Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Kiki

Log Wizard
DMGS really shines with buffs. You start doing 2k+ a shot, you just have to build for it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
I am sorta sad I over am over leveled, finally got to malenia last night decided to give it one try before bed, rivers of blood pushed her shot in during phase one with no issues, she got me in phase 2 as she surprised me but I felt like phase 1 should have been harder I hope It takes a few more tries but we will see
Heh, that sounds like my first experience with her. It was late, I was tired, and well beyond when I wanted to go to bed and, whelp, there's god damn Malenia. I have to give her one try and then I'm wrapping up the night. The first attempt was a joke. She opened with her crazy forward charge attack and I was vaporized immediately. I didn't count that nonsense, so I tried one more time. This time I bludgeoned the bejesus out of her in phase one and got her down to where I could see practically nothing left in her health bar in phase 2, then I died for want of just one more health flask. Fuck! I went to bed. I think it took me like 20 more tries to get her anywhere near that again, lol.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
DMGS really shines with buffs. You start doing 2k+ a shot, you just have to build for it.

Yep. My NG+ build is basically this. I'm staying at lvl 150 for the whole run. It's pretty fun.

I'm trying not to use summons. So far, I did end up using Tiche on Rennala because she is so magic immune, and on Radahn I got him to 30% solo, but gave in and used the event summons to help.

Oh, and also trying not to use Comet Azur much, since it's pretty cheese.

Kiki

Log Wizard
Heh, that sounds like my first experience with her. It was late, I was tired, and well beyond when I wanted to go to bed and, whelp, there's god damn Malenia. I have to give her one try and then I'm wrapping up the night. The first attempt was a joke. She opened with her crazy forward charge attack and I was vaporized immediately. I didn't count that nonsense, so I tried one more time. This time I bludgeoned the bejesus out of her in phase one and got her down to where I could see practically nothing left in her health bar in phase 2, then I died for want of just one more health flask. Fuck! I went to bed. I think it took me like 20 more tries to get her anywhere near that again, lol.

It's weird how the first fight always seems easy. Then the 2nd they start pulling out all the bullshit.

• 1Like

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Don't forget the Morne Castle area. I would broom that area and most of the Academy areas before tackling Caelid propper.
Did the whole weeping peninsula with Limgrave. Was there supposed to be anything to the giant hole in the rock at the end of Morne? And what is the Academy?

I'm currently in the south of Caelid and by the swamp. That scarlet rot is some nasty shit.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
If you are an 80 int build, its one of the hardest hitting weapons in the game, bar none. And if you talisman up to boost sorceries, especially the Godrick one that pumps charged sorcs, you are doing really hard damage with the shot. Its not the best weapon, moveset wise, but the shot is essentially a free large target nuke and it hits like a freight train in the hands of an 80 int character. Strictly in PvE I put it up there with the final sword and blasphemous.

Gotcha. I'm only at 60 int, so maybe that's why it's not as powerful for me. I have plenty of larva tears in my inventory, so maybe I'll reroll and put more into int and give it another go. I could also just level up more, but I'm at the end of the game and kind of burned out on rune farming. I'd love to play this game using the co-op mod if anyone is looking to try to play the game again (or for the first time).

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
If you have the cannon spell, the birdfarm is twice as fast if you just mortor the little goobers down the hill a couple times and reset. But yeah, I basically stopped rune farming myself. A good way to kill two birds with one stone is to backtrace stuff you missed or passed on in the snow areas or Haligtree, though, assuming you are that far along. If you are sitting around 60 INT and your faith his also up there, Blasphemous is probably the direction you want to go with then. Night and Flame also never stops being good, but its lack of short range and stagger make it less than the top option against some later mobs and bosses.

• 2Like

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I have most of the spells in the game. Honestly, I'm not super impressed with any of the faith incantation spells. Dragon fire, Dragon ice, the healing spells. They all seem pretty meh when compared to the magic spells. I have like 55 faith, so I may reroll and put more into int, and less into faith. I thought having some of the healing spells for my ashes would be awesome, but the healing is so minimal, it's not even worth it. Haven't found any other faith spells that have really impressed me, either. The only thing faith based that I like is the Codex Sword, and some of the resistance incantations.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I have most of the spells in the game. Honestly, I'm not super impressed with any of the faith incantation spells. Dragon fire, Dragon ice, the healing spells. They all seem pretty meh when compared to the magic spells. I have like 55 faith, so I may reroll and put more into int, and less into faith. I thought having some of the healing spells for my ashes would be awesome, but the healing is so minimal, it's not even worth it. Haven't found any other faith spells that have really impressed me, either. The only thing faith based that I like is the Codex Sword, and some of the resistance incantations.

Did a dragon build run and it can be pretty damn powerful with high arcane and the dragon seal.

The timing takes getting used to, but the range is a lot farther than it looks and nothing's dodging an aoe that big.

Can take out half a boss's health with one fully charged breath and it trivialized godskin duo since the aoe would hit them while their attacks were blocked by the pillars and the full breaths would hit both of them.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The run I did was nice with fire spells.

Black Fire then Giantflame once you get it was great for bossing(slower cast than magic stuff and no spammable option, but can be charged for 15% dmg with godfrey icon and does more dmg per hit anyway, Giantflame also knocks down shit so some bosses get ragdolled like you can stunlock Malenia phase 1 with good RNG if she gets close to a wall) 3-4k hits depending on charge and resists.

Dragon fire for big aoe/burst(used dragon seal too early since you get it early it scales nicely), until you get Flame fall upon them with giant seal to replace it. Which is also decent for single target cause a single enemy can get hit by multiple, about 2k dmg with endgame setup, basically your spam spell for dungeons and stuff since it's also low FP and can kill multiple things at once/often hit stuff that tries to dodge out of the way since it spreads.

Catch Flame was great early game too especially on fights with enemies that hound you so you can't cast as easily, but with ashes it's not a concern usually, was instrumental to kill Tiche for example but could have blasted her with giant spells if I waited. Lightning spear also shits on enemies that dodge projectiles like invaders, since they never dodge it if you don't charge it, so you can just spam until out of stamina, run around, then keep spamming, and it staggers them constantly so it's more or less just spam until they die kind of.

There were some other spells I checked but I mostly used these as they worked well on a lot of stuff.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Swapped over to sword of night and flame. Lot of fun, but holy shit the FP cost. Lol. I’m trying some of the rancor spells.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Since my NG+ run was boring as fuck I restarted a fresh run as my last run, and I'm doing a dagger run so it comes full circle. To make it not too easy though I'm not using ashes/summons and I'm also sticking to areas "in order" so I don't go upgrading weaps to 24/9 before I even start playing at all. I'm still running around collecting stuff out of order, but only within the zones(so I did limgrave/peninsula collection then killed the boss, then went to Liurna, collected stuff, killed the boss and now in Atlus plateau, didn't collect any of the stuff in Callid/Gemlir/Leyndel yet as a result). It's going alright, the start was rough even with knowledge of stuff, daggers are really fucking ass to begin with.

Now it's stronger though, at least against stuff that can be hit with status, using arcane build with Reduvia + Great Knife(started bandit so I didn't have to grind a weap), originally Bloody Slash on it for more bleeding but atm using cold for double procs instead. Sadly it means it doesn't scale with arcane atm but the frost proc is pretty useful. Will switch to Occult+grease later on, but somewhat longterm thing, I need to clear atlus first, then need to do callid and only then can I got get the black whetblade for occult scaling(could go Gelmir earlier instead but there's a bunch of stuff I want in callid like bloodhound step and flame grant me strength).

• 2Like

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The buffs are actually really good, once you get to the higher ones. Frenzied Flame spells are very strong, though not comparable to sorceries. The two biggest issues with Incantations is that they often require specific seals to shine and several of them require a secondary stat to be decent to be powerful (or even use) as well. Having said that, if you are a Dex Faith build with access to the better Lightning Spells, you are going to really tear shit up. It will never compare to the damage of top end Sorceries, but it really should not considering Incantations come with numerous utility, heal, and buff options that Sorceries completely lack. Lords Heal and Erd Tree Heal are rock solid healing options if you coop or use ashes frequently. Protection of the Erd Tree stacks with all the individual resistance spells and the Lightning Body spell (except for the last bosses) is an amazing combat utility spell that provides many benefits. Blasphemous Blade goes from top tier weapon to undisputed best when paired with high Faith as well.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The FP on crit item is good if you are clearing caves where you know you can land a lot of backstabs or are a stud with the buckler. Otherwise, not so much. I am a pretty big fan of the turtle charm as having any amount of passive stamina regen boost can save your ass with a last second roll.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Since my NG+ run was boring as fuck I restarted a fresh run as my last run, and I'm doing a dagger run so it comes full circle. To make it not too easy though I'm not using ashes/summons and I'm also sticking to areas "in order" so I don't go upgrading weaps to 24/9 before I even start playing at all. I'm still running around collecting stuff out of order, but only within the zones(so I did limgrave/peninsula collection then killed the boss, then went to Liurna, collected stuff, killed the boss and now in Atlus plateau, didn't collect any of the stuff in Callid/Gemlir/Leyndel yet as a result). It's going alright, the start was rough even with knowledge of stuff, daggers are really fucking ass to begin with.

Now it's stronger though, at least against stuff that can be hit with status, using arcane build with Reduvia + Great Knife(started bandit so I didn't have to grind a weap), originally Bloody Slash on it for more bleeding but atm using cold for double procs instead. Sadly it means it doesn't scale with arcane atm but the frost proc is pretty useful. Will switch to Occult+grease later on, but somewhat longterm thing, I need to clear atlus first, then need to do callid and only then can I got get the black whetblade for occult scaling(could go Gelmir earlier instead but there's a bunch of stuff I want in callid like bloodhound step and flame grant me strength).

Yeah, my PS5 NG+ run is also boring AF and I keep wanting to get back to the PS4 Samurai run instead just to have things be a challenge again / feel like there's a reason to explore.

All I have left are like two trophies and I'll get those pretty soon and finish off NG+. Then it's onward to platinuming the PS4 version with bleed and frost Uchis.

All of this ER has made me want to replay Demon's Souls Remastered so I think I'll do that after all this. Already platinumed it (on both PS3 and PS5) but whatever, I think I'll be able to appreciate it even more now.