EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

Definitely going to be in the Alpha. If SOE is serious about getting any kind of real feedback from players regarding world-building and design, this could be a step in the right direction for a truly "next-gen" experience.

That and I'm an immersion/locale/fluff whore, so I'm anxious to see what their tools can really do. That and what kind of community would be present.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If SOE is serious about getting any kind of real feedback from players regarding world-building and design, this could be a step in the right direction for a truly "next-gen" experience.
God I hope not. If the step in the right direction to get a "next-gen experience" from a big game developer and to get real feedback from players, is to charge $100 to play in Alpha testing, then we are doomed.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
God I hope not. If the step in the right direction to get a "next-gen experience" from a big game developer and to get real feedback from players, is to charge $100 to play in Alpha testing, then we are doomed.
Please, explain.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
For the love of god someone please explain to me why people are giving SOE $60+ to trial this shit? All your toilets are full, and you can't flush any more money down 'em?

Quaid

Trump's Staff
For the love of god someone please explain to me why people are giving SOE $60+ to trial this shit? All your toilets are full, and you can't flush any more money down 'em?
Thanks for the pep talk mom! Glad you are here to share more of your opinions that we ever so crave!

xzi

Mouthbreather
Considering it's super minecraft on steroids we kind of already know what we're getting into. It's not like we're completely blindly throwing money at them (albeit some are). If people want to pay to play a buggy game early, so fucking what? What do you even care at all?

iannis

Musty Nester
About how you spend your money to entertain yourself? I don't think anyone really does care. It's your money, it's your entertainment. Knock yourself out. But if there was any hope of EQ3 potentially, through some act of providence, being any good at all this right here crushes it.

Jackalope did this with his neverwinter mmo. It seems to be becoming a trend. Do you think you're buying your way into the inner circle? for 100 bucks? Do you think that whatever feedback you contribute is going to do anything besides feed the vanity and wallets of the men who sold you the privilege of feedbacking?

It doesn't work like that.
frown.png

But have fun paying to build art assets for SOE. I'm serious, have fun. It's probably the only fun there will ever be in EQ3.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Since 'fun' is pretty much entirely subjective, I'm sure what you just said was true. To you.

I had fun in EQ, EQ2, EQOA, and even Champions of Norrath. I expect to have fun in EQN:L if history is any indication. I genuinely like the IP, and as I suspect may have motivated some others, my curiosity and excitement for the title caused me to purchase early access.

I don't care if it is unfinished. I don't care about the 'precedent' it sets. I don't care if EQN doesn't live up to some nebulous hipsteresque ideal of a 'fun' MMORPG.

I want to play the new EverQuest game, and I want to play it as soon as possible.

Let us build Norrath together (but with dicks)

InterSlayer_sl

shitlord
Because they have a unique, ground breaking, genre shifting mmo that I would pay $60 at release for just like any other mmo, and it makes no difference to me if I pay for it now 1 year before release or 1 year later when it releases.

It's not like SOE is some unknown company that just sprang up overnight. They have a history of making and releasing MMO's. I'm sure people disagree with how the game direction heads afterwards, or want to armchair developer about how they would have done things better, but I don't expect them to disappear into the night with my money, remove anything we saw in the video previews so far, or decide not to make Everquest 3.

Caliane

you say that like SOE has a good reputation.

But in general, the same reason people bought into Terraria, Path of exile, Minecraft, gnomoria, or any of the other early access games on steam atm. not to mention other various kickstarters where you just pay up front and get nothing at all, until release.
I know I bought in to Starbound already. we dont even get alpha for that.

That 60 or 100$ price tag is awful high for early access. And as noted, its probably amusing to point out really SOE has less confidence then so many indie guys.

I'll say watching a game evolve is very entertaining in itself. AND constant patching and new additions to a game, keeps it incredibly fresh. Often moreso then a fully complete one.

Caliane

you know, this video, there is a few things that concern me.

Namely, its not enough minecraft/terraria, and entirely too much just dev tools.

Add/delete tools. AI scripting tools. They explain the game as the same tools they are using to make EQ next. well, we have seen that before. many games have build tools like that. Neverwinter, dragonage, etc. heck even Warcraft/starcraft etc.
These overly complicated campaign creating tools tend to be a bit too confusing, and involved however, and rarely take off to a massive degree.

Its ENTIRELY possible, it is simply a UI issue. I mean, clearly some of those I just mentioned DID have some crazy modding, using these dev provided tools. Dota, etc was created right in game, using these default tools.

on the other hand, buying/selling/trading of materials in a minecraft type world is very interesting.
Materials would need to be consumable I think.
I mean a problem in these games tends to be, its very easy to just get everything you need, then give stuff for free, destroying progression for others.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yes. And from what I've gathered, it has norealeffect on the game, just landscaping.
I had the impression this was an entirely different game, disconnected from EQ. Otherwise, you could definitely have an effect on the game by landscaping.

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
So to sum this up: they release clever concealed dev tools, have people pay for them and use the best generated content in their mmo? Really?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So does that money buy you the actual game too? Is it like 3years early preordering, or is it just paying to play the fucking landscape shit only? Why would you do that, it's not like it's gonna be any better than minecraft is it? Does it have combat? Just building shit? I watched a dev video and they showed various blocks and a house and shit, looked alright but if that's all there is to do there's no fucking way I'm spending anything at all for it. Wasn't landscape supposed to be free too? It's pretty fucking expensive too.

Edit: Oh I see there's another thread about it too. And it does look like it's just building. Fuck that.