EBook Readers

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
He just said that it doesn't bother him, not that they look the same. I don't get eye fatigue either, but I would still recommend an E-reader to anyone who reads daily. It really is much more pleasant, and E-readers are cheap.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
So I have a first generation Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight. I like it, but the battery life seems to be pretty terrible compared to the first generation Kindle Paperwhite. I'm thinking that is because I had a smart cover for the Paperwhite that automatically shut it off when i closed the case. Does anyone know if that type of smart cover exists for the Nook?

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I had a Nook color and moved up to a Nook HD+. I have to say for the price it is a fantastic reader/tablet. For the price its a tremendous value. It works so much better than my old Nook.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
I just received a Kindle Paperwhite as a gift. I have a nook touch and couldn't justify replacing it myself when it worked just fine even though I wanted a back-lit reader. The new paperwhite is awesome though. Back lighting is great and the page turning is a bit faster than my touch also. Only down side is that it doesn't support epub but all the conversions I've done to aw3 with calibre look perfect.

Rime

<Donor>
I was given a Kindle Fire HD 7" for Christmas and for whatever reason, it is not charging beyond 72%. I have heard all sorts of people having trouble with this, some say to drain it to dead, then charge it to fix it. Some say it will not charge to 100% if the room it is charging in is below 65 degrees. Others say to just reboot it and it should work (It did not in my case). Anyone have similar issues? Any fixes?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I have no suggestions, as google gave me pretty much what you listed already, but wtf in regard to the room being below 65 degrees? I know this isn't your idea, but just asking anyway. I can't even begin to fathom how that could be true, let alone acceptable if it were. The battery in a Kindle Fire can't be much different from millions (billions?) of batteries in similar devices, and all of those charge just fine in cold weather. This isn't like the water in your car battery freezing, and typically electronics are just fine (if not better) at cold temperatures. And 65 isn't even cold! Is there even any logic to support such a claim?

As a hopefully somewhat useful aside, every once in awhile my phone's charging status gets fucked up, usually with not charging all the way or running out too fast, and a reboot always fixes that. I think sometimes it just loses its calibration or something so it thinks it is fully charged when it isn't, so stops charging. A reboot makes it see it as it really is, so it will charge the rest of the way. Is it possible that something like that is happening with the Fire? As in, it might actually be fully charged, but the way it is measuring and reporting it, it thinks it is only 72%.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just call Amazon, they have excellent CS. Get the person who gifted it to give you the order number, with that you will have no problem getting it exchanged.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just recently converted my epub reader to Play books instead of Aldiko. Saves your spot just like kindle does and super easy to load everything from any web access (Desktop).

I don't like how it auto formats pdfs, but I already had those changed to epub anyway.

Rime

<Donor>
Replaced my Kindle Fire and the new one has some sort of weird screen flicker thing that happens for 10-15 seconds every half hour or so. Going to return this one as well >_<

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
My Nook HD+ has been absolutely rock solid. Take it on the road with me pretty much every week.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Nooks are such a better product than Kindles. It's a shame they don't sell near as well.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have no suggestions, as google gave me pretty much what you listed already, but wtf in regard to the room being below 65 degrees? I know this isn't your idea, but just asking anyway. I can't even begin to fathom how that could be true, let alone acceptable if it were. The battery in a Kindle Fire can't be much different from millions (billions?) of batteries in similar devices, and all of those charge just fine in cold weather. This isn't like the water in your car battery freezing, and typically electronics are just fine (if not better) at cold temperatures. And 65 isn't even cold! Is there even any logic to support such a claim?

As a hopefully somewhat useful aside, every once in awhile my phone's charging status gets fucked up, usually with not charging all the way or running out too fast, and a reboot always fixes that. I think sometimes it just loses its calibration or something so it thinks it is fully charged when it isn't, so stops charging. A reboot makes it see it as it really is, so it will charge the rest of the way. Is it possible that something like that is happening with the Fire? As in, it might actually be fully charged, but the way it is measuring and reporting it, it thinks it is only 72%.
You may be able to overclock cpus/gpus better with lower temperatures, but chemical batteries are much worse in lower temps.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Nooks are such a better product than Kindles. It's a shame they don't sell near as well.
Really? ya the simple touch is way better option than the basic but paperwhite seems to kick glows ass. Plus AmaZON is way less likely to go bankrupt or stop supporting the reader.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Really? ya the simple touch is way better option than the basic but paperwhite seems to kick glows ass. Plus AmaZON is way less likely to go bankrupt or stop supporting the reader.
I was referring more to the tablet e-readers from them both, the Kindle Fire line vs the Nook Color/HD line. Kindle restricts you to the Amazon app store and only reading .mobi files(unless you root the device). Nook is completely open and free. Can use any book format, can use any app store or ebook source(Google play, Amazon, B&N, etc) and the Nook is a hell of a lot cheaper. The 9" Nook HD+ with 32GB built-in storage was $150 over christmas. The top of the line 9" Kindle Fire HDX with 32GB is like $429. Kindle used to be cheap, but now they are creeping up towards Apple pricing territory, and trying to make their tablet as proprietary as possibly(also a dreaded Apple feature)

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Been a while since I've done it but Kindle used to let you convert anything to Kindle format via mailing it to the device.

Not that its hard to convert to Kindle since there's a ton more development of book managers etc for it.

The price is the primary benefit - but has to be weighed against the Amazon Primebbenefits for Kindle. The rest is honestly immaterial.

You did convince me to go with Nook for tablet #2 though. But I don't want to miss out on Prime benefits so will be sticking with at least one Kindle. Unless there's kludges to do the book lending with other devices....

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Srs. For someone who reads a lot why read books on a tablet when you can get so many cheap eink devices? Much nicer reading experience.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I find that reading on a tablet in "night mode" (black background, white text, like this site) is just as easy on the eyes as e-ink. I just don't want to have to own one tablet for reading and another tablet for everything else. Much more convenient to have it all in 1 device.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
I find that reading on a tablet in "night mode" (black background, white text, like this site) is just as easy on the eyes as e-ink. I just don't want to have to own one tablet for reading and another tablet for everything else. Much more convenient to have it all in 1 device.
I do most of my reading like this on my smartphone in night mode.