EQ TLP 2024 Teek (Random loot) & Tormax (Traditional) #neckbeardnostalgia

Elaida

Trakanon Raider
I do miss the leaderboards.

I think I'm in the minority here but don't care for the randomness of mischief. It also gives incentive to flat out skip content. Someone else here posted adding an additional randomized loot. That sounds like the golden ticket to me.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Random loot's biggest incentive, to me at least, was allowing for other camps to be viable. Second loot roll being random does seem ideal as it still allows targeted camping, but still allows you to camp somewhere traditionally low value and be rewarded.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
IMO TSS is the latest they should launch a TLP. Ability bloat isn't too terrible that people shouldn't be overwhelmed if they never played that late. There's a leveling path from 1-75 that people may not have experienced, or not for many years.

Yeah. On a different year that's more experimental, I'd like to see:

-A TSS start free trade no boxing restriction server
-An Agnarr clone that starts in classic and ends in OoW, call it the Mata Muram server

Probably wouldn't be much overlap in who these draw in. Would also like to see a:

-Kerafyrm event server that runs 3-4 months and starts in PoR, opens TSS/TBS at 6 weeks, opens SoF 6 weeks after that. First to beat Kerafyrm wins.

Those are just wacky ideas though. This year I'm hoping to see Mischief 2.0 with Selo unlocks.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Just got off the phone with JChan, below are the server rules
  • Free-trade
  • Semi-random loot, each rare has a 50% chance to drop their normal loot table or a random one
  • Global spawn rate is doubled
  • AA and level increases will be delayed for 3 weeks after a new expansion is released
  • Recommended / required levels are dropped by 10 levels.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
  • Free-trade
  • Semi-random loot, each rare has a 50% chance to drop their normal loot table or a random one
  • AA and level increases will be delayed for 3 weeks after a new expansion is released

Wish you were serious.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I don’t think people are prepared for what a Free Trade server looks like with the current state of MQ and fixed FTE. Raid mob spawns, and one person can just tag and leash it from the zone line with far taunt and then the mob is locked for 10-15 minutes?

Griefing potential is off the charts and with free trade rules there will be a lot of guys who view anyone going for these mobs as an obstacle to their tendies fund.

• 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I don’t think people are prepared for what a Free Trade server looks like with the current state of MQ and fixed FTE. Raid mob spawns, and one person can just tag and leash it from the zone line with far taunt and then the mob is locked for 10-15 minutes?

Griefing potential is off the charts and with free trade rules there will be a lot of guys who view anyone going for these mobs as an obstacle to their tendies fund.
As someone who dislikes FTE as a concept and views it as a bandaid for the core problem that the content is too easy and slow to respawn, good. I hope a server with actual contention stresses the idea.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
There was a window from Classic to Kunark where a little meta popped up involving buff blocking and aggro clicks to break locks but the server was never really sweaty enough for that to be more than a novelty. In it's current form I don't think you can break a lock at all as a long as a single person on the original aggro list is alive. The global unlock timer is (I think) ten minutes. That can be semi relevant in race situations but probably not. I continue to be concerned that a whole bunch of people are going to sign up for Mischief 2 Electric Boogaloo not realizing how degenerate and cheat-filled the game became during the last TLP cycle. That nostalgia buzz is going to die a death right quick if the cheating isn't pushed back in to the shadows. You'll be sitting in Guk with your very legitimate Harry Potter eyes up and get to watch every named that pops instantly far taunted, locked and on it's way to what is obviously a boxer. Hey! He's stealing our named! Steal the mob back! DPS race him! None of that is going to do anything. People are accustomed to being able to interact with each other and mobs with minimal restrictions. With Oakwynd being the first implementation of FTE it's going to be an unpleasant surprise for a big slice of the playerbase.

One of the Yelinak bros will have to chime in but perks are also kind of an issue. If there was a stigma attached to bind rushing that shit came to an end on Oakwynd. There were dudes going from pick to pick bind rushing Magus Rokyl and if they didn't fuck it up you couldn't really interfere. Mischief loot free trade stuff is going to push that kind of behavior in to overdrive. It already was leaving a bad taste in people's mouths just on Oakwynd. Death used to mean something and now people can throw infinite corpses at anything they can bind next to. If you're stubborn one partner is enough to do a whole lot of shit.

edit - got distracted and typed a different post than the one I meant to

For my criticisms FTE in the basic day to day EQ playing was fine. It has a couple sizeable benefits. The first is you don't have to give a fuck about a lot of shit. You pull something it's yours. It's not going to train anyone and you're not going to get a suspension for pulling like a reckless fuckhead. There can be pressure to get tags but it's better than the pressure to dps race. I don't miss dps races on random crap at all. It's hard to push someone out of an area but it's also hard to be pushed out. When people aren't cheating it's hard to really complain when someone else beat you to something.

The other thing that FTE adds is train protection. It's so much harder for someone to waste a bunch of your time with their idiocy. You can stand around in Hate watching someone receive the death they earned without any danger to yourself. Zones that were dangerous because of other people being clowns are a whole lot less dangerous. Group wipes next to your group? Who cares. The ability of someone else to fuck up your day is really low relative to what can normally happen in EQ. It really pays dividends over and over again.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
There was a window from Classic to Kunark where a little meta popped up involving buff blocking and aggro clicks to break locks but the server was never really sweaty enough for that to be more than a novelty. In it's current form I don't think you can break a lock at all as a long as a single person on the original aggro list is alive. The global unlock timer is (I think) ten minutes. That can be semi relevant in race situations but probably not. I continue to be concerned that a whole bunch of people are going to sign up for Mischief 2 Electric Boogaloo not realizing how degenerate and cheat-filled the game became during the last TLP cycle. That nostalgia buzz is going to die a death right quick if the cheating isn't pushed back in to the shadows. You'll be sitting in Guk with your very legitimate Harry Potter eyes up and get to watch every named that pops instantly far taunted, locked and on it's way to what is obviously a boxer. Hey! He's stealing our named! Steal the mob back! DPS race him! None of that is going to do anything. People are accustomed to being able to interact with each other and mobs with minimal restrictions. With Oakwynd being the first implementation of FTE it's going to be an unpleasant surprise for a big slice of the playerbase.

One of the Yelinak bros will have to chime in but perks are also kind of an issue. If there was a stigma attached to bind rushing that shit came to an end on Oakwynd. There were dudes going from pick to pick bind rushing Magus Rokyl and if they didn't fuck it up you couldn't really interfere. Mischief loot free trade stuff is going to push that kind of behavior in to overdrive. It already was leaving a bad taste in people's mouths just on Oakwynd. Death used to mean something and now people can throw infinite corpses at anything they can bind next to. If you're stubborn one partner is enough to do a whole lot of shit.
Yeah the no-exp on death perk should be removed. It's an outsized benefit for a degenerate gameplay mode.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Yeah the no-exp on death perk should be removed. It's an outsized benefit for a degenerate gameplay mode.

For my bitching about it I wouldn't remove it. Fuck exp loss death touch bullshit and people needing to go grind exp after raiding Sky. Not everybody though. Just the people whose job it is to die. All the melee always being able to ranger gate provided there's a puddle to drown in or a guard to jump is A-OK with me. It saves you so much fucking time.

The issue is that after you respawn after one server tick you regain 20% of your mana. You actually scale bind rushing with gear. Resists, AC, HP and mana are all a massive help. The easy fix is to just not respawn with mana at all if you tripped a flag or two. Something basic like no mana back if you didn't lose at least X% exp or if this is your second death in less than a minute.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
  • Free-trade

Sounds like a pretty good fusion of Mischief and Vaniki, I like this idea.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
On Oakwynd it seems like the big boxers mostly stayed in their DZs and didn't try to contest OW unless it was up for a while. Not sure how it went after the plat dupe era though since everyone stopped playing.

On a random loot server, do you really still just sit in guk? I'd imagine the boxers have different places they can go and keep their heads down.

Fortunately, there are still ways to create grey locked immortal trains. Just make sure you roll on a fresh account and make good friends with aplus.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Whatever the server is, Im not having three fucking computers going again. So if they really want the player base like me coming back, they need to get that true box shit to the curb. A lot damn simpler to just to control my muppets when I have all their skills and spells on one screen. I mean if it was actually just one character per person, I wouldnt mind that either. But we all know thats not the case and Im itching to try some other classes this time around if the ruleset is beast mode. Knowing Zaide Zaide , though, he'll invite people like Cassi and have my ass logging into the game at 3 in the fucking morning to clear TOV.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Weird Boner

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Fippyfest was announced. $1,499 for a ticket in-person.

I mathed it out. To stay in San Diego near the event, I would have to pay $1499 + tax on the event, between $150 -> $250 for a night in a hotel, and a flight costing $200 and $400 for a round trip. That's not counting luggage or transportation costs, either! An Uber both ways from the hotel will likely cost between $40 and $60 each way, or a car rental about the same. So, in total, I'd have to pay close to one month's rent in a 1bd apartment in San Diego, where they're headquartered just to attend the event.

Entry level Darkpaw employees could not afford to attend your own event without the help of another person working at Darkpaw Games at entry level, and even then, they would have to have advance knowledge of the event and save up 6 months.

Frankly, I find that insulting to the people employed at Darkpaw only get to attend this event because they're part of the company, and if they had worked at any other company in industry and were a fan of EverQuest (like myself), or work any job that totals 25 USD or under an hour, they would not be able to, as it is prohibitively expensive on even 5 months notice for people in that income bracket in the current economy.

The pricing on in-person is kind of an insult to anyone who is a fan of the game, personally - MMOs are played because they're approachable, cost-effective social experiences. $1,499 is, on average, not an approachable amount of money for anyone playing this game coupled with flight and ticket costs.

Yes, there's the meme about people breaking the terms of service for profit via RMT that might be able to afford a $1,499 ticket. But personally, I don't want those people representing the game.

SOE Live is the ticket price they should be aiming for. It was a decade ago, so adjust for inflation. $40 for a day pass, and $140 for an all-access pass for every day of the event. I would have paid $250 for an 'all access equivalent' in today's market. This is also what I paid for going to PAX East, which is a much bigger event.

This is one of the biggest periods of global inflation, coupled with two international geopolitical conflicts. Only the ultra rich can afford this, and I get that Darkpaw wanted it to be a smaller event, but if you were to ask anyone actually working at Darkpaw Games to attend the event, they would not be able to on their current salaries, based on current salary offerings listed on the career page. Only leadership and production would be able to.

It would have been more appropriate for Darkpaw to just allow press to the event for free, and sell $250 digital tickets. Then, later this year or next, plan on going to Vegas and opening up general admission, not 'luxury' tickets costing $1,499.

I encourage folks to not attend unless they're a member of the press. Chances are press (The EQ Show, MassivelyOP, etc) has already been invited and do not have to spend that amount. The digital tickets are whatever; the valuation of those are functionally irrelevant as they are intended to provide digital goods and a peek at the event. They're effectively glorified microtransactions. But taking advantage of your core fans isn't acceptable.

• 1Mother of God

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
They don't want you or anyone to attend. DBG is afraid of and hates its own audience. They only want pay pig suckers to show up or no one at all.

• 3Like

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I simply don't get why they even publicized something so ridiculous. I don't even want to hear their justification or why this would be a consideration. Now, if you pay something and get a lifetime sub, all the vinyls, some Keith Parkinson prints, and the next expansion (collector's edition) I may see something a little crazy as like an ultimate fan package but even then, its just stupid.

This fanbase has been extremely loyal and the game should be celebrated as should its people (both employees and players) so to demean the anniversary and Fan Faire in this way is just sad. It deserves better... even if it's a price out scheme.

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
They eluded to a fan fair what we got was a 1500 meet and greet. I think it's cheaper to meet Taylor swift.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Reminds me of

1709247133225.png

1000 dollars MSRP for four 15 card booster packs of non-tournament legal cards

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Whales love to be harpooned so I almost can't blame them for hitting such easy targets.

It doesn't foster community goodwill, though.

• 1Like