Divinity: Original Sin 2

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Probably going to pull the trigger on buying early access to this on Steam... Has anyone else done that? Is it decent/playable enough to be worth buying early?

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Probably going to pull the trigger on buying early access to this on Steam... Has anyone else done that? Is it decent/playable enough to be worth buying early?

And is this worth it for single player?

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
I haven't played in a few patches now so I can't speak for the changes but when I played you only have access to the starting area. That gave me a good 10 hours of play time but keep in mind I take my time and poke around everywhere. Mechanically it worked fine and gameplay was very much like the first one. They have changed some thing since then, added some new mechanics and did a major tweak to AI. I'm satisfied enough with what I saw.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Never do early access but pulled the trigger on this game and I'm very glad I did. Game is awesome so far. They basically took all the good stuff in the Enhanced Edition and made it better and then added several new features. Color me impressed.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
GM mode is the feature I'm most excited about but it's also the hardest for a studio to implement. It's really hard to give the players a solid toolset that isn't insanely complicated and that enables you to make the kind of game you want for your players. The original NWN did it better than most other games and that was many years ago now.

Yeah I was about to say, Loved NWN's system. Also easy to script behaviors.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Here's a youtube of their 4 hour stream where Matt Mercer GMed a group of Twitch streamers. I watched about a half hour and it looks pretty powerful.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Here's a youtube of their 4 hour stream where Matt Mercer GMed a group of Twitch streamers. I watched about a half hour and it looks pretty powerful.

That's about as far as I got. Agree, it looks powerful and not overly complex. That's great news. What I didn't see was the actual content creation toolset. We saw him GMing a group through custom content (including a cool custom in-game map), but we didn't get a look at how he actually crafted the content he was running the players through. GMing is only half of the equation.

I don't know how much content creation you guys did with the enhanced edition, I only did a little bit. While I found the toolset pretty powerful, I found the learning curve pretty steep, especially considering the toolset's complexity and the relative lack of instructional material. They put out a few tutorial vids that were appreciated but not amazingly helpful.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
So decided to fire this up again since I have some time. Holy shit the UI is still as obtuse as I remember it and managing 4 characters and thei inventories is still a pain, especially if you have 1 guy to craft, 1 guy to steal/pickpocket and 1 guy to trade...

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
You can always take the Backpack that each character comes with and give them all to a single character and use those for sorting.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
You can also double lonewolf, and just have 1 person do all that crap so you never have to talk to a vendor except on your primary :)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
That's about as far as I got. Agree, it looks powerful and not overly complex. That's great news. What I didn't see was the actual content creation toolset. We saw him GMing a group through custom content (including a cool custom in-game map), but we didn't get a look at how he actually crafted the content he was running the players through. GMing is only half of the equation.

I don't know how much content creation you guys did with the enhanced edition, I only did a little bit. While I found the toolset pretty powerful, I found the learning curve pretty steep, especially considering the toolset's complexity and the relative lack of instructional material. They put out a few tutorial vids that were appreciated but not amazingly helpful.

Their Kickstarter mail sent a video out where they went to Wizards of the Coast to demo the GM and it showed them creating the story. It looks pretty much like you'd expect their standard world creation tools would look but with more customized stuff for DM'ing.

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
I LOVED divinity for ps4 I cannot wait for this, for anyone who is in beta:

1) what do the diff races Do?

B) how viable are hybrid builds?

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
1) what do the diff races Do?

Lizards have a cone shaped fire breath ability, a +2 Int and +1 Persuation
Humans have a general party stat buff they can cast, +2 wits, +3% crit and +1 bartering
Dwarves have a Petrifying touch, +2 Str and +1 sneaking
Elves can use flesh sacrifice to gain an extra action point in exchange for a debuff, +2 Finesse and can fucking eat people for a small chance to gain a permanent ability as well as memories from the corpse.

There is also supposed to be an undead race that was in the Kickstarter stretch goals but it is not in the beta so far.

Last edited:

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
.... the fuck on that elf ability, lol

Pretty useful. I've eaten several body parts so far. Found a hidden treasure spot due to the memories I got from eating a hand I found on the beach.

Loving the game. About 22 hours in.

Caliane

yeah. elf passive is probably as op/required as pet pal.
Poorly designed imho. almost required to fully enjoy the game.

for slightly different reasons, so is TK.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
I would agree. The Elf racial is really powerful and has a great impact for the role playing experience as well.

Last edited:

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I would agree. The Elf racial is really powerful and has a great impact for the roll playing experience as well.

I bought it last year, but not really played it more than 30 minutes. Waiting for full release, but that elf ability pretty much guarantees that I will play as one since I would feel like I am missing possible content without it. Pet pal is the same. For the first game, I always removed an ability in character creation to slot pet pal instead so I had that from the start. Pet pal in the first one becomes useful less than an hour in, no doubt it will be the same in the sequel.