Disney Infinity's Toy Box

Goatface

holy shit these toy games are nutty high
starter kit with 3 figures $75
solo figure $15
playset with 2 figures $40
3 figure pack $30
power disk pack - 2 random disks $5 (20 disks in wave 1)

*these were walmart prices, looks like amazon has them a few bucks cheaper

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I get the appeal behind this, sort of minecraft on steroids, but once you take a look at the pricing structure I really start to wonder if children aren't immensely better served buying fancy lego kits.

YxxAn_sl

shitlord
Anyone from the US got this? I preordered it for my daughter for the Wii U (EU release 22th aug), something we can play together. It's silly expensive with all the toys, but oh well :p Hopefully I'll have some fun with it also
smile.png

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I get the appeal behind this, sort of minecraft on steroids, but once you take a look at the pricing structure I really start to wonder if children aren't immensely better served buying fancy lego kits.
Don't forget they are selling a new version of the game every single year... Which amounts to DLC but at full box retail pricing.

Also...

http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/16/disn...strous-report/

The profit margins on this must be insane.

Edit: Haha holy shit....

I just made an add cart on order from Amazon just to see what all this would cost if I bought it all.

Starter Pack, Villian Pack, Sidekick Pack, Power up thingies, Cars Play Set, Lone Ranger playset - $220 or something.

That is retarded. For a game with all that included has about 20 hours of content if you are lucky and still need to buy other figures just to unlock the content you already bought in the play set! Good God.

YxxAn_sl

shitlord
Gah, 100 million dollars... nice :p

But yeah it's expensive... the starter pack + a few extras ended up at 190 dollars (132 dollars @ Amazon - bastards!).
I see this purchase as an experiment mainly, because the DLC costs are retarded.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I still can't figure out how the actual game works. Is it like Little Big Planet, Disney style? How do you make "limitless possibilities" accessible to children without really dumbing things down? What can you do with the "sets" you create? Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of a "toybox" style game that lets you do whatever you want with the tools at your disposal, but there are a lot of questions that need answering about this one.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I'm all for any game that encourages creativity. I'd love to have a chance to dick around with this, is it being demoed anywhere (Best Buy, Target, etc.)?

Regarding the cost, I guess this is the modern equivalent of my parents buying me an $80 Lego pirate ship.

YxxAn_sl

shitlord
Seem to be issues with the PS3 release. I hope we get a smooth launch this week!

If I can have some fun in co-op while my daughter plays her favourite Disney character I am all for it. Toys these days like LEGO are also pretty pricey.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Bought the whole deal for the kids this weekend. They loved it. Figures seem to be very well made. There is potential here, but its not quite the same as Skylanders.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Hopefully this'll encourage them to make some proper Marvel games, now that "just make some new figures" isn't an option. The fact that the only Marvel games we've been getting are phone games, Lego games, and toys for Disney Infinity is fucking annoying. Especially when DC's knocked it out of the park with Arkham.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
The market share and profitability from those terrible mobile free to play games is just plain insane. The effort to profitability ratio is just off the charts. Does not bode well for "serious" gamers.

spronk

FPS noob
one sad side effect is that avalanche studios is apparently owned by Disney and will be shut down - they made Mad Max and Just Cause. While I liked both games, they were both kinda meh and felt unfinished.

I don't think this is necessarily super bad news, Disney basically has decided they would rather just license their IP to other game studios than try to make games. I think its probably a long term mistake, but maybe its a safer bet. It is bad news for Nintendo though, since if Disney can't make all those Marvel and Disney figure-toys work with games, I don't see how Nintendo does that much better with amiibos.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Amiibos were DOA anyway. I mean really, they have the generic mii ones (who gives a flying fuck) and the actual Nintendo character ones have been absent from the modern version of Gameboy (cell phones and tablets) since the smartphone came out and swept the market.

Nintendo is seriously fucked unless they get their heads out of their asses.

Column_sl

shitlord
Disney basically has decided they would rather just license their IP to other game studios than try to make games
O , didn't realize that. I might get a Marvel vs Capcom 4 after all.