Emulation - Retroarch?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I bought a Shield TV Pro 2019 for my new TV (that still hasn't gotten here because Amazon keeps losing it.)

My plan is to setup RetroArch on the Shield TV, unless someone has a better idea?

Where is the best place to get all the stuff I need to get Retroarch running? Do I need roms and ISOs or do I also need system images and things like that?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
RetroArch is just a frontend/GUI/organizer. You still need separate emulators for whatever consoles you want to actually run, then roms to play in them, etc.

BIOS/system images are only needed if you want to emulate PS/Dreamcast kind of stuff, anything older than that hasn't changed much and you can pretty much just grab a torrent of the entire snes/genesis libraries from where ever.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
By far the best source for all this crap is Gazelle Games where you can get the entire libraries neatly packaged up and ROMs for everything up through PS4 and detailed instructions on what to do with it and what versions work with what and all the rollback crap that you need with MAME.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Is there an easy way to make Retroarch more TV-friendly? Lots of menus to navigate with just a controller.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Retro pi is my preference. Retro arch works but it’s kind of a lame UI/experience. I have it on my handheld shield but rarely use it anymore. Retro pi is just awesome.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Retro pi is my preference. Retro arch works but it’s kind of a lame UI/experience. I have it on my handheld shield but rarely use it anymore. Retro pi is just awesome.
Isn't a Raspberry Pi a little limited in what it can run?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Isn't a Raspberry Pi a little limited in what it can run?

Depends what you mean by that. I’m running arcade and every system up to and including ps1. Beyond that I’m not sure, but I do believe it can run ps2. I’ve never attempted it though.

Did some searching and it’s even better now apparently. I’m on a pi 3.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Depends what you mean by that. I’m running arcade and every system up to and including ps1. Beyond that I’m not sure, but I do believe it can run ps2. I’ve never attempted it though.

Did some searching and it’s even better now apparently. I’m on a pi 3.

The pi definitely can’t run PS2. PS2 is extremely hard to emulate due to the weird ass processor designs. The 4 can run Dreamcast though.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The pi definitely can’t run PS2. PS2 is extremely hard to emulate due to the weird ass processor designs. The 4 can run Dreamcast though.

Gotcha. Some of the games I was reading about I thought were ps2 but turns out they were psp games. My bad.

Retropie is still the best emulation software I’ve used personally. I have a version that when you are selecting games it has the box art, description, ratings, and full motion gameplay snippets before you select it. It’s fantastic.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
By far the best source for all this crap is Gazelle Games where you can get the entire libraries neatly packaged up and ROMs for everything up through PS4 and detailed instructions on what to do with it and what versions work with what and all the rollback crap that you need with MAME.

So how do I get into Gazelle Games?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Has anyone ever gotten the Steam version of Retroarch to actually work?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I bought a Shield TV Pro 2019 for my new TV (that still hasn't gotten here because Amazon keeps losing it.)

My plan is to setup RetroArch on the Shield TV, unless someone has a better idea?

Where is the best place to get all the stuff I need to get Retroarch running? Do I need roms and ISOs or do I also need system images and things like that?

When I bought an LG C1, I was supposed to get a $200 bluetooth speaker set for free. Which happens to be something I kinda need for a new apartment. Well, FedEx lost it along the way or something, but never admitted to it because in their records it was delivered. So I contact LG about it and they tell me "Best Buy is responsible for it" because I bought the TV at Best Buy. That makes no sense, and sure enough when I called Best Buy they said they had nothing to do with any LG TV purchase bonus, that's all LG. I basically gave up on the whole thing, maybe I should try pursuing it again (doubt they'll send another one especially months later but whatever).

I have Retroarch on a modded Playstation Classic and it plays PS1/GBA/SNES/NES/Genesis/TG16/Master System, probably something else I'm forgetting. Also on a modded Wii that emulates everything above except PS1. I find the Wii runs older things more smoothly while the PSC is obviously the only choice for PS1 games. Everything seems to work on it except Parasite Eve 2.

What I really want is a solid arcade emulator that works on the TV.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Screenshot_20220104-041900_Citra.jpg

Doing Citra emulation on phone since Square refuses to release the phone version of DQ7 outside of Japan for some reason.

Obviously this kind of pales in comparison to the actual phone versions of the previous 6 games, since the game image only takes up two-thirds of the screen (and really it's only the top third for the actual game visuals since this is emulating 3DS). Also the sound is choppy. Anyone have experience getting Citra to work well on a phone, i.e. the image taking up the whole screen and sound working smoothly?

I wonder if it'd look better if I could switch it to Landscape mode. Not sure if that's an option, gonna check later.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Last weekend started looking in to this for my Shield Pro, is the core switching thing something unique to the Shield implementation? I don't remember on PC having to do any of that. Was also trying to see if there was a resource for an ISO or image that as floating around that already included any of the extra stuff and setup. Got sidetracked with New Years stuff so may go back to looking this week.

*edit: After Hateyou Hateyou 's post below I forgot it was RetroPi I was using not RetroArch which explains the differences and my confusion.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
When I bought an LG C1, I was supposed to get a $200 bluetooth speaker set for free. Which happens to be something I kinda need for a new apartment. Well, FedEx lost it along the way or something, but never admitted to it because in their records it was delivered. So I contact LG about it and they tell me "Best Buy is responsible for it" because I bought the TV at Best Buy. That makes no sense, and sure enough when I called Best Buy they said they had nothing to do with any LG TV purchase bonus, that's all LG. I basically gave up on the whole thing, maybe I should try pursuing it again (doubt they'll send another one especially months later but whatever).

I have Retroarch on a modded Playstation Classic and it plays PS1/GBA/SNES/NES/Genesis/TG16/Master System, probably something else I'm forgetting. Also on a modded Wii that emulates everything above except PS1. I find the Wii runs older things more smoothly while the PSC is obviously the only choice for PS1 games. Everything seems to work on it except Parasite Eve 2.

What I really want is a solid arcade emulator that works on the TV.
You want a retro pi. It’s a solid emulator for a ton of systems and cheap.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user