Everquest - Agnarr Server: Sunset Mode

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Will SK's really be dime a dozen? Was considering rolling a tank as it seems to always be a need. Wouldn't mind a Pally or a SK. My first go at EQ was a Pally before moving to a cleric.... for the rest of my life in every game I've played since lol

No, I don't think they'll be a dime a dozen. This thread isn't a good indicator of the general population and most players don't run parsers and don't know how bad ass SKs really are.

There will probably be an average amount and more common than Rangers and Paladins, but far below classes like Mage, Monks, and Druids.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
To give an idea of what the XP will be like, I rolled up a halfing rogue for max XP benefit on ragefire the other day and at lvl 1 a yellow con gave me 12% XP, I haven't tested phinny in a while but I want to say it was 2%.

This is hardly a quality XP test but it did give an idea. You won't be leveling super fast but it's decent.

I want to say phinny has a cap on % per kill which would make power leveling an alt on ragefire considerably faster.

I really need to do more thorough testing but it gives you at least something to judge it by.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
The way I see it, playing any tank is never going to be a bad decision. With improved XP, the majority will hit max lvl and disappear from the world outside their guilds and the rest of us plebs need you to be our tank.

And adding to this point, even if a tank isn't needed you'd still be a top DPS.

With instances giving more than enough loot to go around, you really can't have too many SKs.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
To give an idea of what the XP will be like, I rolled up a halfing rogue for max XP benefit on ragefire the other day and at lvl 1 a yellow con gave me 12% XP, I haven't tested phinny in a while but I want to say it was 2%.

This is hardly a quality XP test but it did give an idea. You won't be leveling super fast but it's decent.

I want to say phinny has a cap on % per kill which would make power leveling an alt on ragefire considerably faster.

I really need to do more thorough testing but it gives you at least something to judge it by.

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but killing a few yellows/reds is much better exp than killing tons of blues.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Any particular insight on deciding between SK and Pally? Especially long term looking to endgame with PoP? That's some great info though! I really appreciate it.

One other question. I'm not quite grasping the Kronos farming. I have some max level characters hanging around on other servers. Is there an easy way to get some Kronos for a subscription? I'd also like to encourage my friends by giving them a first month incentive to get them back into it.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
No, I don't think they'll be a dime a dozen. This thread isn't a good indicator of the general population and most players don't run parsers and don't know how bad ass SKs really are.

There will probably be an average amount and more common than Rangers and Paladins, but far below classes like Mage, Monks, and Druids.

I wouldn't be too sure of that - mages and SKs both were pretty rare on the first batch of TLP - and keep ramping up in popularity each TLP generation as the "word gets out". And unlike mages, SKs didn't get any nerfs to turn people off of them.

And druids have been almost non-existent this past TLP generation from what I saw - probably the rarest class. I knew more Rogues and Paladins than Druids - besides the occasional portbox.

Korillo

Molten Core Raider

lol the perception of what the xp is like on Phinny is unreal. Go actually kill a yellow on phinny, there is no cap it's actually quite reasonable.

Ragefire is ~1.5x the xp of phinny, not 6x the xp :p.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I wouldn't be too sure of that - mages and SKs both were pretty rare on the first batch of TLP - and keep ramping up in popularity each TLP generation as the "word gets out". And unlike mages, SKs didn't get any nerfs to turn people off of them.

And druids have been almost non-existent this past TLP generation from what I saw - probably the rarest class. I knew more Rogues and Paladins than Druids - besides the occasional portbox.

I only played classic on Phinny and LJ/RF, but there were Druids everywhere and especially when the server first starts since they're not gear dependent and can powerlevel alts/guildies.

Mur

Trakanon Raider

On a level 1 Ogre SK, a single yellow was 10% (solo). Level 1 was all armadillos in Oggok, about 5 minutes. Level 2 was all white mobs, dropped to about 2.5% per kill. Level 3 most things were blue, seriously slowed down, (maybe 1% per kill?), just slaughter everything (Scarabs are always better exp for level) I looted everything, and had about 20 plat when I hit level 4. Burned it on Fletching. Archery speeds up kills immensely, most hits take 35%-50% of mobs health, I did 4th in half the time of 3rd. Keep all you Lizard Meats to hand in when you buy spells, and fire beetle eyes for grobb AC earrings. Both are free exp.

So far Ogre SK to 5 was fastest for me, followed by Troll SK, then Erudite Necro, Dwarf Pali, Wood Elf Ranger, and last Human Druid. (Troll would have been faster, but I leveled Blacksmithing to 92 so that burned time/plat). On the Troll I moved into UGuk at 6th, and could keep entrance, 1st alcove, entrance to crocs, and wanderer cleared with some effort, and zone hopping. Ranged from blue to yellow. (be easier with Ogre stun resist.) Some Banded made a big difference, AC is huge, don't ignore it.

Merchants in zone was a huge help, and a plus for Feerott, as were the copious netted drops for gold. Close to Innothule, so you have alot of potential hunting ground at low levels to absorb the crowds.

I am not a fast leveler by any means. I waste time by running to guards instead of dying pre 6th, I look for specific things to kill, I wander off to Grobb for no real reason, I craft, etc etc. A group in Feerottt/Innothule/Uguk could easily cut my leveling time to 5th by 1/3 or 1/2.

Just my 2 cents.

lost

<Bronze Donator>
I'd say group with any mages you can, lol. Even enchanter pets are beefy compared to necro ones. Most people wont have gear on the grind up so the pets will carry.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
lol the perception of what the xp is like on Phinny is unreal. Go actually kill a yellow on phinny, there is no cap it's actually quite reasonable.

Ragefire is ~1.5x the xp of phinny, not 6x the xp :p.

I even admit the test was shit but sometime today I will test phinny XP. I want to say the difference would be solo penalties?

At this point it's just conjecture but when I did the test it was just for me to gauge how fast getting out of the newbie zone was because that's where you either get crushed by the wave or surf it.

In all honesty the only way to get out ahead of everyone is having a premade group.

What I see happening is scrambling for kills to get to 4 or 5 and hit a wall where you need a ton of kills to level while also being at the zone/grouping transition. You don't want to be stuck lfg with the entire zone already camped because nobody is leaving if they get in a good camp.

Uguk and crushbone are going to be a madhouse.

This is where picking a solo class is going to shine, if you find yourself in this situation you'll need to at least keep the XP coming, somehow.

With all that said, I don't have a premade group and planned on playing a rogue lol sobad

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Be aware of just how bad that lonely rogue is. A necro pet by itself will out dps you. Mine was doing more than a ranger friend and he had runnyeye weapons. Mage pets shit on us both.

Do you like forming groups? I mean, do you actively grab people and make stuff work and not merely when desperate or pressured? Are you good at it? If not... I advise bring a group or perhaps do your melee as a 2nd char. Monks are passable (and get godly later) and rangers can tank. Rogues just get shit on. IMO toughest class to get by on without friends.

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
I even admit the test was shit but sometime today I will test phinny XP. I want to say the difference would be solo penalties?

At this point it's just conjecture but when I did the test it was just for me to gauge how fast getting out of the newbie zone was because that's where you either get crushed by the wave or surf it.

In all honesty the only way to get out ahead of everyone is having a premade group.

What I see happening is scrambling for kills to get to 4 or 5 and hit a wall where you need a ton of kills to level while also being at the zone/grouping transition. You don't want to be stuck lfg with the entire zone already camped because nobody is leaving if they get in a good camp.

Uguk and crushbone are going to be a madhouse.

This is where picking a solo class is going to shine, if you find yourself in this situation you'll need to at least keep the XP coming, somehow.

With all that said, I don't have a premade group and planned on playing a rogue lol sobad

Phinigel simply has a lower xp modifier than Ragefire/Lockjaw. There are no penalties. Experience works the same across all the current TLPs. 5 man groups earn the same xp as 6 man groups (often referred to as a "full group bonus" but in reality you just don't get penalized for adding a 6th player). They seem to have done away with xp caps.

If you want to level quickly you will need a pre-made group and you will need to get out of the starting zones asap. A lot of people will forget /pick exists, so I'd make use of those in zones where it's possible. Zones like Freeport & Gfay will be pretty bad as pickzones cannot be created for cities, so I'd probably stay away from those zones starting off.

As long as you can stay ahead of the curve, no zone you go to will be that bad as you'll have first pick of any camp you want. Even being 2nd or 3rd isn't the worst as the pickzone caps have been lowered recently, so just pay attention to the amount of people in the zone and pick over asap once a pick spawns. It's also very common when a ton of people zone in at once for 2 picks to open simultaneously. Keep an eye out for those types of situations.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
If u dorf rogue ill grp with you
Definitely going dwarf, the roll is just too good to pass up!

The only question is what my schedule will be like when the server does go live, about to start a new job and don't know whether I'll be 2-10pm or 6am-2pm.

Keep in mind with the Steam method, I'm not broadcasting any keys or anything, but being able to alt tab, and of course use the same keyboard/mouse for both boxes, is freakin' easy.

I feel the other methods are pretty damn complicated, when Steam streaming works just fine.

Thanks for the tip mate. Loved this. I don't have subscriptions active so I just tested it on F2P, but it was great.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Druids are definitely the least popular class on Phinigel at PoP expansion.

Phinny solo exp is bad, and druids have harder time getting a group than Cleric or Shaman.

In raids, because of Aego/Virtue, Druids aren't offering as much. The only time we miss having a druid in raid is if we need Seasons resist buff for whatever reason.

Sterling

El Presidente
Druids are definitely the least popular class on Phinigel at PoP expansion.

Phinny solo exp is bad, and druids have harder time getting a group than Cleric or Shaman.

In raids, because of Aego/Virtue, Druids aren't offering as much. The only time we miss having a druid in raid is if we need Seasons resist buff for whatever reason.
This is incorrect. They are low popularity, but probably at very similar numbers to Paladins, Beastlords and Necros at this point. And for the 2nd part, they offer a buff most mana classes will want over Virtue since their skin buffs offer additional stacking mana regen. Seasons is obvious, they also offer a group HoT which can be MGB much like clerics and beastlords, and they also offer unique debuffs not available from other classes.