Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Her waterfowl move wouldn't be as much bullshit if the game didn't have such a ridiculously long ability queue.

So many times where she starts it and I already know my guy's locked into 2 more swings and I'm as good as dead.

I'm struggling to beat her on my Sorcery build whereas she was an afterthought on my Faith one. Combination of range and slow cast times just leaving me wide open for Waterfowl.

KDow

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm struggling to beat her on my Sorcery build whereas she was an afterthought on my Faith one. Combination of range and slow cast times just leaving me wide open for Waterfowl.
I pretty much just relied on Night Comet

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jais

Trakanon Raider
Update: Level 30 and beat my first boss, Cemetery Shade. To be fair, my wolf bros did the bulk of the work.

Edit: Erdtree Avatar down now.

Last edited:
  • 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah only one of those is kind of easy, the rest are pretty buff particularly the Caelid ones. If you can pull that off, then you are probably ready to try Marghit and/or the Tree Guardian knight guy at the start of the game. Depending on your build, the Night Watch guy might be doable on that early bridge. And you can definitely smoke that first dragon.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Hope they do more with the covenants and changes to characters appearance based on choices in game.

The red eyes from finishing the Varré quest, change to eyes from the frenzied flame are all super good.

Ranking up in a covenant from pvp wins, ah, wouldnt it be nice. I loved DS2's aura based on win/loss system.

Maybe a nice deathblight/wormface covenant.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Hope they do more with the covenants and changes to characters appearance based on choices in game.

The red eyes from finishing the Varré quest, change to eyes from the frenzied flame are all super good.

Ranking up in a covenant from pvp wins, ah, wouldnt it be nice. I loved DS2's aura based on win/loss system.

Maybe a nice deathblight/wormface covenant.
Man, what are you talking about? I haven't finished the game yet so I literally have no idea what that might be, but it sounds pretty neat.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Oh if you do certain questlines they will change your character's eyes and shit

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Oh if you do certain questlines they will change your character's eyes and shit
I had no idea that happens. Pretty cool.

Such an amazing game with those small details. Really is probably the best thing I've played in the past decade.

Really want to fire up a new game with the multiplayer mod with some buddies. I'm sure it would be a blast.

Edit: sorry was adding to my thoughts, I'm enjoying a few gin and tonics

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Immersion is the secret ingredient. Cool little extras go such a long way.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Immersion is the secret ingredient. Cool little extras go such a long way.
You're 100% correct. It really is probablyl the most amazing game I played in eons maybe since the Mass effect trilogy. Those are the last games that really just kind of blew me away, despite the fact the last ones ending was lackluster, but I still love them.

If I ever get a free chance I'd be happy to fire the game up and make a new character and go and die horribly with some of you assholes.

• 3Like

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Minimalist UI helps so much for immersion. Almost sounding like Chris and FF14, but comparing this and BOTW vs Horizon? I can’t remember if which open world game pissed me off with blinking map shit and constant go here to cause me to drop the genre for a bit.

• 3Like

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This is actually one of the worst steps back in the series. DS3 (and of course Twitchborne) did some input reading, but nothing on the level of Elden Ring. If you want a perfect example, go up in that fort in Caelid with the lion critter in the courtyard and just fire off fucking arrows in any direction. The critter literally jumps when the arrow is released. I know that guy is trying to be all technical, but seriously the AI reacting to animation cues that a human player cannot even see is the very definition of input reading. Its irrelevant if its using a startup frame of an animation vs actual button presses, the result is exactly the same. Add in the amount of feints and move cancels they let the more hyper aggressive mobs do and its basically rendering every fight a RNG twitch fest (something I hated about Bloodborne).

And sadly, I think its here to stay because I don't think even smart devs like From know how to make a better AI beyond input reading, feint spam, and turning the aggression knobs up to 11. Look at the enemies people bitch about the most and they all have the same things in common: Crazy aggression, massive amounts of instant punish attacks with no startup and huge hit boxes, ridiculous poise, and lots of stun/stagger/knockback. The fucking Runebears, Crucible Knights, Grafted, and every god damn gargoyle are all like this. So people just avoid them and only fight them when they have to. Its just frustration with no good payoff.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
This is actually one of the worst steps back in the series. DS3 (and of course Twitchborne) did some input reading, but nothing on the level of Elden Ring. If you want a perfect example, go up in that fort in Caelid with the lion critter in the courtyard and just fire off fucking arrows in any direction. The critter literally jumps when the arrow is released. I know that guy is trying to be all technical, but seriously the AI reacting to animation cues that a human player cannot even see is the very definition of input reading. Its irrelevant if its using a startup frame of an animation vs actual button presses, the result is exactly the same. Add in the amount of feints and move cancels they let the more hyper aggressive mobs do and its basically rendering every fight a RNG twitch fest (something I hated about Bloodborne).

And sadly, I think its here to stay because I don't think even smart devs like From know how to make a better AI beyond input reading, feint spam, and turning the aggression knobs up to 11. Look at the enemies people bitch about the most and they all have the same things in common: Crazy aggression, massive amounts of instant punish attacks with no startup and huge hit boxes, ridiculous poise, and lots of stun/stagger/knockback. The fucking Runebears, Crucible Knights, Grafted, and every god damn gargoyle are all like this. So people just avoid them and only fight them when they have to. Its just frustration with no good payoff.
This is partly why I plan to play the older From games over the next year. I’ve been told theres some BS in elden ring compared to the rest.