Worms - Banana Bomb
DMC3 / DMC4SE - Beowulf
Dark Souls 3 - Friede's Great Scythe
Goldeneye - Proximity Mines
Doom 2016 - Chainsaw

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I'll have to think about this topic, but if I had to choose something recent it world be Roadhog's scrap gun.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
It's the Flak Cannon.

Period.

Quad Jumping Flak Cannon secondary shot with a double kill off screen will always be the most satisfying kill.

Proc Mines from Goldeneye for the troll value are a close second.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
mmm I loved playing UT so much in college.

Kept a copy of it on ...

zip drive

• 3Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team

Kept a copy of it on ...

zip drive

UT is what got me into FPS games/PC Gaming. How big the modding community was completely blew my mind, I went and bought a computer as soon as possible. I couldn't wait to see the possibilities in 10-20 years, now here we are and almost no games allow modding. It's really fucking stupid on their part.

I'd love to see mods in BF4/BF1/etc.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Superhiro

Silver Knight of the Realm
It wasn't flashy, it wasn't extremely powerful, but the MP5 from Half Life 1 with the grenade launcher just felt so smooth and satisfying to use in deathmatch games.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>

Kept a copy of it on ...

zip drive

UT2K3 - Zoom Insta-Gib, Low Grav, Quad Jump

I felt bad when I got to college. Someone hosted a server on the campus LAN, there were like 3 of us who were hardcore into UT. Anyone else that jumped on was just fodder. Some of my dorm friends wanted to play and they did not enjoy the experience.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Do spells count as weapons? If so, Vanish + Doom from Final Fantasy 3(6) was so amazing it broke the game. Once I found out about that I never played the game legit again.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
UT2K3 - Zoom Insta-Gib, Low Grav, Quad Jump

I felt bad when I got to college. Someone hosted a server on the campus LAN, there were like 3 of us who were hardcore into UT. Anyone else that jumped on was just fodder. Some of my dorm friends wanted to play and they did not enjoy the experience.

We really need to do a game night with this, my reflexes aren't as good now but it would still be fun. That exact setup was the best, if you jumped and missed your shot, you died.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is pretty easy. Half Life 1, MP5. First time I ever felt like I was firing a real gun on the computer. The sound, the impact, the destruction... they nailed it.

mp5.jpg

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
It's the Flak Cannon.

Period.

Quad Jumping Flak Cannon secondary shot with a double kill off screen will always be the most satisfying kill.

Proc Mines from Goldeneye for the troll value are a close second.

People who camped the bathroom of Facility with proximity mines were the worst

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Szlia

Reading the thread's title, my first though was the machine gun in Cave Story. The idea is that, thanks to its recoil, you can use it as a kind of jet-pack, so suddenly you fly around levels thanks to your gun.

Second idea was Another World's laser pistol. You tap to shoot a laser, you hold a little and release to get a static shield (that protects against a lasers for a while or for a number of hits), you hold a while and release to shoot a charged laser that can break a shield. So single gun, single button and suddenly you have some pretty intricate gun fights.

Reading the thread and seeing Fear mentioned, I remembered the cool effect of the nail gun in that game. It would literally nail ragdolls to walls. That was pretty impressive even if it had no impact (pun not intended!) on gameplay.

Thinking a bit more I am also a big fan of the machine gun (?) in Axelay. The idea is that when you press the fire button, you have two streams of bullets that fire behind your ship and slowly move toward the front of your ship like two hands on a clock that go in opposite directions. When you release the button, the gun still shoots, but the two hands rotate toward the back of the ship. This allows the player, with some nicely timed presses and releases to shoot in just about every direction he wants. Very nice friction on that gun.

To add a non-gun weapon.... Scrooge McDuck's cane in DuckTales :)

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
OG Doom - single barrel shotgun (yeah, it was replaced pretty quickly but the pump animation is absolutely iconic to me)
Marathon - assault rifle / grenade launcher (great sound affects, perfect combo weapon, filling Pfhor with lead just felt right)

a_skeleton_01

<Banned>
Fallout 2 - .223 pistol.

It was so huge on the character and had such a satisfying snap when you got a crit/bloody mess kill. There were a lot of fun weapons in Fallout 2 for me.

latest