Driverless Cars in 2016

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
The only scary thought is having driverless cars AND human drivers on the same roads. Overall, I'd put my faith in driverless cars for safety.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
The only scary thought is having driverless cars AND human drivers on the same roads. Overall, I'd put my faith in driverless cars for safety.
That's the main problem so far. Driverless cars follow the rules/laws so well that they're actually kinda dangerous with humans driving around them. Driverless car will drive the speed limit of 65 while everyone else is going 80 and passing them on both sides. Driverless cars can get stuck at 4-way stops because the other 3 directions never stop completely, people just roll through stop signs, etc.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I don't understand why we're skipping the obviously-in-need-of-work highway 'autopilot' (ala Tesla) for a few generations of vehicles before diving headlong into "oh fuck, we really didn't think of that..." territory on the Googletrain.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I thought I read a few weeks ago that google driverless cars had a fender bender rate of twice that of human operated cars. They weren't equipped to deal with people who gave up the right away to merge and such. Not major accidents but small fender benders.

As someone mentioned just because the sign says 70mph speed limit doesn't mean that. I can imagine you would get run over and cause multiple accidents on the interstate in the morning where average traffic flow is 80+. For the longest time TX had a big campaign about how it didn't matter how fast the other car was going it was the law to move over and get out of the left lane. TX used to release the largest cause of accidents and number one for a number of years was a vehicle driving too slow. Of course that included farm machinery, other heavy equipment moving, logging equipment and such.

Study: Self-driving cars have higher accident rate

Even though they haven't been at fault, self-driving test cars are involved in crashes at five times the rate of conventional cars, a new study finds.
Very few humans obey the road signs. They follow the flow of traffic.

In almost every case, the accidents involving self-driving cars have involved other cars crashing into them. They are often traveling at slow speeds. No accidents have been reported from self-driving cars going haywire and a human is always on board in case something goes wrong.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
On a positive note, you can't get a DUI if the car is driving itself. Personally, I won't be an early adopter, because I'm waiting on one of these.

rrr_img_121851.jpg

koljec_sl

shitlord
Are we really doing this?
Maybe deployed in a very limited market? I don't think these things have been operated outside of sunny warm climates yet. I'd like to see how they programmed to deal with, and differentiate between, deer and people, too.

In general, I like driving and am not very interested in the function outside of part-time use for road trips.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Maybe deployed in a very limited market? I don't think these things have been operated outside of sunny warm climates yet. I'd like to see how they programmed to deal with, and differentiate between, deer and people, too.

In general, I like driving and am not very interested in the function outside of part-time use for road trips.
I've always done a lot of driving for business. Sometimes it's three or four hours a day. If I could do paperwork while being driven, I'm all for it.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Also, people like the 85 year old woman who rear ended me today could have been using her cell phone in safety.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
On a positive note, you can't get a DUI if the car is driving itself. Personally, I won't be an early adopter, because I'm waiting on one of these.

rrr_img_121851.jpg
I doubt that's true, actually. A lot of laws are wholly unready for any advances in AI/automation at the consumer level. You can get found guilty of a DUI for just for having the keys and being in a car drunk (ie capacity to drive), so I imagine any self-driving car for quite some time will have a 'manual-mode' and you're just going to be guilty no matter what if it happens.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
God i can't wait for them. Nothing makes my jimmies rustle like cars stacked up bumper to bumper at red lights.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I just doubt they're ready for most situations that actually cause problems for normal drivers and they will cause more of those situations by being so particular. Can you imagine hundreds of those shitting up HOV lanes on freeways by traveling exactly the speed limit? What about dealing with snow or water where a driver sees rain/ice far enough in advance to slow down and take a more cautious route and the g-car goes barreling into black ice at 65. Can they even deal with train crossings without beams like the light rail in phoenix which is basically just lights? You can take a right on red in some places and hit a train.

I'm all for autopilot like Tesla is doing to solve the highway problems but the google shit is only going to cause people to have even less attention and take zero responsibility for driving and invariably it will need manual intervention at some point.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
It will require quite a rewrite of traffic laws and the way we view driving but I doubt there will be any opposition once the tech is truly ready when people realize they can sleep on their hour commutes or watch movies on road trips or get shit faced drunk without worrying about duis.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I can see for in town commuting. But I can't see in my lifetime wanting a vehicle that doesn't have human controls. Off the top of my head I can think of dozens of situations a computer isn't going to handle. I guess I am in the minority.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fuck this technology. It only works and improves traffic if the vast majority of the cars on the road are driverless. That isn't happening for decades.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm all for this. People should lose their rights to drive. I'd rather sleep/ not worry about DUI's. My guess is larger vehicles like Van's would skyrocket in sales. Bed plus TV to and from work would be perfect

fris

Blackwing Lair Raider
bring it all on, let consumers pick the winner. i can't wait till i can get in the car and sleep for a few hours and wake up where i want to be. airlines are going to lose a ton of short flight business. long drive to work? no prob anymore.

eventually we will need installations at every light, stop sign and every few miles to expand the network our cars run on.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Yep. I'm all for this as well. So far, all I'm seeing here is "they won't exceed the speed limit like everyone else", which is only an issue if you believe in your God-given right to ignore the speed limit. Which is, you know, not a right, at all.

I mean, I saw in here "just because the sign says 70 doesn't mean that's the limit"? Uh, yes. It does mean that's the limit. What did you think it meant? "Go 70 if you feel like it"? Just because most humans (who are usually retards behind the wheel) choose to ignore the limit doesn't mean that it isn't still a limit, heh.

Situational awareness is the only missing link right now. As has already been pointed out, it will be very difficult for a driverless car to understand the stupidity behind a human driver 100% of the time. Things like black ice will also be a problem, yes, but I'm of the opinion that 99% of the problems with the AI will be human-driver-related.

Cinge

Vyemm Raider
Much as I trust computers driving instead of 95% of humans, I don't see them meshing well with human drivers at all. It would have to be all or nothing, imo.

Plus I see the whole thing falling apart after enough lawsuits against whoever makes the AI, when something bad happens.

Not to mention security, IE 3rd parties gaining access to the car's AI.