Diablo Immortal

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Remember when they cancelled Ghost because they felt it wasn’t up to their standards?

• 1Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Can a mod Rickshaw this thread? Diablo mobile topic has been beaten to the ground and back in the D3 thread.
This will be where people that actually play it in the future will talk about the best builds and gem management.

It would be more likely that all of that conversation needs to be moved here.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, let the D3 thread die along with the game. Both have been on life support for awhile now.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
So, I feel I've already played the mobile game this is skinned over. I always try different ARPG games on my phone/tablet because they're what I enjoy on my pc and other mobile devices (dungeon siege is fun as fuck on my PSP). I'll play them til about level 10, close the ap, realize it's eaten 40% of my battery and never load it again. They're pretty easy to play actually, though movement is pretty damn obnoxious, and handling more than 2 skills at a time can be tedious depending on screen size. Boss encounters you just stand there spamming abilities hoping you farmed enough levels to outlive its attacks, because anything involving strict movement is completely fucked.

They're also one of the worst kinds of games for skimming additional cash off players. The pay to win cash box shit doesn't work well in that type of game since you're getting all your loot from drops. Stuff like FFRK you only get spell drops or very few specific items that have to be painstakingly crafted into less shitty items. I never spent a dime in any of the ARPG mobile games. I probably spent $500 on FFRK cuz I played it drunk way too often, and it works very well on the mobile platform. What they sell in ARPG mobile games are all tied to XP boosts, which are pointless because you're not rushing to endgame and overleveling is pointless when it's so easy to begin with, or drop bonuses which again are useless because the base drops you get are good enough, or other power ups, health pots and shit you just don't need.

If they'd done a turn based rpg, or semi-action-turn based, or a stupid gem/dot/square/candy button smashing game. Hell, sell the fucking likeness to Angry Birds so I can launch a Barbarian at a Diablo head.

I dunno. The ability to play Diablo on my phone just doesn't excite me in any way. There's a reason we all call mobile the cancer of gaming, and it looks like Blizzard's case grew from a Stage 1 with Hearthstone to full blown Stage 4 with a side of AIDS with this announcement.

Last edited:

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Do these games really make that much money?
I just can't imagine a game like this can make a lot more money than say a clash royale style game with the warcraft IP.

Fucking Idle Heroes has made over 100 million dollars. Mobile Gaming is pay to win and nothing else. The games are designed to make you open your wallet.

• 2Like

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Far be it from me to criticize how people spend their time or money but I do not understand how people play, let alone spend a lot of money (or any money), on mobile games.

My buddy has been playing Marvel Contest of Champions for a few YEARS now. It's a fighting game but I swear when I watch him play, it's swipe-swipe-swipe-tap-swipe-swipe-swipe. He'll do it for hours. I don't understand the appeal AT ALL.

I'm pretty sure you can buy XP boosts, or whatever maguffin you need to continue to play along with skins but I just don't get it.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Far be it from me to criticize how people spend their time or money but I do not understand how people play, let alone spend a lot of money (or any money), on mobile games.

I spent more money on Idle Heroes than any other game ever. Then again, I've got a lot of disposable income, but I fully admit I'm a fucking idiot about it. I haven't spent anything in 6 months there, not even the monthly card anymore.

The funny thing is - it was all for nothing. Once you stop spending you fall behind rapidly to the players that do -- even if the players are new players. While I am still doing well there, I'm long passed over even though at one point I was probably Idle Heroes top player to the point I was even mentioned a few times on Reddit, etc. The mechanics work as such so that every week is a new "expansion", so to speak, and imagine an MMO as solely pay to win in a completely pure sense with a new expansion every week. The new outdates the old. The games, events, and everything else is designed around a pay to win model. You MUST pay, or you never advance. You will never be above anyone that does pay, no matter how much you paid in the past.

It's a brilliant model to be clear - but ANYONE that ever tries to sell you a mobile game is selling snake oil. Every time. Even the paid games.

This is a fascinating article that describes it -- And I wouldn't say this is ONLY for Idle heroes. This is every mobile game, and you can bet your ass it's Diablo Immortal as well.

How Idle Heroes made $100M in a Year

• 2Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I spent more money on Idle Heroes than any other game ever. Then again, I've got a lot of disposable income, but I fully admit I'm a fucking idiot about it. I haven't spent anything in 6 months there, not even the monthly card anymore.

The funny thing is - it was all for nothing. Once you stop spending you fall behind rapidly to the players that do -- even if the players are new players. While I am still doing well there, I'm long passed over even though at one point I was probably Idle Heroes top player to the point I was even mentioned a few times on Reddit, etc. The mechanics work as such so that every week is a new "expansion", so to speak, and imagine an MMO as solely pay to win in a completely pure sense with a new expansion every week. The new outdates the old. The games, events, and everything else is designed around a pay to win model. You MUST pay, or you never advance. You will never be above anyone that does pay, no matter how much you paid in the past.

It's a brilliant model to be clear - but ANYONE that ever tries to sell you a mobile game is selling snake oil. Every time. Even the paid games.

This is a fascinating article that describes it -- And I wouldn't say this is ONLY for Idle heroes. This is every mobile game, and you can bet your ass it's Diablo Immortal as well.

How Idle Heroes made $100M in a Year
What blows my mind is there are no catch up mechanics. You just have to pay even more to catch up to what the current game expects of you. After my experience with FFRK I absolved myself from any game that operated in any manner similar and refuse to participate. The money sink is fucking real. I like to pretend I'm completely absolved of gambling, but FFRK sucked me in enough to break that. Temporarily.

It's a psychological mind fuck. To the point that I'm so apprehensive of any game these days that I spend most of my time browsing available games more than I do actually playing them. Like Netflix. I spend more time looking for something to watch than I do actually watching anything. And when I find something, I burn out a series.

Ultimately I'm left wondering what the fuck I'm even doing. Is the enjoyment now just sifting through the hundreds of options?

• 2Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
sjdhNW1.jpg

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Nola

Trakanon Raider
The only game I really played on my phone was Hearthstone when I use to be in it. Now I only have Roblox(to shut my son up when we're at a restaurant) solitaire and Final Fantasy 6 via SNES emulator on my phone. I can't sit there and play he's ony phone for hours. It either has to be on a PC or console for me.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I really hate the "PC Gamers are acting like entitled asshholes," bit.

1) They are entitled. Entitled to want what they want and make it known when the product they're getting is nothing at all that they want.
2) They did help build the brand collectively. Through countless hours playing, and modding, and discussing and strategizing through various iterations over the years. There is an investment and it is perfectly acceptable to expect a return.
3) They are entitled not to be baited by corporate shills pushing a product they have to 100% know their core audience isn't interested in.

I honestly don't care, or blame them for wanting in on the mobile market but this was a bad idea all around.

Announce Diablo 4 (or better yet World of Diablo), release date TBA, but to tide you over, take a look at Diablo Immortal (or better yet Diablo Shelter) releasing early next year. With some cool exclusive cosmetic content that will transfer to D4 on release. Profit.

Also: all of this after the absolute debacle of D3, RMAH, terrible plot, terrible misread on the community. Makes me sad about the future of Diablo.

Path of Exile will carry that torch.

Chris

Potato del Grande
What blows my mind is there are no catch up mechanics. You just have to pay even more to catch up to what the current game expects of you. After my experience with FFRK I absolved myself from any game that operated in any manner similar and refuse to participate. The money sink is fucking real. I like to pretend I'm completely absolved of gambling, but FFRK sucked me in enough to break that. Temporarily.

It's a psychological mind fuck. To the point that I'm so apprehensive of any game these days that I spend most of my time browsing available games more than I do actually playing them. Like Netflix. I spend more time looking for something to watch than I do actually watching anything. And when I find something, I burn out a series.

Ultimately I'm left wondering what the fuck I'm even doing. Is the enjoyment now just sifting through the hundreds of options?
FFRK is really free to play friendly. If you started playing 3 years ago. Catch up mechancis is power creep.

It's an amazing game but I understand if people coming into it now get lost. Same as PoE really.

• 1Solidarity

Therage

Vyemm Raider
I am annoyed that they didn't announce d4 or something similar. But I can understand why they did this. They saw Pokémon go, fire emblem, ff games, all the revenue that shit generates and thought it would be a good idea. I mean shit Pokémon go brought in a lot of people who never played Pokémon before. They probably thought maybe it could boost sales.

I will say as anecdotal evidence that at work with a bunch of young 20 somethings. They all game on the phones all the damn time. One plays PUBG a lot, has like five emulators and has beaten many games on it all on his phone, doesn't own a pc but has consoles. I think part of this issue is because in the last decade we've had smartphones they have become a distraction for kids by parents. Not that it's a bad thing, but instead of a Gameboy we've replaced it with a phone. Only natural that younger gamers are going to enjoy playing shit on their phones. Similar to those of us that grew up with arcades near buy and would waste allowances on those machines all the time.

I Will also say playing d3 on the switch is pretty good imo. Being able to lay in bed with TV on and run some rifts is nice. I don't like playing games on my phone personally, but maybe it won't be super horrible with controller support, although I don't think it will be awesome.

• 1Like

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I Will also say playing d3 on the switch is pretty good imo. Being able to lay in bed with TV on and run some rifts is nice. I don't like playing games on my phone personally, but maybe it won't be super horrible with controller support, although I don't think it will be awesome.

Controller support for a mobile game.

That sounds really nice, adding an external monitor, PSU, HDD, GPU and CPU might make it awesome?!

gtfo

• 4Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

Therage

Vyemm Raider
Controller support for a mobile game.

That sounds really nice, adding an external monitor, PSU, HDD, GPU and CPU might make it awesome?!

gtfo

Because that's what I said right? Controller support for phones isn't unreasonable I'm sure there's phone controller/holder combos coming soon. Especially since Ms is supposedly working on one for its tablets. Still didn't say the game would be good.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Fucking Idle Heroes has made over 100 million dollars. Mobile Gaming is pay to win and nothing else. The games are designed to make you open your wallet.

And blizzard seeing that and seeing all the diablo clone knock offs on mobile decided they wanted to get some of that cash. I can't say I blame them for it but I don't think blizzcon was really the best place to announce it and I think they should have done a better chance of setting expectations going into blizzcon.

• 1Like