Diablo 4 / IV / IIII / Fore / Cope / Seethe

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Project D2, PoE ---------------------------> Everything else
It is amazing how many of that extended list I have tried. ARPG is definitely my jam.

And Diablo IV remains my only video game regret purchase in the last 10 years at least.

Right? It's like people think "OH YOU HATE D4 YOU MUST HATE ALL DIABLO GAMES!"

Top Down Isometric ARPG's are a pretty big genre. Hell the "Gauntlet" series even did it, I remember pumping MONEY into gauntlet legends.

The torchlight series was pretty fun, Minecraft Dungeons is a great time-waster that I did with my eldest.

There are so many games out there that if you DON'T know of any then you are willfully just keeping your head in the sand. I get it, you like the EXACT flavour of game you like, but if you are like "WHERE ARE THESE ALTERNATIVES?!?!" then lets not pretend that you care enough to look.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Goatface

played a lot of D1 and D2 back in the day. don't remember much of d1 other than mods/cheats craziness online. Never got to 100 in D2. would normally get to 70's and just burn out. remember last time i played, got a barb upper 80's and he went poof. never tried to figure out what happened as was getting bored by then. we used to do lan parties with mods, that was pretty fun.
titan quest 1 was a blast, don't recall the details but my guy was pretty pimped, think there was a patch that wrecked by build.
scared 2 was great but iirc, they were having issues and kept delaying a patch to fix some game breaking issues i was having
marvel heroes might be the arpg with the most played hours. even as a totally free player, had most of characters and all the but 1 outfit i really wanted and almost bought it, but then they pretty much put free players on a lower tier and then everything went to shit.

currently have just under 900 hours played for d4, but a lot of that is just standing around. leveling up and the putting together of first couple of sets of gear are pretty fun. play 100% solo, so don't do rotations. last season think did 30 duriel runs and had planed to do 50 this season, but after 15 or so, just so tired of helltides and don't want to spend another 13+ hours doing them.
killed malphas with my first ok set of gear and it was little rough. got better gear and farmed up enough stuff for about 30 runs. last week decided to just grind them all out, malphas took like a min to kill, but the loom takes about 12 mins. did that about 5 times and noped out.

after the gauntlet 2-13 release scrubbed, apparently the official german d4 site had listed it for 2-27, which has also been removed. by my quick maths, s3 is 84 days long, so march 5 will be the half way point.

March 28th game will be on gamepass so will probably be a big player surge for last 18 days of S3. would almost bet they will do another uber drop rate boost or mini event.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Oh I forgot about Marvel Heroes. I miss that game.

PD2, PoE -> Grim Dawn, Marvel Heroes ------------------> Everything Else

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Why even quote me?

If you actually wanted alternatives, you would have googled "List of ARPG's" yourself and got a hit on the FIRST LINK.

You don't want alternatives though, do you?
I've played a good part of those, certainly everything up to the Diablo mods (except Wolcen which for some reason I don't like without a grounded reason). That list gets really muddy once you are past the mods to Diablo section. Not gonna claim I know them all for sure, so maybe there's a gem I missed. But Lost Ark or BG Dark Alliance are not what I count as Diablo-likes. Like I said, ARPG means little. Genshin Impact and Elden Ring are arpgs (played both) but it's not what I am looking for.

I somehow can't get LE to click with me after some attempts these last 1-2 years, maybe after their launch I give it another run. Or PoE2 at some point I guess.

Last edited:

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
from last patch notes
  • The drop chance of Uber Unique items acquired outside of Uber Duriel encounters has been increased.
View attachment 514684

if i understand correctly (probably wrong as on painkillers and stuff)

uniques have a -/+1% chance to replace a legendary drop, with the change ubers have 0.04% to replace the unique
around 50 times less than duriel
depending on class, would be like 0.014% 0.018% chance get a helm.

View attachment 514691
with it looking like they suppressed the duping. think should bring more people around to "this is bullshit" camp. it is one thing to pay 500-800m for 100 runs with duped mats and 6 billion.

Well don't forget their diversity hires already admitted they don't know how math, percentages, and decimal points work. I mean when you hire nothing but American Inventors, faggots, trannies, and retards this is what you get.

bb237e3e-1f27-443b-a4a2-3baad52e854f_text.gif

74cc9432-05e0-4ba5-ad3d-8edec5526c9c_text.gif

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This came up as something to spend Bing points on. I don't play and have no idea how useful it is, but it might be useful to someone else that has a lot of Bing points.

1708214889297.png

• 1Moron

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
I've played a good part of those, certainly everything up to the Diablo mods (except Wolcen which for some reason I don't like without a grounded reason). That list gets really muddy once you are past the mods to Diablo section. Not gonna claim I know them all for sure, so maybe there's a gem I missed. But Lost Ark or BG:DA are not what I count as Diablo-likes. Like I said, ARPG means little. Genshin Impact and Elden Ring are arpgs (played both) but it's not what I am looking for.

I somehow can't get LE to click with me after some attempts these last 1-2 years, maybe after their launch I give it another run. Or PoE2 at some point I guess.

"Top Down Isometric"

Also, I'll eat crow on this one, you are looking. Unfortunately there really won't be a magic "Diablo" game that isn't diablo, but really even diablo isn't much a diablo at this point, you have to make concessions.

Oddly enough the game that I found most "Diablo Like" was flipping Minecraft dungeons, with a HEAVY caveat that it's built for basically getting kids into diablo.

PoE feels so slow to me but thats after playing many seasons in D3. I'm going to give it a heavy go in PoE2.

Nothing really FEELS like Diablo, there WAS (Heavy Emphasis on WAS) a huge push to make the games enjoyable and killign things entertaining with the hope of finding sexy loot, now it feels like a slog. Mechanics built to keep you in game. Drop rates designed to keep you playing..just feels so scripted in a bland way.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
PoE has no hard caps to speak of on most of its mechanics (other than using int32). There is no other game that even comes close to the speed and monstrous power you can achieve for a character.

It's actually too much honestly. Trying to move a character specifically made for heist or old lab running would make most people dizzy or even feel sick. The developers embrace and even encourage the idea of creating builds that can actually 1 shot everything in the game and it was the first game to allow, and facilitate autobombers with no developer intervention that I can think of.

Go ahead and look up youtube videos and see if you can focus on the screen for more than 10 seconds with some of the full speed builds.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
PoE is fine, but I've played it for a dozen years now. Sometimes you need to switch it up. I figure such a time frame is enough time for some other studios to make similar games. But as I said, the list is somewhat short.

My three candidates for the next year are hoping that I come around on LE, then there's PoE2, and Titan Quest 2 but that's probably far off.

On the bright side, for other genres, TW:WH seems to be reigning in their corporate greed phase so maybe that becomes worth spending more time on again.

• 1Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I have been on a tour of older ARPGs, I did Warhammer 40K: Inquistion Prophecy Martyr or whatever, and that was a good time. I dropped 110-120 hours into leveling a few characters through the main story/campaign, and it was fun. I also got Victor Vran and Van Helsing but they have been just too old; I couldn't really get into them; I quit after the first act of Van Helsing and never started Victor Vran.

I picked Last Epoch back up in anticipation of the upcoming 1.0 launch, a whole lot of changes since I last leveled up my Forge Guard a couple of years ago. Looks like, in opposition the Diablo 4, caring about your players more than your shareholders will probably mean your game is going to do better and have longer legs. The Loot system, the crafting system, the Loot Filter, stash tabs everything about Lost Epoch speaks to how so much of the BS in D4 is purposefully built in by design to increase "engagement" i.e. time spent logged in but not playing.

Holy Fuck it makes my blood boil sitting here thinking about the deliberate design decisions that were make to make affixes that screwed up, to make players grind for items, to make them sort items, to make them stare at their inventories trying to decide which items to keep, and not be playing the game because some asshole executive decided they wanted eyeballs time as a metric and not happy customers. They nerfed every fun spec; then allowed some fun to remain but dependent upon drops, etc, removing player agency while also rewarding those who got lucky, all the while leaving serious technical problems in the game for months.

Games were art and commerce, and now they are commerce hidden within art, and not even very well hidden. The moment to moment gameplay of D4 is good but every almost decision make past that is bad and made for wrong reasons.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Why even quote me?

If you actually wanted alternatives, you would have googled "List of ARPG's" yourself and got a hit on the FIRST LINK.

You don't want alternatives though, do you?

Champions of Norrath missing! And that's an excellent game.

Also darkstone is fucking incredible. Easily one of the best ARPGs ever made. I wish it was continued.

• 1Worf

Goatface

i seriously thought people were joking about people paying real $ for gold.
1708352667273.png

• 2Worf
  • 1Pathetic
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 3 users

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
I have been on a tour of older ARPGs, I did Warhammer 40K: Inquistion Prophecy Martyr or whatever, and that was a good time. I dropped 110-120 hours into leveling a few characters through the main story/campaign, and it was fun. I also got Victor Vran and Van Helsing but they have been just too old; I couldn't really get into them; I quit after the first act of Van Helsing and never started Victor Vran.

I picked Last Epoch back up in anticipation of the upcoming 1.0 launch, a whole lot of changes since I last leveled up my Forge Guard a couple of years ago. Looks like, in opposition the Diablo 4, caring about your players more than your shareholders will probably mean your game is going to do better and have longer legs. The Loot system, the crafting system, the Loot Filter, stash tabs everything about Lost Epoch speaks to how so much of the BS in D4 is purposefully built in by design to increase "engagement" i.e. time spent logged in but not playing.

Holy Fuck it makes my blood boil sitting here thinking about the deliberate design decisions that were make to make affixes that screwed up, to make players grind for items, to make them sort items, to make them stare at their inventories trying to decide which items to keep, and not be playing the game because some asshole executive decided they wanted eyeballs time as a metric and not happy customers. They nerfed every fun spec; then allowed some fun to remain but dependent upon drops, etc, removing player agency while also rewarding those who got lucky, all the while leaving serious technical problems in the game for months.

Games were art and commerce, and now they are commerce hidden within art, and not even very well hidden. The moment to moment gameplay of D4 is good but every almost decision make past that is bad and made for wrong reasons.
FYI to anyone playing or wanting 40K Inquisition, the team recently released a patch that unlocked all (I think seven?) seasons forever, so you can start a new character and do each season at a time, any time.

Kind of a cool thing for devs to do at the end of a game's cycle.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity

amigo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Nothing really FEELS like Diablo, there WAS (Heavy Emphasis on WAS) a huge push to make the games enjoyable and killign things entertaining with the hope of finding sexy loot, now it feels like a slog. Mechanics built to keep you in game. Drop rates designed to keep you playing..just feels so scripted in a bland way.
Grim Dawn.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity

Argarth

On the verandah
Grim Dawn.
The problem I have with Grim Dawn, is the engine is dogshit. Combat/ragdoll physics/spell effects (vaseline + jello), all look and feel like dogshit to me. This old mutt really needs to be taken out the back of the bicycle shed and shot, several times.
I'm not trolling, I backed the kick-starter. Remake the game in something new, and I'd still be playing it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Goatface

1708482418373.png

mid-season is around march 5th, so they will probably have the chat next tuesday.

would almost bet, the "brief update" is going to be something simple like "hey guys, no longer will you get an item with both fire and cold damage bonuses"