Diablo 3 - Reaper of Souls

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Less then a year ago?

The Necromancer brought a new class, several new rift lay outs, like 6 new areas. It was a pretty hefty mini-expansion.

the game launched in 2014, they added crusader in 2016 and necro in 2017 .. 2 classes and a few zones in 4 years

the game launched in a terrible state, the RMAH got hacked (if we can call changing windows clock hacking), initial content was lacking (wru cube?), botting was always rampant (i did it for years and never got caught), most patches have had bugs turning a certain class into godmode (kek perma-archon) and PVP never amounted to anything

besides that its really a solid game though, "hefty updates" and all

ps. D4 is going to be SJW friendly, there will be no succubus, and one of the main characters will be a transgender .. its only natural

Last edited:
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They fixed desyncing ages ago with Lockstep, and they added "Always attack in place" as an option on a per-skill basis which so far as fixed any problem I had with melee.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
RoS didn't fix D3 and frankly they still went back and forth on the game's entire model. From campaign mode to specific enemy materials, to adventure mode and bounty caches, to the cube and rifts, then legendary gems and greater rifts. They went all over the place with the design rather than develop the whole game, so a lot of the older stuff just dropped out.

Vulg

Golden Knight of the Realm
Where PoE completely shits on D3 is in their content release schedule and the attention that game has paid mixing things up with Leagues (not to mention Expansions).

It's clear GGG planned the end-game around this and then put pressure on themselves via their own business model, which is a gamer's dream IMO (i.e. game is free and the onus is on the Developer to release shit that you want to buy).

I'm not sure how to quantify the disparity for those who haven't checked it out - at least a 10:1 ratio of content released (PoE vs. D3).

• 1Like

Brikker

Trump's Staff
D3 after RoS was a very fun game, imo. Extremely shallow and not for playing long-term, but still quite fun. I'm just trying POE now and I can't compare them really; they're both good in their own way (I'm super newb for POE so that opinion may change).

Huh? What am I missing here...

He was counting passives (4 + 1 hellfire ammy), which he shouldn't.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
I'm pretty sure they'll go with a buy + micro transactions model for the next Diablo, like they are doing for Overwatch.

I'm more curious if they'll turn it into an MMO like Lost Ark Online, Lineage Eternal(or whatever it's called now). The potential for micro-transaction is probably bigger that way.

And will they attempt to somehow turn Diablo into an esport.

Whatever direction they go with, I'm looking forward to it...regardless of their flaws, Blizzard games usually provide me with countless hours of gameplay.

Remember when games were driven buy what was the most fun and what might be a big hit because of good gameplay?

Now it's all about finding the right monetization structure and then tacking on game systems to make as much money as possible.

Thanks Blizzard.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Remember when games were driven buy what was the most fun and what might be a big hit because of good gameplay?

Now it's all about finding the right monetization structure and then tacking on game systems to make as much money as possible.

Thanks Blizzard.

I'd thank EA for that far before Blizzard.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Chapell

Trakanon Raider
Blizzard can't allow another Diablo "failure".
It was and still is a key element of the brand itself along with Warcraft. The fact they made a bad moba who failed too, is the proof that Blizzard can produce meh stuff too. Now for some strange reason, they think E-sport. A mistake if you ask me. Why?

Enforce something usually gives mixed results, there is no exception with a competitive scene. And Overwatch already show his flaws for that kind of content. And the legendary lack of expertise when it comes to balance theirs games, won't help Blizzard succeed there.

So to summarize we have 2 failures, one is more about the brand being damaged (Diablo 3) and the other one is Heroes of the storm.
A casual "FPS", having difficulties to succeed in E-sport and well know for his 3d hentai short clip, his legacy for sure.
"Blizzard doing Mobile games now" is the usual salt comment you'll see around the net.

The next Diablo game must succeed and not only in numbers, (it will anyway) but it simply must be a very good game.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
HotS is a failure? I have no interest in mobas so I don't know how to measure success be failure. Have they come out and said that it's a financial failure with the current monetization model?

xzi

Mouthbreather
They're a company. Let's be honest calling Diablo a failure is a very far stretch since it was the highest selling PC game aside from minecraft/WoW. That's hardly a failure. Who gives a fuck what the customer wanted from the vanilla game? They rectified that in RoS anyways and made the game what it should have been at launch but at least we got there.

I will agree with you though, Overwatch is failing to succeed in e-sports when it was intentionally built for esports but I blame blizzard completely. $20 Million entry fee and lack of third party server support is what is going to kill the game at a competitive level. But the game itself will be fine and nerds will play it forever as long as they add some nice tittyskins.

• 2Solidarity

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
HotS is a failure? I have no interest in mobas so I don't know how to measure success be failure. Have they come out and said that it's a financial failure with the current monetization model?
I would say it's not a failure, it's still running, they're still making new content(actual real content not a monthly patch worth in a year like D3). It's a failure if you consider they were trying to get a substantial amount of players like Dota2 and to a much larger extent LoL, but they probably have similar numbers to Smite, another moba which has been around for a while and they're most likely profitable with it, so I guess it depends on your point of view. Kinda like SC2 isn't a failure, even though the competitive scene for that is really small compared to the bigger games and all.

• 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I've put hundreds of hours into D3, and even though I bought some package deal for PoE when it was launched, I've never been able to get into that game. I've started playing 4-5 times but never managed to get above level 15 or so. The game just feels ... wrong, and the graphics for the starting zone look like they're lifted out of a 90s game. I've seen people play in higher level zones and they look good, so I don't see why they can't re-do the starting zone.

I don't know... PoE is a game I wish I could get into, but I can't. :(

• 2Like

Stave

Potato del Grande
I've put hundreds of hours into D3, and even though I bought some package deal for PoE when it was launched, I've never been able to get into that game. I've started playing 4-5 times but never managed to get above level 15 or so. The game just feels ... wrong, and the graphics for the starting zone look like they're lifted out of a 90s game. I've seen people play in higher level zones and they look good, so I don't see why they can't re-do the starting zone.

I don't know... PoE is a game I wish I could get into, but I can't. :(
I'm the same. I loved D2, enjoyed D3 at launch (minus server issues) and loved it after RoS. I loved other ARPG's like Titan Quest as well, but for some reason I just can't get into PoE. I think it just lacks the polish to me. Feels like I'm playing some indie knockoff of D2. I've never gotten far in it though so maybe that has to do with it.

kahilm

Blackwing Lair Raider
Whatever they do, there needs to be an ECONOMY and TRADING. It's fucking essential. No, trading shit to group members with a 2 hour window isn't an economy. Look at how long D2 lasted just on trading shit alone. I don't care if it attracts Chinese gold farmers, it needs to be there.

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I'm the same. I loved D2, enjoyed D3 at launch (minus server issues) and loved it after RoS. I loved other ARPG's like Titan Quest as well, but for some reason I just can't get into PoE. I think it just lacks the polish to me. Feels like I'm playing some indie knockoff of D2. I've never gotten far in it though so maybe that has to do with it.

It was the angle and height of the game for me at 1st. It's just off. I does feel like a indie title also. BUT if you can get past lets say lvl 30? It really opens up nicely and starts to shine.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
PoE is a bit janky and slow at first because of just how fucking high the ceiling is. The range of your character's power level is much greater(lower and higher) than D3's. Off putting at first? Definitely. It's something they've talked about fixing for a while now, specifically in regards to how movement skills suck until you brute force them into feeling mostly ok with tons of attack and movement speed. But the payoff is there. And leveling through the story is like maybe 5% of the game?

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>

I was chatting to a Twitch streamer who was streaming PoE earlier today and he told me they revamped the first zones and beginner experience a couple of months ago. Might give it another go, though you might like to know too. Might be worth a re-install.