EBook Readers

I couldn't find a thread for this so here goes

I'm walking around barnes and noble gonna buy the latest game of thrones book but I kinda want to get an ebook reader.

They have a bunch of these "nooks" for sale but all I ever heard about was the kindle which they don't have.

Do the nooks have a similar selection of books as the kindle?

The salesman wasn't sure so I'd figure I'd get some feedback before buying. The only reason I'm considering buying it is because of the warranty which I can just bring it into the store if it gets broken.

It be nice if it could do a lot of the audio books also.

Barnes and noble was near bankruptcy if I remember correctly so I guess I have to keep that in mind.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Some info over in the book house

Basically nook/Kindle/Kobo are all good. Big part of it comes down to whether you want physical page turning buttons or not. nook has buttons, others are all touch screen. Kindle is safest if you are worried about B&N going under, but I'm pretty sure they are OK now...I think.

Not sure about audiobooks, pretty sure they all have that option. My old ass nook plays mp3s so I can't imagine newer ones don't, but I have zero experience with any of them in that regard.

Good to know. I already bought it. On the way home to play with it. I picked up one of those malazan books also, gonna give that series a shot.

edit...

The one I bought has the option to either hit a button or swipe from left to right.

It plays HD movies and TV as well as the books and it has an app to connect to their book store so thats a bonus. They gave me $50 dollars in free books so I'm going to buy some stuff that way.

I definitely want to buy the audio books for traveling / driving. Sometimes I have to drive three or four hours for work so that should help keep me from getting bored.

Fuck if I know all the differences lol. It does lots of stuff though, let me look at the box.

Yah, receipt says Nook HD+ Tablet 32 GB

Tablet doesn't read as good as the Ereader?

What do you mean by rooted?

edit.. oh mod it for pirated books etc.

Idk if I really need to do that tbh. It's not like I'm a reading machine right now. I doubt I'll read more than a book a week at most.

If I did root it, would it break my warranty?

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Fuck if I know all the differences lol. It does lots of stuff though, let me look at the box.

Yah, receipt says Nook HD+ Tablet 32 GB

Tablet doesn't read as good as the Ereader?

What do you mean by rooted?
e-readers use Eink which is just like paper on your eyes.

It didn't seem that hard for me to read.

I have it set up similar to the rerolled website. Black background on white text.

I understand what you mean though.. that eink stuff seems cool but the movies and other entertainment stuff all in the tiny tablet really sold me.

Gonna be traveling so much It will prove invaluable I think.

I wonder if I can adjust the letter colors. Maybe a beige tone would keep me from getting eye fatigue. Although I have spent years staring at computer monitors anyways and my eyes have never deteriorated. Still 20/20 vision.

I've only ever gotten eye fatigue like once or twice after a marathon gaming session of like 16+ hours. poopsocking is serious business lol

It is weird though, when I browse the rerolled website it is white background on black letters. Maybe because I inverted the colors for books?

hmm time to figure out how to keep rerolled black on white without messing with the books.

edit.. ok got it fixed. I AM SO SMRT!!

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Tablet is a good buy, it's just not as good as an e-reader for purely reading books. Not as easy on the eyes for long reading sessions.

As for rooting, out of the box the nook is a locked down version of Android. Have to go through their bastardized version of the app store. Some normal Android apps are unavailable, others are money when they normally aren't. When I rooted mine I wasn't doing it for pirated books(can do that without root, and I read on the old e-ink nook), I just wanted it to be a real android tablet where I could read comics and shit on it and use all the apps in the google market. As for the warranty, there's a way to reset it to factory. My buddy is on his 3rd replacement nook after hardware problems on the first 2, and they were both rooted before he sent them back.

Mine was a hand-me-down. If I was buying a new 7" tablet it would definitely be a Nexus 7, not some locked down B&N or Amazon one. No rooting needed. And there's apps so you can use either the B&N or Amazon e-book stores/services. Soooo, yeah. I'd return the thing and get a Nexus=P

Ahh, so if I want to stream movies for free or whatever on the index sites I need to root it?

I'll get around to that soonish, not in a rush to accomplish anything, Today I want to update an LP I've been working on and I'm going to restart the GoT books because it's been nearly five years since I last read that series. I need to re-remember all the intrigue details before I read the latest book.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
The only reason I'm considering buying it is because of the warranty which I can just bring it into the store if it gets broken.
Amazon has some of the most amazing customer service ever. If something is broken, they'll send you a replacement immediately along with a label for you to return the broken device. They give you 2 weeks or so to return it, while the replacement generally arrives on the next day.

As for the Nook Tablet: from what I hear, it's a good device. But as others have said, it's not an e-reader. It's really no better at that than, say, a Nexus.

If you wanted a device dedicated to reading books, the kindle is the way to go imo. Not least because you can get a kindle app for your smartphone as well as for Mac/Windows, and they also let you read books right in the browser. No matter where you read, highlights, notes, and "last page read" will sync across all devices.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I have a Nook touch, do most of my reading on my tablet or phone. I enjoy e ink but my eyes aren't bothered by the other devices either so being able to read in the dark and do other things with the same device > e-ink benefits.

I like the Nook products. They are solid. Especially the tablet although the nexus tablets have taken much of that thunder away since they are better in just about every way. That said, B&N has been looking to sell that portion of the business for some time. Amazon seems more than fully invested in it. Same with Google. I'm not sure what B&N future holds but its certainly not as bright.

OP if you're looking for a tablet I'd return the Nook and get a Nexus.

I already opened it so I can't return it.

As long as I can get a couple years of use out of it I'll be happy enough with it. It sounds like I can break whatever DRM crap B&N put on it anyways and put books etc on it even if things go completely sideways.

It's my first reader / tablet and it doesn't really bother me. I'm the same as you, my eyes aren't super sensitive to screens but I put it to black background with white letters either way.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
I already opened it so I can't return it.
You can definitely return the nook once it's opened:http://www.barnesandnoble.com/help/c...?pid=8121#nook

That'd otherwise be the world's worst return policy... given that you can't actually test the device without opening it.

You can get the Nexus 7 for the same price and as Kedwyn said, it's superior in every possible way. You can also read eBooks on the kindle app, so that shouldn't influence your decision.

ehh, hotel cleaning people already took the box and all that so guess I'm stuck with it. I'll just have to live with my inferiority
frown.png

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just to be clear, you bought a tablet, not a "tablet / reader". You can't really compare eink to a tablet, worlds of difference.

It doesn't sound like your an avid reader though and you wanted a media consumption device and that's understandable, but like soriak said, lots of better tablets have launched since the Nook HD.

If it gets to the point of annoyance I'll just buy an ebook only.

I already have a pile of random electronic devices I never use I suppose lol.

atm I really like being able to prop up a tablet on my chest in the hotel bed instead of having a bulky laptop. The reading is just fine for my tastes also.

Zhakrin

Trakanon Raider
Don't know why, i have always liked the Sony ereaders, I just use Calibre to load on epubs and manage whats on the device and go.

I am also a fan of buttons for page turning