DOOM: The Dark Ages

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I didn't play the last one, but this looks fun and it's hard to woke-up killing demons.

• 3Mother of God
  • 2Like
  • 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 5 users

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
Looks kinda cool but I hope they have exploration/secrets etc like doom 2016. I didn't like the rock paper scissors shit from eternal. The fact that everything is super open in the trailer makes me think its just gonna be more arenas.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Eternal seems well reviewed enough that I doubt they'll go back to the 2016 gameplay. Part of my dislike for Eternal was that the UI did not support easily tracking all the resources you needed to manage. They can at least make some improvements there, though I'm not sure how they would do that cleanly.

My other dislike is that there were too many buttons to press managing said resources. Not sure what they can do there as the FPS genre isn't really conducive to automation.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Doom 2016 was a masterpiece. Eternal was good and this one will also be metal as fuck. But 2016 is by far the best.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Mr_Bungle

Recusant
<Gold Donor>
I will miss Mick Gordan's soundtracks, but the new setting is a nice change!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This one seems to be going full on absolute batshit.

Which I appreciate.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Doom 2016 was a masterpiece. Eternal was good and this one will also be metal as fuck. But 2016 is by far the best.

2016 was good, rest from here is clown shoes

• 2Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 2 users

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Absolutely loved Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal and its DLC, so that's a big yes from me. Also really excited about the shield-sawblade that reminds me of Turok 2's Razor Wind weapon which I spent many hours throwing around to slice up enemies back then. Looks awesome!

• 1Like

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is Doom Eternal worth buying?

I've seen many complain that it's too 'whack-a-mole' and massively detracts from the gameplay.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider

I've seen many complain that it's too 'whack-a-mole' and massively detracts from the gameplay.

I think the gameplay is quite similar to 2016 except refined, it adds some new weapons and some gameplay innovations (a bit of platforming but it's really easy honestly). I loved it mostly because it brings MASSIVE lore and worldbuilding. I would definitely buy it if you like the setting of DOOM.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I can fly a dragon and there cutscenes where my char fights for me? Sweet what I always wanted in doom.

• 3Worf
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I think the gameplay is quite similar to 2016 except refined, it adds some new weapons and some gameplay innovations (a bit of platforming but it's really easy honestly).

I'm not much of a shooter player anymore, but I enjoyed 2016 quite a bit. I bounced off Eternal after a few hours because, while the gunplay is similar, the fucking MMO-like rotation you have to employ to keep your resources up was obnoxious. Just let me pick a gun or two that I like and let me murder demons with them.

I think it's worth trying if the base game goes on sale for < $20. You could also track down a "demo" as well to see if you'll like the changes or not.

• 1Solidarity

Caliane

I think the gameplay is quite similar to 2016 except refined, it adds some new weapons and some gameplay innovations (a bit of platforming but it's really easy honestly). I loved it mostly because it brings MASSIVE lore and worldbuilding. I would definitely buy it if you like the setting of DOOM.
but do you actually like the direction the lore is going? turning Doom into Diablo? thats gay as fuck.

doomguy elevating himself to demigod hood by being too angry to die is badass. doomguy being a nephilim powered by angel farts is gay.

theres bits and pieces of neat looking here. doom stealing from 40k space battleship/cities. cool. doom trying to look more like a metal hurlant, metabarons or franzetta painting. cool. but again, the lame ass direction the lore went made it shit.

• 1Like

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
but do you actually like the direction the lore is going? turning Doom into Diablo? thats gay as fuck.

doomguy elevating himself to demigod hood by being too angry to die is badass. doomguy being a nephilim powered by angel farts is gay.

theres bits and pieces of neat looking here. doom stealing from 40k space battleship/cities. cool. doom trying to look more like a metal hurlant, metabarons or franzetta painting. cool. but again, the lame ass direction the lore went made it shit.

Not gonna spoil the story here since some people haven't played it, but you either didn't finish the main game or play any DLC because the story doesn't really go the way of Diablo where you have the semi-good angels vs bad demons, there's several twists and the reveals in the DLC of Eternal go far beyond anything Diablo has ever produced as far as epicness goes. Some cinematics and exchanges in part 2 of the last DLC alone are extremely badass.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

What Runnen calls 'refined gameplay' most other people call gumming up the elegant simplicity of 2016 with a bunch of unnecessary complexity. Also they added an enemy called Marauders which are among the most frustrating things in the entire history of the industry.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
What Runnen calls 'refined gameplay' most other people call gumming up the elegant simplicity of 2016 with a bunch of unnecessary complexity. Also they added an enemy called Marauders which are among the most frustrating things in the entire history of the industry.

Yeah marauders are what I’d call masochistic and self-flagellation. Fuck those guys, and fuck anyone involved in their design.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
I will miss Mick Gordan's soundtracks, but the new setting is a nice change!

Yeah marauders are what I’d call masochistic and self-flagellation. Fuck those guys, and fuck anyone involved in their design.
Fighting Marauders is all about having patience. If you dont have any you will lose.

Last edited: