EQ TLP - Oakwynd (Evolving Ruleset Progression Server)

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
He actually has a book written about being an incel and he also touts being former military but he didn't even make it out of boot camp; not to mention his LEO fetishization. He got in some trouble for disproportionately punishing women in the discord chat at one point and JChan had to step in and rescind a ban. Surprised it took this long, to be honest.
I literally don't know what the role is for the CMs in DPG. As far as I can tell their scope is to put out tone-deaf messages once a month, post patch notes and blithely respond to reports. Maybe they're active in a lot of games but it feels like about ~4 hours of work a week.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I literally don't know what the role is for the CMs in DPG. As far as I can tell their scope is to put out tone-deaf messages once a month, post patch notes and blithely respond to reports. Maybe they're active in a lot of games but it feels like about ~4 hours of work a week.
If you go on the EQ discord, all they do is post animal pictures, memes and chat with other devs about dumb shit. Sounds like the easiest job besides Walmart Greeter.

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
It’s a tough situation that belies the attitude of the broader staff and team. Not enough work, but they really don’t want to do it themselves so they “fill the role”.

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
If you go on the EQ discord, all they do is post animal pictures, memes and chat with other devs about dumb shit. Sounds like the easiest job besides Walmart Greeter.

dreamweaver kicked me out of eq discord a few years ago for accidentally cursing too many times

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
dreamweaver kicked me out of eq discord a few years ago for accidentally cursing too many times
He didn't directly. It was their stupid bot. Of course it's a California company so they had trigger as one of the banned words. I was banned for a while and seven of my 10 strikes were because of using the word trigger for game related stuff (over a course of two years). The fact that they didn't just give you a cooldown but actually outright banned you when the bot was that bad was always historically dumb. And none of the strikes had any expirations so for a lot of people it was just a matter of time before they got hit.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
What's even more dumb is they had two of them for close to two years. The Angelina person is almost as bad. They do serve across various games but it's not like that's much work either.

As someone else mentioned, they spend way more time just talking about non-game stuff in discord then anything else (at least what's publicly visible).

Animosity

Their bot is awful. You cant even say childish words like poop or idiot without getting a warning.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The annoying thing is that EQ is ripe for a huge overall in their guide system, which should be the purview of a community manager. I don't think they have any interest in that though.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
He actually has a book written about being an incel and he also touts being former military but he didn't even make it out of boot camp; not to mention his LEO fetishization. He got in some trouble for disproportionately punishing women in the discord chat at one point and JChan had to step in and rescind a ban. Surprised it took this long, to be honest.
The guy was following Louder with Crowder on his Twitter. I'm surprised he made it past the screening.

What's even more dumb is they had two of them for close to two years. The Angelina person is almost as bad. They do serve across various games but it's not like that's much work either.

As someone else mentioned, they spend way more time just talking about non-game stuff in discord then anything else (at least what's publicly visible).
I've worked with a number of them in industry. Good, engaging ones are rare. But they're also disproportionately underpaid (~20k to 30k a year generally) for the job they're doing.
They can range from glorified hall monitor and news poster to working with design to make an entire balance revamp.

A really bad one we had a few years ago at a company I used to work for used to just post generic "It's Monday! What's your favorite <x>?" posts on Social media, didn't understand the concept of Discord or IRC, and simply just scheduled out new posts to be automatically posted every week on hootsuite and we'd basically have to beg him to post patch notes or updates, let alone actually engage on the forums.

I think a lot of people are just simply afraid in those roles, and I kind of understand why - often times developers will limit the content they can post, so the job becomes fairly reductive and you get a lot of contradictory information.

A good CM will ask if they can post something, and if they can't, ask for the approved wording to send out. A great CM will gather feedback bidirectionally and provide that to the production team.

We had one that basically worked on her spare time to effectively rebalance the game by just taking the community feedback directly and she made the changes wholesale herself once I provided her the method of doing so in a spreadsheet.

I've also seen a CM that asked CSRs and moderators to ban half the forums for posting 'image macros', and I had to ask the producer what the fuck we were doing and unban them all.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

kinadin

<Gold Donor>
I've never seen a community manager that didn't deserve to be shoved into a locker.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Does taunt not work? like can't any random warrior just walk up taunt and now the mob is hitting him, so the encounter breaks?
1. You cannot do anything at all to the mob that is not encounter locked to you. The name is grey and attempting to attack it or cast on it gives you a red "your target is in an encounter you're not a part of".
There are other ways to get on top of aggro that do not require you to hit the mob. Again, this helps people who know the EQ aggro mechanics more than it helps the average player.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I like Angeliana personally, she’s moderating the forums and discords for like every DBG game including answering 10,000 DMs from retards like us. I am sure it’s a chore. She is also the lead for running the extra life campaign.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
I like Angeliana personally, she’s moderating the forums and discords for like every DBG game including answering 10,000 DMs from retards like us. I am sure it’s a chore. She is also the lead for running the extra life campaign.
Actually, same. She's been a pleasure to talk to when I have talked to her.

Doesn't seem overly invested in any specific title but she at least is willing to do her job and convey feedback to the team(s).

Greyman

Trakanon Raider
I seem to recall Dreamweaver being fairly active and engaging in regular banter with the community, probably why they found a better job and moved on.

Meeko spends a lot of time looking at dog pics but he still managed to do a decent job with the Encounter locking, love it or hate it, I doubt it was his idea, just his job to make it happen.

Probably a good thing I didn't know about the Incel thing before he was gone, I would have gotten banned so fast for referring to him as Incellendo.

• 1Like

hory

Dzarn was the man when I was playing back during the new kunark stuff. His goal.was to make shit actually work. He also made that 4 pillars raid in veil and was responsible for the evolving tear. He tried to do different stuff.

Probably fired him because he told them how stupid FTE was.

Their loss

• 1Like

Zaide

TLP Idealist
This went up today

8ECBB4FB-F4EF-4772-9B31-A78ABB9DFE85.png

• 1Worf