Everquest - Live Servers

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The bard 2.0 is super useful and has solid longevity, as much as the shaman. It's more versatile than the shaman one because it helps melee and casters.

I would definitely put it before the necro since that one only affects one character's abilities.

IIRC it isn't that hard to get either. Sounds like it's even better than I thought as well.

If one is running what I consider the holy trinity of 3-boxing (SK/SHM/BRD), that group really gets sick during OOW. All 3 epics are probably in the top five 2.0s.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Probably the best Epic 2.0 out of all of them, too.

Someone with Youtube talent should make videos ranking the epics and epic 2.0s, with their pros and cons weighed. Don't think anything like that exists on Youtube now.

Off the top of my head I'd say the top four 1.0s are Cleric, Monk, Bard, Rogue. Top four 2.0s are Shaman, Necro, Cleric, Shadowknight. If weighing for longevity of usefulness, Cleric 1.0 and Shaman 2.0 should be tops because they never stop being useful. IIRC Necro 2.0 was similar but after level 100 or so they added similar focii to other items so people could finally replace it.
Necro 2.0 was S-Rank until recently when they nerfed the crit focus to diminish based on level like some of the other epics. Funnily enough the crit focus from the 2.0 and the 2.5 stacked additively, making the epic even more OP. It's a good change though since they were the only class that actually had to wield their epic.

Worn Effect: Dark Whisper
1: Increase Chance to Critical DoT by 8% up to level 80 (lose 5% per level)

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
IIRC it isn't that hard to get either. Sounds like it's even better than I thought as well.

If one is running what I consider the holy trinity of 3-boxing (SK/SHM/BRD), that group really gets sick during OOW. All 3 epics are probably in the top five 2.0s.
I one grouped the bard 2.0 with my box group (minus the globe, of course), so that gives you an idea of the ease.

Honestly, doing my epics with my box group was some of the most fun I had on a TLP. I was able to do probably 90% of the epic 2.0s for my 9 characters by myself. I think I did bard, shaman, monk, paladin, and (maybe) druid completely with my single box group.

Yeah, I had issues...

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Necro 2.0 was S-Rank until recently when they nerfed the crit focus to diminish based on level like some of the other epics. Funnily enough the crit focus from the 2.0 and the 2.5 stacked additively, making the epic even more OP. It's a good change though since they were the only class that actually had to wield their epic.

Worn Effect: Dark Whisper
1: Increase Chance to Critical DoT by 8% up to level 80 (lose 5% per level)

Did they fix the 2.0 and 2.5 effects stacking? And are there any other epics that cumulatively stack a 2.5 effect like that (I.e. any other classes where the 2.5 is a must)? Didn't even know that was a thing. Barely played DODH since live so the itemization of it is a blind spot.

I one grouped the bard 2.0 with my box group (minus the globe, of course), so that gives you an idea of the ease.

Honestly, doing my epics with my box group was some of the most fun I had on a TLP. I was able to do probably 90% of the epic 2.0s for my 9 characters by myself. I think I did bard, shaman, monk, paladin, and (maybe) druid completely with my single box group.

Yeah, I had issues...

Lul, that sounds like something I'd do if the OCD really kicked in. Like getting two Elden Ring platinums on two different systems like some kind of maniac. And yeah, I imagine it would be a ton of fun to take on those epic challenges with a single group.

Part of me wants to try a 6 box for the first time ever in this go-around and fill out the group with 3 berserkers. Nice and simple for ISBoxer, can line warcries up with Shaman epic, get to see 3 ogres (or whatever) swinging big axes together. I'm sure it'd be better to diversify classes for more abilities to stack, but at my level of multiboxing experience 3 of the same DPS class would likely work better.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Did they fix the 2.0 and 2.5 effects stacking? And are there any other epics that cumulatively stack a 2.5 effect like that (I.e. any other classes where the 2.5 is a must)? Didn't even know that was a thing. Barely played DODH since live so the itemization of it is a blind spot.
Dunno if they changed the stacking. I don't know of any other class where getting the 2.5 is important.

DickTrickle

Lul, that sounds like something I'd do if the OCD really kicked in. Like getting two Elden Ring platinums on two different systems like some kind of maniac.

Part of me wants to try a 6 box for the first time ever in this go-around and fill out the group with 3 berserkers. Nice and simple for ISBoxer, can line warcries up with Shaman epic, get to see 3 ogres (or whatever) swinging big axes together. I'm sure it'd be better to diversify classes for more abilities to stack, but at my level of multiboxing experience 3 of the same DPS class would likely work better.
I don't think I could ever go full degen again like that but I do wonder sometimes how much easier and more efficient I could be if I actually used something like ISBoxer instead of fucking USB number pads.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
They still stack, but instead of +8 and +10 for +18%, now it's +8 and +2 for +10%.

Sounds like they just fixed it to the intended 10% increase, probably the best way to handle it.

I think the focus decays quickly after level 100 but Necro epic is still good up until around then.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I've really enjoyed doing my epics. I'm completed 1.0, 1.5, and nearing the 2.0 completion. Its been forever since I've done one (I'm guessing Agnarr) and the only part that can be challenging are Rare spawns. I'm sure on TLP's they're not as bad but if you're going back to your home server or if the server has progressed far beyond the zones in which they drop, you have to spend time getting the right mobs to spawn. Eldrig the Old is a great example. If you have several groups killing everything in the zone, eventually he'll pop but luckily there's a decent map with spawn locations and paths that give you a good chance so you're not wasting your time. Other than some of the mindlesss killing and hoping for some luck, everything else is really fun, nostalgic, and the lore isn't too bad in some of the quests either.

I'm not sure how long the 2.0 (or 2.5?) last in terms of relevancy once you hit the LS expansion, but I at least like to have the ornaments if nothing else. On a side note, I think the epic ornament quest is unnecessary. For the time you put into epics, you should get an ornament and a house decoration item version of your epics. Maybe you do now and I just haven't ran into that but that should be a given.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I've really enjoyed doing my epics. I'm completed 1.0, 1.5, and nearing the 2.0 completion. Its been forever since I've done one (I'm guessing Agnarr) and the only part that can be challenging are Rare spawns. I'm sure on TLP's they're not as bad but if you're going back to your home server or if the server has progressed far beyond the zones in which they drop, you have to spend time getting the right mobs to spawn. Eldrig the Old is a great example. If you have several groups killing everything in the zone, eventually he'll pop but luckily there's a decent map with spawn locations and paths that give you a good chance so you're not wasting your time. Other than some of the mindlesss killing and hoping for some luck, everything else is really fun, nostalgic, and the lore isn't too bad in some of the quests either.

I'm not sure how long the 2.0 (or 2.5?) last in terms of relevancy once you hit the LS expansion, but I at least like to have the ornaments if nothing else. On a side note, I think the epic ornament quest is unnecessary. For the time you put into epics, you should get an ornament and a house decoration item version of your epics. Maybe you do now and I just haven't ran into that but that should be a given.
Doing Eldrig and other mobs that are somewhat hard to get to spawn reliably (like Quillmane) is fun on live with a maxed out Ranger / Bard, especially if it's casual enough to wait for a rare named bonus and quiet enough to have the zone to yourself. For Eldrig I enjoyed machine gunning basically the entire zone.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
What's the state of Rat Ears in 2024? Does the quest still work / give good EXP? How many stacks did it take to get a character to, say, level 15 or 20?

I've got like 200,000 of them banked on some TLP server. No clue which and can't check because I'm not subbed and almost all of my servers are yellow. Probably either Vaniki or Mischief.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, I thought all the bone chip, wine, rat ear, and crushbone belt type quests had been nerfed into the ground on Darkpaw servers?

• 1Like

DickTrickle

What's the state of Rat Ears in 2024? Does the quest still work / give good EXP? How many stacks did it take to get a character to, say, level 15 or 20?

I've got like 200,000 of them banked on some TLP server. No clue which and can't check because I'm not subbed and almost all of my servers are yellow. Probably either Vaniki or Mischief.
I don't think the XP was nerfed but I don't believe you can buy the rat ears anymore. I think it was the last of the buy XP quests to get nerfed.

DickTrickle

If that's the case then that happened when they made it no longer buyable (or it was nerfed twice) because it was a very viable leveling route on mischief.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I guess at some point the UI totally changed. I can log in and see my character, alt left click to open a bag and that is it. I have no idea how to show the actual stats on a weapon or item. Hovering the mouse over an item shows the name, eventually but it seems like even that is very laggy. It would take me all day just to get the name of all the crap I have in a bunch of bags, and never know what it actually is beyond a name.

Last edited:

DickTrickle

I guess at some point the UI totally changed. I can log in and see my character, alt left click to open a bag and that is it. I have no idea how to show the actual stats on a weapon or item. Hovering the mouse over an item shows the name, eventually but it seems like even that is very laggy. It would take me all day just to get the name of all the crap I have in a bunch of bags, and never know what it actually is beyond a name.
Did you try holding down right click on the item?

• 1Worf

Borzak

Yes I did.

Fixed. I logged off and back in and low when I alt left click it shows the information. Not sure what happened the first time. I was like stop showing me just the name lol. And now holding alt shows the name of all items at once. Not sure what the deal was. Was super annoying though. I tried googling an answer and all I got was how to open all bags at once and I already had that with a hotkey.

Still have fire beetle eye from first day of playing everquest a long time ago. Not sure why I am carrying around a couple of bags all full of weapons. Surely I didn't switch out that many often.

Have 3k AA will take me a long time to get up to date. I don't remember this many clicky items either.

Last edited:

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I subbed to all access, but it says I currently have a cap of 170 AA? Heard there was a cap, but I thought that was only if you were running f2p?

Borzak

I looked at my AA and there wasn't a cap on a currently free account. Maybe it's because I am on the FV roleplay server.