DOOM: The Dark Ages

sliverstorm

Trakanon Raider
+1 for Doom Eternal. Definitely more mechanically complex than 2016 (probably harder on a first playthrough? I haven't played 2016 in a while), but as a result you feel like more of a god when you're in the flow. Top 5 game for me--combat is so crisp and punishing.

Dark Ages trailer looks mostly cool. Got some Painkiller vibes from the hordes of same enemies and the stake gun thing.

The two seconds of flying looked like just the worst thing for a Doom game. I would love to be proven wrong.

Mr_Bungle

Recusant
<Gold Donor>
The two seconds of flying looked like just the worst thing for a Doom game. I would love to be proven wrong.
I thought the same thing. I really hope flying isn't heavily integrated into secret hunting. Part of the fun was finding that hidden access hallway on top of a moving pylon that you thought was just a fancy set piece!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

sliverstorm

Trakanon Raider

Good article on the philosophy behind The Dark Ages.

"If you were an F22 fighter jet in Doom Eternal, this time around we wanted you to feel like an Abrams tank," he adds, and it's an analogy that's indicative of where id is steering Doom: The Dark Ages. "It means you're more powerful and grounded. The combat system for new players – those who only got into Doom with the reboot – I think with The Dark Ages they are going to feel like this is a reimagined combat system. But for long-time fans of the series, people who played the original Doom, you'll see it's really a return to form."

What does that mean in real terms? Martin says the spirit of the original game comes alive in a number of ways, but perhaps the most notable is with respect to how you move. "You're heavier, more powerful, and grounded," he says. "We're making strafing-to-aim a thing again. You'll be weaving between projectiles, just like you did in the original Doom, to deliver that Super Shotgun blast to the chest… It almost creates this three-dimensional 'shoot 'em up' puzzle that you're weaving your way through."

• 2Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

Good article on the philosophy behind The Dark Ages.

"If you were an F22 fighter jet in Doom Eternal, this time around we wanted you to feel like an Abrams tank"

Yikes...

• 1Worf

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
I wonder if this push is an effort to make things easier for consoles. The announcement trailer was 100% console game play and not master race PC.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Well I have to say, a return to form of the original games has my attention.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
"If you were an F22 fighter jet in Doom Eternal, this time around we wanted you to feel like an Abrams tank"

Yikes...

Are you one of those people who simp for non-American weapons platforms based on the bullshit specs those other countries release?

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Reporter. Stock Pals CEO. Head of AI.
<Gold Donor>
Araysar Araysar what do you think the gaming version of an Abram’s tank would feel like
Your character is grossly overweight, needs med kits every 30 seconds and can be taken out by anything the size of a dinner plate.

Last edited:
  • 1Double Worf

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Lol, fine, a T-90?

You are well proportioned and of reasonable weight. You are rugged and resourceful. You are low-maintenance and able to survive for extended periods of time on your own.

This part actually checks out, provided you are playing on nightmare
No I mean you need med kits even if you're not in combat. You lose health just from existing.

The Abrams needs its air filters cleaned every 8 hours even if it's just idling, doing nothing

• 1Worf

Butthurt

<Nazi Janitors>
You are well proportioned and of reasonable weight. You are rugged and resourceful. You are low-maintenance and able to survive for extended periods of time on your own.
Yep, that sounds more like the Doom Slayer. This checks out.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Yep, that sounds more like the Doom Slayer. This checks out.

Yes but what version of Doom Slayer? Can you kill hordes of enemies with your cannon alone? Or are you forced to occasionally ram something to make your cannon functional again?

• 3Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Butthurt

<Nazi Janitors>
Yes but what version of Doom Slayer? Can you kill hordes of enemies with your cannon alone? Or are you forced to occasionally ram something to make your cannon functional again?
Probably the Doom:Eternal Version. Did you ever see where that T90 rolled up on those Ukes just standing around and blasted them all with the cannon? The T90 got a full reload from that move.

• 1Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Don't forget about when T-90 goes full stealth and pretends to be a barn on tracks.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
ou are well proportioned and of reasonable weight. You are rugged and resourceful. You are low-maintenance and able to survive for extended periods of time on your own

That is the T-90’s dating profile. Then you show up for dinner and discover it breaks down because it runs on a 2nd hand Lada engine, corrupt officers sold all the good parts and replaced them with aluminum foil and cardboard, and it gets gang banged by Bradleys

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
That is the T-90’s dating profile. Then you show up for dinner and discover it breaks down because it runs on a 2nd hand Lada engine, corrupt officers sold all the good parts and replaced them with aluminum foil and cardboard, and it gets gang banged by Bradleys

This is the dating profile as relayed to you through 5 people who hate you or her. Entirely manufactured nonsense.

By comparison, the Abrams is literally Gorlock the Destroyer listing out all its requirements for a man.

• 1Worf