Fantasy Consoles

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Are any of you into this? For the most part they are fake emulators of older hardware with lots of retro style limitations. Small screens, limited color, tiny ram etc.

This one seems to be the most popular: PICO-8 Fantasy Console

But there are alot more. I've been on the hunt for one similar to an old original xbox, but the only 3D capable one I found is using web assembly. I don't know what that is but the word web is never a good thing to see.

My ideal would be something 6502ish, but with more address space and a fpu or maybe even a simd unit. And some kind of limited GPU. I'd love to have a simple no os system with some simple ROM stuff for IO etc. Maybe with something quirky like the 6502's zero page. Making stuff in simple assembly with a real gpu would be fun.

For real hardware the commander x16 is almost there, but the gpu has no 3D capability. There's also the MiSTer fpga based system. Look at all these systems it will emulate: Cores

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I guess theyre a neat idea. But like your first sentence, the few minutes I spent on your linked one.. Im just asking myself, why use this over a more mainstream emulator?

Now if I could just find a modern version of Shining Force / Langrisser combat, Id be happy.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Yea maybe they are more for the developer. I find them interesting because they impose limitations. Keeps me from dreaming too big.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users