Fair MTX Models in free to play games

Xerge

<Donor>
New World really hit the spot IMO. They released a game which required zero extra coin and only a box price spent to experience the game fully, continued to release free post launch updates and patches, has an announced paid expansion, cash shop for cosmetics, and does a season pass. Sure the game doesn't meet expectations of being a 10mil player MMO but this is about pay models and NW is technically successful. New World gets a lot of respect for it's current pay model which is a hybrid to me

I fucking hate the ESO model and their previous agenda of release small dlcs each quarter; fuk yea one new raid a year bois

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Path of Exile is probably the best example of a good cash shop I've seen. All the content is free and they do regular constant updates to the game every few months. The cash shop consists of cosmetics and stash tabs. The default looks are all ugly as fuck, the cash shop ones look nice. Simple. The Stash Tabs aren't 'required' to play but really if you want to have any reasonable time playing the game you need some. I don't really give a shit about cosmetics in games so the only thing I've spend money on is stash tabs. I've spent around $80 in 10 years of playing so I'm probably not the ideal customer you are looking for.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I'll take all this to heart to try to make something fun :)

Szlia

The Fortnite business model sounds pretty good also, but I wonder if it can only work past some sort of critical mass. There is not much of an incentive to differentiate yourself through cosmetics if there are only 100 players. When there are 100k or 100M though... Apparently, more than two thirds of Fortnite players spent some money on the game.