Diablo 4 / IV / IIII / Fore / Cope / Seethe

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
View attachment 515618

mid-season is around march 5th, so they will probably have the chat next tuesday.

would almost bet, the "brief update" is going to be something simple like "hey guys, no longer will you get an item with both fire and cold damage bonuses"
They had momentum in S2, at least a little bit. Then they dropped the ball on S3 AND the gauntlet bullshit, guarantee they will delay the "itemization update" and when it finally releases it'll be terrible. Calling it now!

Nola

Trakanon Raider
They just need to throw in the towel and take S3 as a loss and concentrate on S4. With Last Epoch coming out today and PoE’s next league out next month no one in their right mind should be playing D4 anymore this season.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
They just need to throw in the towel and take S3 as a loss and concentrate on S4. With Last Epoch coming out today and PoE’s next league out next month no one in their right mind should be playing D4 anymore this season.

D3 is borked at a fundamental level, no amount of Seasonal content can unfuck anything until they redesign from the ground up. The loot system blows shit from top to bottom, the glyph system sucks dick from top to bottom.

• 1Like

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I think they would have to overhaul pretty much the entire game to get it up to standard.

There are just way too many broken systems and core mechanics that blow my mind.

I'm baffled that they fucked this game up as bad as they did.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
I think they would have to overhaul pretty much the entire game to get it up to standard.

There are just way too many broken systems and core mechanics that blow my mind.

I'm baffled that they fucked this game up as bad as they did.
Agreed, I had fun in S2, but in hindsight, I think I just missed playing an ARPG. POE may not be perfect, but I'm having a million times more fun playing it currently.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I can't see S4 magically fixing this game either. With Last Epoch and POE2 beta soon it's going to be too little too late.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Whatever effort is put into S4 itemization will be McDonald's.

They're focused on the 100 $ expac.

• 1Like

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I can't see S4 magically fixing this game either. With Last Epoch and POE2 beta soon it's going to be too little too late.

Competition will fix it.

If PoE2 and LE suck, then D4 is doomed.

Nothing fixes shit better than a healthy dose of "Oh shit layoffs" and they already had one round.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
12 million units sold in the first few months, the fastest selling game in Blizzard history. What is competition from the likes of PoE and LE going to do to that?

• 1Worf

Goatface

1708607566334.png

was thinking about this the other day, at this point sales numbers are probably a distant second, as all about the microtransactions
last epoch is pc only, poe is on console but apparently the player base is small. diablo will get a big boost in march when it comes game pass. something like 30m users on pc/console will overshadow any decline last epoch causes.
would almost bet, with it coming to gp with only 18 days before s4, there will be 2 week mini event to make stuff easier with cheaper store items.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Rustled
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Competition will fix it.

If PoE2 and LE suck, then D4 is doomed.

Nothing fixes shit better than a healthy dose of "Oh shit layoffs" and they already had one round.

12 million units sold in the first few months, the fastest selling game in Blizzard history. What is competition from the likes of PoE and LE going to do to that?
Both of you are right.

It'll take a record "season" from POE 2 or LE to really make some waves against D4. Those companies just cant compete with a marketing budget as big as some small countries GDP. So if POE 2's first season or second season comes off and touts a massive success, then we'll likely see some changes in D4.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
They don't have anyone to fix it. S4 itemization update is going to be a giant clusterfuck. These brainiacs can't even suss out damage formulas, I think something major like gear will be a bridge too far for them. People will come back for S4, play it for a few days, and then give up. POE2 beta will be out, and that will be the end of D4.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
Both of you are right.

It'll take a record "season" from POE 2 or LE to really make some waves against D4. Those companies just cant compete with a marketing budget as big as some small countries GDP. So if POE 2's first season or second season comes off and touts a massive success, then we'll likely see some changes in D4.
I wouldn't be surprised if MS puts most of Blizzard on the back burner. They already cancelled that game that was in development for 6 years and laid off a lot of people. There's bound to be more coming, too. They don't need these massive teams that have very low productivity. Put all the shit into maintenance mode and outsource or move IP to other studios. Keep a skeleton crew to flip the switches on the ventilator and send the rest of them home without a job.

9,166 people were involved with making D4. Granted, it wasn't a concurrent count, but holy hell...what in flaming fucks did all those people do? If you told me D4 was the product of a studio with NINE people, I would have believed you.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Goatface

9,166 people were involved with making D4. Granted, it wasn't a concurrent count, but holy hell...what in flaming fucks did all those people do? If you told me D4 was the product of a studio with NINE people, I would have believed you.

would bet they got a stock pile of cosmetics in the thousands for each character that will last a decade.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
View attachment 515843
was thinking about this the other day, at this point sales numbers are probably a distant second, as all about the microtransactions
last epoch is pc only, poe is on console but apparently the player base is small. diablo will get a big boost in march when it comes game pass. something like 30m users on pc/console will overshadow any decline last epoch causes.
would almost bet, with it coming to gp with only 18 days before s4, there will be 2 week mini event to make stuff easier with cheaper store items.

The wholesome tech dude that worked for blizzard said it best...

If you haven't seen his channel, it is 100% worth a watch. https://www.youtube.com/@PirateSoftware

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I'm gonna say it's obvious that Blizzard wanted a big piece of PoEs MTX pie, and while a box sale gets you a feet in the door, a game without retention won't have great numbers for MTX month after month.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'm gonna say it's obvious that Blizzard wanted a big piece of PoEs MTX pie, and while a box sale gets you a feet in the door, a game without retention won't have great numbers for MTX month after month.
I will agree that Blizzard wants to sell MTX. See above about some singular WoW MTX making more than the entirety of SC2:WoL. They've been on the MTX train pre D3 I think.

I disagree that they are competing for GGG's market share. In this forum alone, what percentage of people are actively posting in the D4 and PoE threads? I don't count btw, I haven't played D4.