Diablo 4 / IV / IIII / Fore / Cope / Seethe

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
1) You should be able to replace as many slots as you like with enchanting.
Well that's just dumb lol. Then items are meaningless.

You should be able to do something interesting with blue and white items though. Like if you find a blue with 2 perfect rolls, you should be able to add a third and 4th mod to it and hope for the best. If you find a high ilvl white, you should be able to craft it into a rare with 1 fixed stat and 3 random stats through a recipe.

I find it funny that they put in all this crafting bag stuff and the crafting is utterly uninspired. Crafting is probably the biggest thing they could do to make the game better.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande

2) You should be able to use items as enchanting mats to give it's mods as replacement choices. Like if you use a +300 life chest with 4 mods as material, you have a 25% chance of the +300 life being a choice.

3) Have more interesting mods so everyone isn't farming the same stats.
1) So itemization would turn in to "drop a rare item, make it your perfect item, ignore every other drop forever"?
2) This doesn't really change anything except for also make it easier to acquire items that you'll never upgrade or change?
3) Name any arpg where everyone doesn't farm the same stats because they're the ones worth using.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>

2) You should be able to use items as enchanting mats to give it's mods as replacement choices. Like if you use a +300 life chest with 4 mods as material, you have a 25% chance of the +300 life being a choice.

3) Have more interesting mods so everyone isn't farming the same stats.

I hate that I'm agreeing with you, but #2 is actually a really cool idea. Have a supplemental optional material slot that you can insert any item into, and whatever 3-4 affixes are on that item will have a vastly increased chance of showing up in the enchanting list. Requires a bit of thought on the economical impacts but I love that idea personally.

I think #1 would destroy the item grind though. I unfortunately do think limiting it to one enchanted affix per item makes sense. I do think you should be able to reroll uniques though to get a higher roll within the chosen affix (probably different materials/costs required here). For that matter there should just be two enchant options. Reroll affix entirely, or reroll affix roll within the affix bounds.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Also, all the random shitty affixes (% damage after dodging an attack and dumb shit like that) should be taken out of the affix pool and go into a 5th slot that can't be rerolled, so they're just bonuses.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Well that's just dumb lol. Then items are meaningless.
Nahh its still RNG with 100 shitty affixes. So yeah what would be the problem re-rolling every stat on an item? I try re-rolling 1 affix right now I have like 1/50 chance of getting something good anyway. so whats the difference if its 4/50? Plus the costs are too prohibitive to do it over and over anyway. You get like 2-3 rolls on a affix right now and even the 3rd is like 1/2 your gold.

Last Epoch has a good deterministic crafting system, I wish they stole it from that game. Every items has a "crafting" number on it so you can only craft on that item until it reaches 0.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Nahh its still RNG with 100 shitty affixes. So yeah what would be the problem re-rolling every stat on an item? I try re-rolling 1 affix right now I have like 1/50 chance of getting something good anyway. so whats the difference if its 4/50? Plus the costs are too prohibitive to do it over and over anyway. You get like 2-3 rolls on a affix right now and even the 3rd is like 1/2 your gold.

Last Epoch has a good deterministic crafting system, I wish they stole it from that game. Every items has a "crafting" number on it so you can only craft on that item until it reaches 0.
Because then ilvl would be the only thing that matters and you could just reroll any item into any other item.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
LOL thats jsut not true. For one you would run out of cash on your 3rd rerol of your second affix. And there are too many shitty affixes for you to roll anaything good anyway. Plus they could jsut add one of those "crafting potential" numbers to items like Last Epoch, like I said, and it would solve this issue. Because once the item potential reaches 0 there is no more crafting and no way to get potential back.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
LOL thats jsut not true. For one you would run out of cash on your 3rd rerol of your second affix. And there are too many shitty affixes for you to roll anaything good anyway. Plus they could jsut add one of those "crafting potential" numbers to items like Last Epoch, like I said, and it would solve this issue. Because once the item potential reaches 0 there is no more crafting and no way to get potential back.
I guess.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I was thinking about this because of the Final Fantasy thread, but Final Fantasy 10 may have the best loot system of any game.

By endgame you can just craft mods onto a rare drop zero mod item using other rare items and get what you want, and people played that game for 100 hours to do it.

Also while there are standard best mods people use, there are a wide range of really powerful game changing mods available that are not just +damage in different ways.

I hate that I'm agreeing with you, but #2 is actually a really cool idea. Have a supplemental optional material slot that you can insert any item into, and whatever 3-4 affixes are on that item will have a vastly increased chance of showing up in the enchanting list. Requires a bit of thought on the economical impacts but I love that idea personally.

I think #1 would destroy the item grind though. I unfortunately do think limiting it to one enchanted affix per item makes sense. I do think you should be able to reroll uniques though to get a higher roll within the chosen affix (probably different materials/costs required here). For that matter there should just be two enchant options. Reroll affix entirely, or reroll affix roll within the affix bounds.
Thanks, you can definatly add limitations to maintain the loot grind like maybe each additional slot enchanted has a penalty so that you can get the stats your build needs but not in optimal quantities unless it drops naturally.

My point as always is that I can think of a better (if still flawed) system with very little time and effort.

I should have done game design at university... OH WAIT I DID... I just don't live in California so I was screwed.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
You just balance it based on currency. The currency is already tied to game labor/game hours. I agree you have to be careful not to make the enchant system too strong that it deincentivizes pushing high NM tiers for greater chances of item drops (rolls). You don't want to de-incentivize the standard loop, but you also want to spice it up by offering an "alternative loop" with a currency system. A lot of people would probably do the currency system and play slot machine with affixes. I could see it being bigger dopamine hits than digging through 10-15 different full inventories of NM runs for the day. But personally, I am not for allowing any more than 2 affix changes to an item. And I'd be satisfied with Sean's 1 affix change as long as we also can target the current affix for a roll to improve the existing affix value as an option.

• 1Like

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande

Why would it be 4/50? It would be 1/50 on 4 mods until all 4 mods were perfect, aka no reason to ever look at loot because you just take any item that drops and roll your perfect 4 mods on it.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Why would it be 4/50? It would be 1/50 on 4 mods until all 4 mods were perfect, aka no reason to ever look at loot because you just take any item that drops and roll your perfect 4 mods on it.
Jesus would have to come down and bless your item for you to roll perfect stats on any given item. Oh and I hope he comes down with a bag of gold too. Oh and its actually 3/50, or out of howerver many fucking affixes there are, because it gives you 3 choices every time you try and reroll.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I was thinking about this because of the Final Fantasy thread, but Final Fantasy 10 may have the best loot system of any game.

By endgame you can just craft mods onto a rare drop zero mod item using other rare items and get what you want, and people played that game for 100 hours to do it.

Also while there are standard best mods people use, there are a wide range of really powerful game changing mods available that are not just +damage in different ways.

Thanks, you can definatly add limitations to maintain the loot grind like maybe each additional slot enchanted has a penalty so that you can get the stats your build needs but not in optimal quantities unless it drops naturally.

My point as always is that I can think of a better (if still flawed) system with very little time and effort.

I should have done game design at university... OH WAIT I DID... I just don't live in California so I was screwed.

It's amazing how many half-baked bare bones systems are in D4. The meme about copy paste some unity assets and call it D4 holds water when you look at systems like item enchanting. The gold costs of enchanting were filled in by an intern pressing random keys, completely pulled out of their ass-- as are the types of changes you can make with the system being as uninspired and limited in function as possible.

There is no reason the fourth game in the sequels shouldn't have an alternative loop, so you have at least 2 varied activities and grinds besides NM dungeons.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>

I always wondered what sort of people went to university for "game design." Things are beginning to make more and more sense.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
LOL thats jsut not true. For one you would run out of cash on your 3rd rerol of your second affix.
No, because then the complaints would just switch to - "They need to add more ways to farm gold!!! They need to allow us better gold drops from mobs!! Treasure goblins should drop 1million+ gold!!!". And on and on it would go until the power creep gets to where you have 4 trillion crits like you did in D3, or you completely BIS your character in 4-5 days like you did in D3.

Gamers think they know what they want and that they "know best", but gamers are fucking retarded.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I can admit im not a game designer, all I know that items in this game just feel bad. Like misty said, too many shitty affixes. Now you can tell me about other games and compare, blah, blah, but im speaking on items in THIS GAME, not poe or whatever the fuck. they just feel bad. There is no reason that one should go for 10+ levels in this game without one fucking upgrade because the items are just that bad.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
No, because then the complaints would just switch to - "They need to add more ways to farm gold!!! They need to allow us better gold drops from mobs!! Treasure goblins should drop 1million+ gold!!!". And on and on it would go until the power creep gets to where you have 4 trillion crits like you did in D3, or you completely BIS your character in 4-5 days like you did in D3.

Gamers think they know what they want and that they "know best", but gamers are fucking retarded.

Are the people over at Blizzard all packed and ready to fuck off to no where once the acquisition completes? Did you pack your Zoomer shit?

• 1Worf

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Because then ilvl would be the only thing that matters and you could just reroll any item into any other item.

Ilvl already is pretty much the only thing that matters, even a perfect stated items with a shit ilvl is still a trash ass item.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users