Everquest - Live Servers

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
So, with the alternate personas thing and how it currently works in beta, when the new TLP server comes out, it wont matter where you start your character because you can just create a new character in the starting city you need to get to, and then switch to your persona that you actually want to play. It will switch to that persona exactly where you are currently standing on your new character.

Want to make a troll and start in Nektulos Forest with out making that run at level 1? No problem. Make your troll, create dark elf mage (or what ever class) persona, switch back to your troll persona, and POOF your level 1 troll is in Neriak.

Now where this is going to get interesting is raid guilds are going to be able to park personas at raid targets. When the target spawns, they just load that persona, switch to their main persona, and they are standing right there ready to go at the target.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So, with the alternate personas thing and how it currently works in beta, when the new TLP server comes out, it wont matter where you start your character because you can just create a new character in the starting city you need to get to, and then switch to your persona that you actually want to play. It will switch to that persona exactly where you are currently standing on your new character.

Want to make a troll and start in Nektulos Forest with out making that run at level 1? No problem. Make your troll, create dark elf mage (or what ever class) persona, switch back to your troll persona, and POOF your level 1 troll is in Neriak.

Now where this is going to get interesting is raid guilds are going to be able to park personas at raid targets. When the target spawns, they just load that persona, switch to their main persona, and they are standing right there ready to go at the target.
If this is gonna be on TLP's, they will be a new level of toxic thats for sure.

• 1Like

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
If this is gonna be on TLP's, they will be a new level of toxic thats for sure.
Can't wait to see the video where somebody's group instantly turns in to all monks and FDs as the train comes rolling in to camp.

Or... the raid guild that literally levels up one account as a "pinch hitter" that has warrior, cleric, and enchanter personas leveled up and raid geared that just sits outside the raid out of combat until the raid needs a specific role because something went wrong.

"Switch to cleric! Get in there!!! HEAL HEAL HEAL!"
"Down a tank in the rotation due to a lucky quad. Switch to warrior, and join the rotation!"
"You wizards that just got destroyed, switch to bard and run back in!"

It's a whole new level of raid strategy.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

I thought it was going to be tied to the next expansion?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Stopped playing my Zerker on live because I wanted to be an SK instead but didn't want to start from scratch or lose all my work. So I persisted until I was totally over it. This might actually get me playing again.

Classes I'd level up for personas:

SK (max level, to main)
Mage (55 or so, to COTH a group after FD flopping to a location)
Bard (30 or so? to sprint and use best drums)
Cleric (55 or so to be able to full ress people in non-merc situations)
Necro (max, to solo with or DPS in groups that have a tank already)

I mean, in theory if it doesn't take a super long time to level up (at least, 1-110 or so), you're gonna see people getting all the classes to max level on one character on a long enough timeline. Seems like that'd give people a ton more to do and probably breathe some life/replayability into the game. Though I suspect the 110-125 slog is gonna be real taxing to do 15 more times on your main.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Stopped playing my Zerker on live because I wanted to be an SK instead but didn't want to start from scratch or lose all my work. So I persisted until I was totally over it. This might actually get me playing again.

Classes I'd level up for personas:

SK (max level, to main)
Mage (55 or so, to COTH a group after FD flopping to a location)
Bard (30 or so? to sprint and use best drums)
Cleric (55 or so to be able to full ress people in non-merc situations)
Necro (max, to solo with or DPS in groups that have a tank already)

I mean, in theory if it doesn't take a super long time to level up (at least, 1-110 or so), you're gonna see people getting all the classes to max level on one character on a long enough timeline. Seems like that'd give people a ton more to do and probably breathe some life/replayability into the game. Though I suspect the 110-125 slog is gonna be real taxing to do 15 more times on your main.
Anybody that two boxes will essentially have every combination they ever need. All buffs, rez, run speed, etc.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Or... the raid guild that literally levels up one account as a "pinch hitter" that has warrior, cleric, and enchanter personas leveled up and raid geared that just sits outside the raid out of combat until the raid needs a specific role because something went wrong.

"Switch to cleric! Get in there!!! HEAL HEAL HEAL!"
"Down a tank in the rotation due to a lucky quad. Switch to warrior, and join the rotation!"
"You wizards that just got destroyed, switch to bard and run back in!"

It's a whole new level of raid strategy.

is the switch instant now? Otherwise, this isn't anything they couldn't have done already

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Can I make a wizard, blow my wad, and then swap in some other char?

I'm guessing HP/MP will stay at the same percentage when switching personas. So you'd be sitting there with no MP on the new persona. Otherwise this whole thing is completely broken.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm guessing HP/MP will stay at the same percentage when switching personas. So you'd be sitting there with no MP on the new persona. Otherwise this whole thing is completely broken.

Doesn't matter if my mana is shot because my ranger will just not cast during trueshot and neither will my monk when trueshot ends and I switch again...

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
is the switch instant now? Otherwise, this isn't anything they couldn't have done already
I'll retest it today when I get home from work, but from what I remember, as long as you are out of combat, you can switch personas.

• 1Like

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Can I make a wizard, blow my wad, and then swap in some other char?
No. You would be in combat and you can not switch personas while in combat. What you can do though is blow your wad don your wizard, die, release, switch persona, zone back in to fight as your Ranger or what ever.

It's another form of zerging basically, but with the added benefit of getting to choose which class you want to be on your zerg back in to the fight.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Here's the video I did the day that they put alternate personas in to the beta.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Juvarisx

Florida
I hope they do a tlp without personas too I’m not loving the sound of it tbh. Same rules in both that are some combo of mischief and oakwynd one persona and one not.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I'll retest it today when I get home from work, but from what I remember, as long as you are out of combat, you can switch personas.

What I'm saying is this doesn't sound any different than having a guild "box" right now with the same classes just on different characters and not a single persona

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Seems like the primary use-cases are:
  • Main switching (How I plan to use it)
  • Utility (FD, ports, coth, track, sneak etc)
  • True 'alt switching' where you can bring one of multiple characters to a group
I don't think they'll facilitate fast-switching where you can switch in combat. Where APs are superior to alts is the speed at which you can switch and the ability to share character benefits like Artisan's Prize, Heroic AAs, etc, along with gear. I still think alts and boxes will have benefits for a lot of people.

• 1Like