Everquest - Agnarr Server: Sunset Mode

rad

Lord of Guk
Troll inny belt is BIS till Velious assuming you don't snatch a BCG. Cannot recall what I replaced it with in Velious, would need to look, might be the Dain belt.

As much as my feelings mirror yours and Korrupts, I would highly recommend bidding on what you want. I passed on many things through velious that would have been nice to have only to see those toons who did win sell their shit weeks later. The margin for error just isn't what it used to be. Only when we did the first clear of the warders (24 I think) did I ever feel like the margin of error was so slim those few items made a difference. (Maybe first Lady Nev too - fuck that fight)

I can't speak for druids, but Troll & Barb shamans both have decent belt options from Inny. BCG is definitely BiS, but there's much better than turmoilskin to hold you over for awhile.

That said, I agree with those saying it should be solidly necro first, even on a non-competitive server like we have at the moment. As a shaman there's no way I would take one over our necros unless we were at the point where they were going to recruits or people with shit raid attendance.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Has Faceless gotten another BCG yet? Still can't believe I only paid 50 or whatever, no idea what other nerds are saving for if it wasn't that?

There you are. People are calling your belt "Belt of retirement", since you poofed right after getting it and haven't been on since :p

rad

Lord of Guk
Lady Nev was awesome, just torpor the casters so they can just sit in the AE!

You know I love my torpor, but trying to torpor casters on nav was an exercise. Due to the shorter range and the need of dps belly casting (if I recall nev aoe is like every 12 seconds or so) torpor is a 6 second cast so you could only get in 1 per and more often than not getting hit by the aoe trying to get in range or running back out. I always made it work but that fight during the first few clears was maddening.

Dyll

Molten Core Raider
Troll inny belt is BIS till Velious assuming you don't snatch a BCG. Cannot recall what I replaced it with in Velious, would need to look, might be the Dain belt.

As much as my feelings mirror yours and Korrupts, I would highly recommend bidding on what you want. I passed on many things through velious that would have been nice to have only to see those toons who did win sell their shit weeks later. The margin for error just isn't what it used to be. Only when we did the first clear of the warders (24 I think) did I ever feel like the margin of error was so slim those few items made a difference. (Maybe first Lady Nev too - fuck that fight)

Yeah that was really my point. In any decent guild on the TLPs, wiping just isn't even a thing anymore. Only other time besides warders that was rough was first run through VP with low numbers. The difference might end up being a few ticks higher in DPS, which does what? shave like 12 seconds off an encounter from the previous time? Looking back, who really cares if the BCG went to a necro(who all quit anyway!) or a ranger lol. Maybe I'm just salty that as an Enchanter, there is literally zero good raid drops in classic other than BCG/WDC that have any sort of longevity.

Sterling

El Presidente
You know I love my torpor, but trying to torpor casters on nav was an exercise. Due to the shorter range and the need of dps belly casting (if I recall nev aoe is like every 12 seconds or so) torpor is a 6 second cast so you could only get in 1 per and more often than not getting hit by the aoe trying to get in range or running back out. I always made it work but that fight during the first few clears was maddening.
We eventually figured out the perfect spot for casters to sit and be in range of both healers and nev. Was glorious.

Sterling

El Presidente
Yeah that was really my point. In any decent guild on the TLPs, wiping just isn't even a thing anymore. Only other time besides warders that was rough was first run through VP with low numbers. The difference might end up being a few ticks higher in DPS, which does what? shave like 12 seconds off an encounter from the previous time? Looking back, who really cares if the BCG went to a necro(who all quit anyway!) or a ranger lol. Maybe I'm just salty that as an Enchanter, there is literally zero good raid drops in classic other than BCG/WDC that have any sort of longevity.
That was sort of caster loot in general in classic though. As a wizard you could literally just get Phinny staff and WDC and be ready for Kunark.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
WDC is the only non garbage tier back piece for both priests and casters in classic. Druids used to get a sky cloak, but I don't know if you even get that on TLPs anymore or if you wind up with the totem. WDC is still twice as good.

At least there are ok belt options.

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
With the amount of WDC drops I figure they will open that up to anyone shortly.

Though I must say I really enjoy seeing the clerics cry about not being able to bid on it.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
With the amount of WDC drops I figure they will open that up to anyone shortly.

Though I must say I really enjoy seeing the clerics cry about not being able to bid on it.
In Kunark you can do many, many Vox splits since she's a joke at 60. I mean you can do splits with like ~ 8 people or whatever based on however many tanks and stuff you have available. Everyone gets a WDC if they want one in kunark.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider

Think of all the races we went through, Starklen doing 51 AJ's, Siirx and Grisvok topping race parses for 3 expansions almost. They used it the entirety of its life cycle until Velious when you get BA3 helm or Feshlak boots right away. To say it didn't make a difference and was only to shave time off of first kills is really putting it lightly. Those 3 necro's did more work than 98% of the guild and were well worth the restriction to put it on them.

Bro I was salty as hell as a warrior too lol, don't forget an Enc took our first shield of the immaculate from tanks. That's by far our BiS back item until Lady Nev even forgetting about the click. I think no matter what we decided no one was 100% happy. You guys all know that im 100% about whats best for us as a team and Grisvok I can say is exactly the same. Our thought process is always whats best overall for AoS and not one person or class.

Wiping isn't a thing in our guild but believe me the majority of guilds do wipe still at some point. Being in other guilds I now realize how important our guilds organization, preparation, transparency, and work we put in is.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There has to end up being a balance between having the best class get an item, and having people handed them for nothing. A good compromise I remember from waaay back was if the priority class (eg warrior on blade of war) wanted it, they had to both beat a threshold AND all in. This meant a warrior always got it but if and only if they both saved for it amd went hard.

I'd argue for this on BCG. In agnar FE terms it would mean something like necros can dibs it only if they bid 100+ and also all in.

Meanwhile, it's important to be mindful of big picture. If you let necros dibs BCG but also in on WDC early, and especially if necros but not druids are on WDC priority, thats really shitty for the druid. Another problem is you will have a class like cleric who has fuckall to spend on in classic. Let em bid on WDCs and your nukers will get hosed by all the many many clerics with nothing better to buy, but, if you close it to clerics for too long you put your most critical raid class in a position of having nothing to look forward to which is probably way worse. There has to be compromises.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Keystone

Lord Nagafen Raider

As far as not wiping ever on TLPs the point of optimizing in my mind at least would be to be able to maximize splitting on these instanced servers. I ended up running with OGC on Phini while I played because I'm not able to do the batphones anymore and it was an absolute blast, because they basically just max split everything which kept encounters challenging while also creating a pixel pinata. It's a different skillset doing things with low numbers than it is racing to kill mobs which I also found very fun.

Hoping I can end up finding something similar on Agnarr, I was hoping to hook up with FE and casual up some instance splits but the more I think about it I'm afraid it will drive me nuts missing out on all the open world raids, especially if Phini was any indication they'll be busy enough with that instanced stuff will just be an afterthought.