Everquest - Live Servers

Sterling

El Presidente
What is this "advanced loot" ? Whats so good/terrible about it?
Whenever a mob drops an item it shows up in the loot management window and the master looter can do whatever with it. People can assign need or greed always/just once and the master looter can then roll out the items which can be set to automated or assign the item to a player or leave it on the corpse etc. There's a bunch of options and it just makes things so much more convenient than the old clicking corpses shit from the old days.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mryd

Golden Knight of the Realm
The biggest problem with advanced loot is how ugly/clanky the window/ui is for it.. I mean it is pretty bad. And when you are coming back to EQ to just try to enjoy some nostalgic feels and this ugly ass jarring window pops up in your face when you are just trying to simply loot a bat wing, it can be kind of frustrating. So many different options abbreviated into two letters or just a stupid fucking symbol.

Honestly, it took me awhile to figure out. Once you get used to the window though, it's great.

• 1Like

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I would rather have a login server that works and a game that doesn't go tits up every 24-48h over an expansion that will probably just be a reskin in many ways

Pogi.G

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Correct, you're looking for the "original" plate armor from PoF, Lustrous Russet.

I completely forgot about the name change when they moved the armor from PoF to PoH when hate when live. Speaking of Hate, one of my favorite zones(classic hate anyway). It always kept us on our toes when we had to deal with NPC with pets, especially the golem? shaman pets, oh and pathing in the zone was god awful. Made for some really fun times trying to control pet trains. I think later they removed the pets if I remember correctly and with it, some of the fun of that zone...

Pogi

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I completely forgot about the name change when they moved the armor from PoF to PoH when hate when live. Speaking of Hate, one of my favorite zones(classic hate anyway). It always kept us on our toes when we had to deal with NPC with pets, especially the golem? shaman pets, oh and pathing in the zone was god awful. Made for some really fun times trying to control pet trains. I think later they removed the pets if I remember correctly and with it, some of the fun of that zone...

Pogi
-Aamina

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Speaking of horrid pathing, has anyone ever cleared hate by moving as a raid from group to group (of mobs)? If so, wouldn't this all but eliminate the risk of pet pathing? I know that a raid such as that would really make the monks / SK's sad, because then who would pull, but it would probably work well for everyone else.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
classic hate is so confusing, you would end up with more trains from people getting lost.

modern hate you could maybe pull that off, tho.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Speaking of horrid pathing, has anyone ever cleared hate by moving as a raid from group to group (of mobs)? If so, wouldn't this all but eliminate the risk of pet pathing? I know that a raid such as that would really make the monks / SK's sad, because then who would pull, but it would probably work well for everyone else.
Would work but would be slower than having a couple people training the mobs to a central location.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The biggest problem with advanced loot is how ugly/clanky the window/ui is for it.. I mean it is pretty bad. And when you are coming back to EQ to just try to enjoy some nostalgic feels and this ugly ass jarring window pops up in your face when you are just trying to simply loot a bat wing, it can be kind of frustrating. So many different options abbreviated into two letters or just a stupid fucking symbol.

Honestly, it took me awhile to figure out. Once you get used to the window though, it's great.
Yep. I ignored the advloot window for months for that reason. However once I started using it it's going to be tough to go back to not having it. It's amazing when clearing old zones. It increases my kill speed by like 10x while farming entire zones.

BTW: I finally got this yesterday

63122c4f4a5205633f2625279a9dcf9e.jpg

Added like 150 AC and 1500 HP, pretty amazing.

• 1Like

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Yep. I ignored the advloot window for months for that reason. However once I started using it it's going to be tough to go back to not having it. It's amazing when clearing old zones. It increases my kill speed by like 10x while farming entire zones.

BTW: I finally got this yesterday

View attachment 80998

Added like 150 AC and 1500 HP, pretty amazing.

I wish classic EQ had those kind of focus effects. That'd make P99 so much more tolerable.

It's amazing how many good ideas actually go into EQ now a days that would've fit classic pretty well...

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Is this the main EQ 1 thread? Hope so. I would like to ask about this game. I've played WoW on and off since launch. Played EQ2 for a few months after launch but it didn't quite stick (left after all my friends migrated back to WoW). Played a bit of LotRO, and Eve.

So, I've been thinking, why do people play a game this old? I'm not trolling or being derogatory. Obviously this game has a pull that other, newer ones don't. I take it it must be something more than just "nostalgia"? Could any of you describe what this game is like and what it has to offer a casual player (often solo)? Are there any websites, YouTube videos that help describe/explain this game for those more accustomed to, say, WoW?

Been wondering for a long time if this is a game I might enjoy or not so I decided to try and ask and find out. :)
Personally I like playing modern EQ because:
1. Coming back there's so much content and a lot of the time is just spent exploring new areas and enemies for the first time (and executing hordes of them because it's 6 years old). Besides the amount of content there's a lot of diversity because it was created by different people over 16 years. So it's almost like playing a heavily modded game in some ways.

2. I three box and playing provides a unique gameplay. Because of the relatively low APM per character, high amount of inter-character dependency and ease of automation, multi-boxing just feels great in EQ and not a pain. And if you're able to do it well, it's so much more efficient than the players you're soft-competing against.

3. I think a lot was nostalgia. EQ was my first MMO and I never really figured it out before moving on, so it's fun to come back as an MMO expert and doing very well even with a limited playtime.

4. A lot of the rough edges that we rememer from Classic EQ have been more or less worked out, and a lot of the things we love that aren't in modern MMOs aren't there.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I wish classic EQ had those kind of focus effects. That'd make P99 so much more tolerable.

It's amazing how many good ideas actually go into EQ now a days that would've fit classic pretty well...
If I played on the TLP servers the biggest thing I'd miss from live is the 70 or so abilities I use beyond taunt and kick.

I guess I'd probably just have to 6 box instead of 3box and my APM would be high anyway. The Phingel server is a true box server right? I don't know what the fuck a warrior does on that server 95% of the time they're playing. Probably what I did when I played EQ in the velious era, read books and watch movies.

I don't even know what anyone besides maybe a bard (they don't have melody right?) does on those servers.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I always played a single game back in EQ. Never 2+ boxing. As a wizard, it was tolerable. I would spend my mana, then have a 10-15 minute break waiting for my mana to regen before my next XP kill. It was fine, because mobs were on such a long respawn anyway.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs

We did it (afterlife) back in the day. It was late in hate's usefulness, probably during kunark or something. It was great for everyone to get to see the place instead of just the pullers.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
We did it (afterlife) back in the day. It was late in hate's usefulness, probably during kunark or something. It was great for everyone to get to see the place instead of just the pullers.

I pretty much never had the chance to see what hate or fear looked like for the most part because of this. I was finally able to explore both on Nagafen's Lair within the last month. For some reason Hate was always one of the most intriguing zones for me.

• 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Veeshan server 1999, near the end of the year. I was playing catch-up, as I started EQ late Summer. I had just dinged 46, with no exp to spare. A fellow shaman had befriended me, showing how you could root/rot and exploit mob pathing in Freeport. He was in Celestial Tomb and said they might have a spot for me in a raid. Tell "Hey, come down to S Ro if you want to see Plane of Hate. We might have a spot for you on our raid."

I booked it as fast as I could down to the wizard spires in the deserts of S Ro, the closer I got, the more my computer started to chug. The mass of digital humanity nearly fried my Voodo video card. I got a tell and an invite from Xanupox. Next thing I knew I was being ported up and told to loot the mob immediately. I had my first piece of raid loot, Rune Etched Bracer, and my job was to give buffs to 60 or so zerglings for the next 8 hours. Ended up with bracers, boots, and vambraces for my trouble... and 3 painful years of raiding with Celestial Tomb, because I was loyal. I was told many times that I could/should be in Fires of Heaven, but I stuck it out with the guild that gave me my first chance.

Hate was a terrifying place. All I remember was being stuck in the port up room and getting trained every 5 minutes or so. Sometimes we won, sometimes the mobs won.

• 1Solidarity

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
EverQuest - Empires of Kunark

Empires of Kunark Livestream: Thurs, Oct 6 @ 10AM PDT | EverQuest Forums

No level increase: mentioned near the end of the stream and when asked about level increases in the future the answer was basically well it takes almost a full year just to do a level increase. So not looking good there for the future unless they do a lot more with aa.

Preorder bonus: an Iksar statue and getting into beta

Tradeskills: They mentioned there would be some trade skills but nothing on how many or such or on what level.

New spells and AA: They said there would be some but again no details

Gear system: When asked about the type 5 and 9 augs and the way they gear worked they said they said they wont be doing things the way the did in Hate and Fear and that the level scaling raids were something they didn't see much out of for the work involved. So they sort of answered the gear system.

Zones: 7 new zones

Raids: 8 raids

Port spells : Not brought up at all but they are doing the same thing as in TBM the second tier expansion option has a personal teleport to the expansion and the third tier expansion option includes a statue that I assume can be placed in guild halls for anyone to use.

I guess on the beta forum someone said there'd be roughly 10k more AAs for each class.

• 1Like

zero_name

Golden Knight of the Realm
New expac looks fucking whack. I guess that's what happens when you have three people trying to churn out an expac in a year. Leave the sacred Kunark name out of it and those motherfuckers better not visit Velious next year (they will).