E-reader or tablet

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
He didn't have much to work with finishing Wheel of Time, that series was a train wreck long before he took over.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Tablet. Easier to pirate/read stuff that doesn't come from the right place or in the right format.
I appreciate my eyes too much to try and read on a tablet ever again.

I don't know why they took away physical buttons in the first place. Were they just too convenient? Who the fuck wants to touch the screen to turn the page over and over?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I don't know why they took away physical buttons in the first place. Were they just too convenient? Who the fuck wants to touch the screen to turn the page over and over?
probably cheaper, it looks "cool", and since tablets are mainstream along with "swiping" in smartphones.

thats why i still prefer my old ass kindle 2 with loads of buttons and a full keyboard!

question for new kindle owners, did they get rid of text to speech? i didn't see it in my wifes kindle touch.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
probably cheaper, it looks "cool", and since tablets are mainstream along with "swiping" in smartphones.

thats why i still prefer my old ass kindle 2 with loads of buttons and a full keyboard!

question for new kindle owners, did they get rid of text to speech? i didn't see it in my wifes kindle touch.
No, it's still there. And yes, I'm 100% sure it was a cost saving measure... with touch replacing the keyboard, there was no reason for them to ALSO include physical buttons, they were going for cheapest device possible, no physical buttons helped keep the cost down, and from what I can gather, their non-touch version with buttons in that hardware generation sold like crap compared to the touch version (I don't know a single person who bought that version of the kindle) (ie: kindle 4 basic versus the kindle touch, or the kindle 5 basic versus the kindle paperwhite). Hence the reason it's discontinued.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I would have paid extra for the kindle 4 compared to kindle touch. It was smaller, lighter and you can't beat those buttons.

Why can't they make a kindle 4 with backlight. I don't want touch, 300 PPI or any of that crap.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Dunno if this has been mentioned but Kindle cloud storage is pretty much worth the price of admission. Dunno if it's unlimited or if mine is just unlimited because of my prime membership but it's pretty much unlimited for all intents and purposes. My entire library of pirated and legit stuff is all on the kindle cloud and accessible from any device with a kindle client app (which is all of them).

You're given a kindle account that comes with an @kindle.com address and then you just email the .mobi or .pdf files to that account and then that book is available for download to all your kindle-app devices in a couple mins. If you don't have to convert to mobi the entire process is actually slightly smoother than usb synching.

I own an old kindle3, the kindle touch and the ipad air but I still find reading more enjoyable on the kindles.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
No, it's still there. And yes, I'm 100% sure it was a cost saving measure... with touch replacing the keyboard, there was no reason for them to ALSO include physical buttons, they were going for cheapest device possible, no physical buttons helped keep the cost down, and from what I can gather, their non-touch version with buttons in that hardware generation sold like crap compared to the touch version (I don't know a single person who bought that version of the kindle) (ie: kindle 4 basic versus the kindle touch, or the kindle 5 basic versus the kindle paperwhite). Hence the reason it's discontinued.
I bought the entry level Kindle largely due to the physical buttons. I think most people I know with Kindles went that route. The light on the other hand is purely a gimmick, I've been reading primarily on Kindles for about 4.5 years and only missed the light on a couple of occasions.

Tol_sl

shitlord
kindle no contest, takes a couple days to get used to the display then youll never go back to tab or paper. much easier on the eyes. super long battery life, holds a shit ton of books, easy to side load. and inexpensive. navigation needs a revamp tho.
This. E-ink is amazing and being able to set your font size and paragraph spacing is something you can never go back from. Don't use a tablet imo, get something with the e-ink

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I bought the entry level Kindle largely due to the physical buttons. I think most people I know with Kindles went that route. The light on the other hand is purely a gimmick, I've been reading primarily on Kindles for about 4.5 years and only missed the light on a couple of occasions.
After using a backlit e-reader I could never go back. It is so convenient it hurts. I'm with gogursl, I want it backlit with physical buttons. That is almost all I care about.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I'm going to necro this long dead as fuck thread because I remember it was here after I posted this in the tablet thread in tech, but it definitely belongs here

I have a Kindle Paperwhite from 2012. I fucking love it, it's the best thing ever. I read a lot, probably 3-4 hours a day. I'm tempted to update to a new one because sometimes mine gets slow to respond to things, after all it is a 5 year old electronic device.

My question is basically is it worth it? Have the new ones really improved? Is it worth getting the Oasis over the Paperwhite? I looked at the Voyage but if I was going to get the voyage and a case I might as well just get the Oasis since it comes with a nice leather one.

I dunno, what do people think? Am I wasting money?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I just picked up a 8" samsung galaxy tab a from costco for my wife. Its only $140. Quad core 16gb upgradable, 1.5gb ram.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm going to necro this long dead as fuck thread because I remember it was here after I posted this in the tablet thread in tech, but it definitely belongs here

I have a Kindle Paperwhite from 2012. I fucking love it, it's the best thing ever. I read a lot, probably 3-4 hours a day. I'm tempted to update to a new one because sometimes mine gets slow to respond to things, after all it is a 5 year old electronic device.

My question is basically is it worth it? Have the new ones really improved? Is it worth getting the Oasis over the Paperwhite? I looked at the Voyage but if I was going to get the voyage and a case I might as well just get the Oasis since it comes with a nice leather one.

I dunno, what do people think? Am I wasting money?
do you really love fucking reading on a kindle? do you love your paperwhite?...

if you say yes, then you'll probably WANT the oasis

They have a cheaper oasis now you know, the one that shows an ad after you turn off the kindle.

Why oasis? gah, it sounds stupid, but it's nicer to hold. all the kindles are just a screen, the oasis moves all the heavy shit to one side, so its kinda nice to hold in one hand actually, and the tablet is now off center.

That's really all i got really, just think about it as ergonomics. (brighter screen than old paper white, blah blah, not much really)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
That's the stuff that appeals to me in the Oasis design. I always read with one hand (what fucking heathen needs 2 hands to read a kindle!) and it can sometimes be awkward to do things like turn pages, especially when reading in bed. I dunno, I feel like I'm going to bite. Amazon has a 5 monthly payment option instead of hitting you all at once, so that makes it feel a little less bad.

Do you like the cover? It seems to be almost never talked about in reviews? How's the feel etc, do you read with it on?

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
I bought the official leather cover for my Kindle paperwhite. Protects the screen when it's in my bag I carry my tablet and laptop around in.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
So there is a new kindle Paperwhite. Waterproof, has Audible (have to use bluetooth I believe), whispersync. It starts at $130 with 8gb storage and special offers. You currently get 6 months of Kindle Unlimited for free when you order it (It launches November 7th, preorders atm).

You can return old kindles for a variable amount depending on type and condition. You'll get some amount (my 5th generation paperwhite from 2012 says ~$25) plus you get 25% off a new kindle purchase.

So I'm already paying for Kindle Unlimited, and I use it a pretty solid amount, and would continue paying for it anyways. So theoretically I can send my Kindle back and essentially pay $12.50 plus tax to upgrade. ($130 - 25% = $97.5 - $25 = $72.5 - $60 saved on kindle unlimited = $12.5)

Siliconemelons

parachuteing in to say, I have a v1 OG nook and I love e ink for reading, thinking of picking up the new kindle that glows or some similar from (trump voice) "ChiNahh"

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
So there is a new kindle Paperwhite. Waterproof, has Audible (have to use bluetooth I believe), whispersync. It starts at $130 with 8gb storage and special offers. You currently get 6 months of Kindle Unlimited for free when you order it (It launches November 7th, preorders atm).

You can return old kindles for a variable amount depending on type and condition. You'll get some amount (my 5th generation paperwhite from 2012 says ~$25) plus you get 25% off a new kindle purchase.

So I'm already paying for Kindle Unlimited, and I use it a pretty solid amount, and would continue paying for it anyways. So theoretically I can send my Kindle back and essentially pay $12.50 plus tax to upgrade. ($130 - 25% = $97.5 - $25 = $72.5 - $60 saved on kindle unlimited = $12.5)

Hmm...have Kindle Unlimited anyway. May as well get this.