensure even coverage. You can not manually spread the stuff and get an even spread, it just isn't possible without complex machinery, it can't be done with just your hand/finger anywhere near as effectively as just letting pressure naturally spread a blob.

Sure, your processor may be fine either way, but why choose the method that is assuredly less efficient if you don't have to? Blob method is more reliable, more consistent, and easier to boot. It's win/win.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So I'm in the market to build a second computer for the wife using some old parts I already have and I go looking to buy the same motherboard I already have. EVGA P55 SLI E655. I paid $135 or so for it AGES ago on some special at Frys. I figure it should be going for $50-70 bucks on Amazon used right?

WRONG.

$450 Used on Amazon
Amazon.com: EVGA LGA1156/Intel P55/DDR3/PhysX GbE/ATX Motherboard 132-LF-E655-KR (P55): Electronics

$350 used on Ebay
EVGA P55 SLI 132 LF E655 KR LGA1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard | eBay

WTF.
Not worth it. P55 platforms had issues. I never once had one that didn't have random unexplained lockups, but maybe that was because I had a bunch of Gigabyte boards.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Not worth it. P55 platforms had issues. I never once had one that didn't have random unexplained lockups, but maybe that was because I had a bunch of Gigabyte boards.
I have a P55 UDR3 something something Gigabyte. Core i5 750. Only problem I've had with it is that it would randomly shit its BIOS once a year. Their last BIOS update fixed that. It's been working well for a few years now as HTPC.

(Sample size of one).

LOL at that EVGA board being $350 used. Can put together a new 4670K w/mainboard for that.

Silence_sl

shitlord
blob is the way to go. It's the only way to ensure even coverage. You can not manually spread the stuff and get an even spread, it just isn't possible without complex machinery, it can't be done with just your hand/finger anywhere near as effectively as just letting pressure naturally spread a blob.

Sure, your processor may be fine either way, but why choose the method that is assuredly less efficient if you don't have to? Blob method is more reliable, more consistent, and easier to boot. It's win/win.
Exposed direct contact heatpipes need some extra care beyond a blob alone.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Exposed direct contact heatpipes need some extra care beyond a blob alone.
Well sure, but your average, square-plate heat sink making a connection to your CPU can be covered nicely and evenly via a centered blob. If you heat sink surface isn't a flat square, then yea, you're going to have to use a different method.

dcgamaxs40_base.jpg

will obviously require a different technique than
heatsink_base.jpg

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Well built my computer and it's running awesome so far. Thanks for all the help guys. It's been running at 30c all day but I haven't pushed it yet. I can't wait to OC this thing. I have one problem though. Windows isn't recognizing my second hard drive and I don't know how to get it to find it. My first drive is an SSD and it's running perfect but my second hard drive is a 2tb western digital HDD and that's the one not showing up. Any help would be appreciated.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Well built my computer and it's running awesome so far. Thanks for all the help guys. It's been running at 30c all day but I haven't pushed it yet. I can't wait to OC this thing. I have one problem though. Windows isn't recognizing my second hard drive and I don't know how to get it to find it. My first drive is an SSD and it's running perfect but my second hard drive is a 2tb western digital HDD and that's the one not showing up. Any help would be appreciated.
]

Hit windows key plus x. Go to disk managment. You should see it there and just have to format it and assign a drive letter. If it isn't there then you connected it wrong.