Emma Sulkowicz (mattress girl) releases sex tape as art project

If it honestly occurred that way, then it would be rape. If she clearly said "No, stop" during any point of the contact, and the guy kept going, he raped her. You can revoke consent at any point in time. Happens all the time in the BDSM community when the sub says "Red" the Dom has to stop, or it is a HUGE issue. If you're in a vanilla relationship/encounter, Stop/No = Red/Safety Word.

How is this difficult to grasp?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I don't think anyone here has a problem grasping that, too bad that's not remotely what occurred though.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
If it honestly occurred that way, then it would be rape. If she clearly said "No, stop" during any point of the contact, and the guy kept going, he raped her. You can revoke consent at any point in time. Happens all the time in the BDSM community when the sub says "Red" the Dom has to stop, or it is a HUGE issue. If you're in a vanilla relationship/encounter, Stop/No = Red/Safety Word.

If you continually text the person after the alleged rape talking about how you can't wait to have sex again, you weren't raped. How is this difficult to grasp?

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor

Yet that whole video was consensual, yes? It wasconsensualdespitethe fact that she said "no, stop". The actor in that video did not rape her, you'd agree to that, right? Even though by your standards, he technically did. Right?

I'm not trying to be pedantic, I'm illustrating that "no, stop" isn't revoking consent all the time. Outside of the BDSM community, there are womenandmen who partake in this kind of sex but don't set up safe words--are they being idiots by the standards of the BDSM communities?Probably. But regardless, there are plenty of instances where it can look like rape, but be consensual. And there is no discussion outside of some indirect social communication.

This is why context matters so much. And since most people, women AND men don't discuss sex like people who are more experienced with kink play (Like the BDSM) community--most couples are left to feel out preferences using all kinds of indirect communication. What this video doesn't show is that this couple had multiple sexual encounters before this, with rough sex (Notice the request for slaps at 3), in other words, this act didn't happen out of the blue, there was an obvious build up to it and even a request that it happen (Literally an email communication for ass fucking). It also doesn't show that AFTER this encounter, this woman continued praising the guy at how amazing the sexual experience was and how she can't wait to see him again.

Now, for those in the vanilla community, who don't have the open communication about sex. If you have a relationship where rougher and rougher treatment is asked for--and AFTER those encounters you always get praise? It creates these situations. It's grossly unfair to just blame the "dominant" party here for not communicating better. If you're a chick and asking to be slapped around and "taken" and then afterwords, you're telling the guy you came like a fire hydrant last night, because it was awesome? YOU are partly responsible for the continued rough sex, even if you secretly aren't enjoying it.

But yes, everyone in the world would probably benefit from being able to talk about sex more. In cases like this, where there was pretty obviously some rough kink going on? There should have been a discussion, rather than simply relying on normal social cues for direction. Yes, in most cases if a girl says "no, stop"--you should stop (And Idon'tthink most guys would continue, shit most men I know stop even if the girl screams too loud--they are scared of hurting her.)...But context can radically change that..it's just how it is. Unfortunately in vanilla relationships, that context is often done through very indirect and obtuse communication. And frankly, that is BOTH parties faults. It's not victim blaming to tell a woman she probably shouldn't request more anal if she did not enjoy the last round; there is a point where you need to account for your actions outside of sex too. (Which is one thing, so I'm told, the BDSM community does really well in terms of setting up safe words and rules. More sexual encouners should probably be like that, honestly--but the fact is, not all are.)

This is why it's difficult to grasp. As I said, what you saw on that video what consensual...Even though you just said "no,stop" should be rape. It illustrates how much context matters.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Sulkowicz insisted this performance piece is not a companion piece to Carry That Weight. "They're two separate performance art pieces," Sulkowicz says, "but I'm trying to make them both as good as I can. And I think that with performance art, that's part of what makes it good.making yourself vulnerable. But they are completely different pieces."

Sulkowicz warns viewers in the accompanying text: "If you watch this video without my consent, then I hope you reflect on your reasons for objectifying me and participating in my rape, for, in that case, you were the one who couldn't resist the urge to make Ceci N'est Pas Un Viol about what you wanted to make it about: rape."
that's one of her interviews

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Yeah I read that too, lanx. I love the "If you watch the video of me fucking a guy I explicitly made for the purpose of uploading it to the internet, then you raped me, shitlords!"

She's a douche.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Seriously bros, that guy is much braver than me. I wouldn't even have a conversation with this girl, much less fucking faux rape her on video.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Is this her equivalent of the OJ "If I did it" book? Like "If I did buttplay then he didn't call back so I claimed rape and it was way more successful than I ever imagined"? Title not as catchy.

Oatlord_sl

shitlord
Whew, man...glad I'm old and settled. The world sounds like it's fucking crazy for the 20 somethings now.

Although we had crazy and stupid chicks when I was growing up. It's just no one gave them awards and media attention for their craziness.

Either way, think I'll go mow my grass and be happy.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Correct me if I'm wrong. She's reinacting her own rape? Sounds like she has a fetish.