February Book of the Month Poll

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Rules from the book club thread:

1. Make thread, 1 week notice ahead of time when the reading will officially start.
2. Poster creates poll, 5 book options. Highest vote is the book to be read. The 2nd and 3rd most popular voted books may be included in next RBCT poll perhaps.
3. Sony you have 14 days.... Posters establish reading length time. Spoilers obv need to be in just about every post. Format would be "Im on page XXX: Spoiler"
4. After the established time has passed, people can being posts without spoiler tags, and a new thread could be proposed.
5. The most requested books of last months book thread will be included in the next month's poll.
We had great turn out for the first month, but little in the way of participation for recommending books for next month. Luckily, Archangel offered a different system:

1) Fantasy/Sci-fi (obvious choice for a gamer forum, we seem to all like this from these genres.) I group them together not just because it's become the traditional allocation, but because I don't want to overbalance the choices with what may or not be the Selector of the Month's preference,

2) Non-Fiction. Biography, documentary, memoir, etc,

3) General Fiction/Popular Fiction. Anything that cannot be pigeon-holed as a particular genre. Difficult to describe, but you know it when you see it.

4) Genre Fiction: crime, thriller, legal, supernatural, historical, comedy, mystery, detective, pulp, dime-store, you get the picture. I would like to include pure Romance here, too, even though most genre-specific fiction will have an element of Romance in it. (Willing to consider it a separate option, as well; these are just thoughts...)

5) Young Adult/Teen/Children's (both Fiction and Non): I would put Happry Potter, Twilight, Hunger Games, Ranger's Apprentice, Percy Jackson, City of Glass, etc into here, even though they have fantastical or sci fi, or adventure plots, they are written towards a younger audience.

6) Pot-Luck: Whether it's a book making news, an oddball author, or just something that the Selector of the Month really likes and really wants other people to read. Can be any kind of book.

---the book needs to be in print, and/or easily available through resources such asthebookdepositoryorabebooks, where you can get incredibly cheap and out-of-print/ out-of-circulation titles.

--Electronic copies of the selected book should be sourced (if possible) for anyone who can't afford the selected title. Which brings me to....

--Cost. We should consider setting some kind of limit. For example, a book that might cost $8.99 in the US can be as high as $33 in Australia. Working through the book depository eliminates that difference in many, many cases, but it's still worth thinking about.

--Restrictions. I would like to think we are all reasonable adults (filtered through the internet of course,) but I wonder if we should prohibit books that advocate violence, racial hatred, rape, torture, etc. obviously, these issues are usually found in most adult fiction books, but there's a difference between a plot device and an instructional manifesto.
I'm drawing the second-runner up from January (American Gods) as well as the most requested book in the three threads so far (Wise Man's Fear). For the rest of the list, I'm filling it out based on the criteria posted by Archangel. In the future, if you have any suggestions for books to include send me a private message and I'll fit it in next month.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Fantasy/Sci-fi: The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles, Day 1) by Patrick Rothfuss

rrr_img_11044.jpg

My name is Kvothe, pronounced nearly the same as "quothe." Names are important as they tell you a great deal about a person. I've had more names than anyone has a right to. The Adem call me Maedre. Which, depending on how it's spoken, can mean The Flame, The Thunder, or The Broken Tree.

"The Flame" is obvious if you've ever seen me. I have red hair, bright. If I had been born a couple of hundred years ago I would probably have been burned as a demon. I keep it short but it's unruly. When left to its own devices, it sticks up and makes me look as if I have been set afire.

"The Thunder" I attribute to a strong baritone and a great deal of stage training at an early age.

I've never thought of "The Broken Tree" as very significant. Although in retrospect, I suppose it could be considered at least partially prophetic.

My first mentor called me E'lir because I was clever and I knew it. My first real lover called me Dulator because she liked the sound of it. I have been called Shadicar, Lightfinger, and Six-String. I have been called Kvothe the Bloodless, Kvothe the Arcane, and Kvothe Kingkiller. I have earned those names. Bought and paid for them.

But I was brought up as Kvothe. My father once told me it meant "to know."

I have, of course, been called many other things. Most of them uncouth, although very few were unearned.

I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep.

You may have heard of me.

So begins the tale of Kvothe-from his childhood in a troupe of traveling players, to years spent as a near-feral orphan in a crime-riddled city, to his daringly brazen yet successful bid to enter a difficult and dangerous school of magic. In these pages you will come to know Kvothe as a notorious magician, an accomplished thief, a masterful musician, and an infamous assassin. But The Name of the Wind is so much more-for the story it tells reveals the truth behind Kvothe's legend.

2) Non-Fiction (ALABanned and Challenged Classics): In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

rrr_img_11045.jpg

Truman Capote's masterpiece, In Cold Blood, created a sensation when it was first published, serially, in The New Yorker in 1965. The intensively researched, atmospheric narrative of the lives of the Clutter family of Holcomb, Kansas, and of the two men, Richard Eugene Hickock and Perry Edward Smith, who brutally killed them on the night of November 15, 1959, is the seminal work of the "new journalism." Perry Smith is one of the great dark characters of American literature, full of contradictory emotions. "I thought he was a very nice gentleman," he says of Herb Clutter. "Soft-spoken. I thought so right up to the moment I cut his throat." Told in chapters that alternate between the Clutter household and the approach of Smith and Hickock in their black Chevrolet, then between the investigation of the case and the killers' flight, Capote's account is so detailed that the reader comes to feel almost like a participant in the events.

Some critics consider Capote's work the original non-fiction novel, although other writers had already explored the genre, such as Rodolfo Walsh in Operaci?n Masacre. The book examines the complex psychological relationship between two parolees who together commit a mass murder. Capote's book also explores the lives of the victims and the effect of the crime on the community where they lived. In Cold Blood is regarded by critics as a pioneering work of the true crime genre.

3) General Fiction/Popular Fiction: American Gods by Neil Gaiman

rrr_img_11047.jpg

First published in 2001, American Gods became an instant classic-an intellectual and artistic benchmark from the multiple-award-winning master of innovative fiction, Neil Gaiman. Now discover the mystery and magic of American Gods in this tenth anniversary edition. Newly updated and expanded with the author's preferred text, and a wealth of audio, this commemorative volume is a true celebration of a modern masterpiece by the one, the only, Neil Gaiman.

Relevant and prescient, American Gods has been lauded for its brilliant synthesis of "mystery, satire, sex, horror, and poetic prose" (Michael Dirda, Washington Post Book World) and as a modern phantasmagoria that "distills the essence of America" (Seattle Post-Intelligencer). It is, quite simply, an outstanding work of literary imagination that will endure for generations.

4) Genre Fiction (Cyberpunk): Neuromancer (Sprawltrilogy, Book 1) by William Gibson

rrr_img_11049.jpg

Twenty years ago, it was as if someone turned on a light. The future blazed into existence with each deliberate word that William Gibson laid down. The winner of Hugo, Nebula, and Philip K. Dick Awards, Neuromancer didn't just explode onto the science fiction scene-it permeated into the collective consciousness, culture, science, and technology.

Today, there is only one science fiction masterpiece to thank for the term "cyberpunk," for easing the way into the information age and Internet society. Neuromancer's virtual reality has become real. And yet, William Gibson's gritty, sophisticated vision still manages to inspire the minds that lead mankind ever further into the future.

5) Young Adult/Teen/Children's (both Fiction and Non): The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

rrr_img_11051.jpg

When Bruno returns home from school one day, he discovers that his belongings are being packed in crates. His father has received a promotion and the family must move from their home to a new house far far away, where there is no one to play with and nothing to do. A tall fence running alongside stretches as far as the eye can see and cuts him off from the strange people he can see in the distance.

But Bruno longs to be an explorer and decides that there must be more to this desolate new place than meets the eye. While exploring his new environment, he meets another boy whose life and circumstances are very different to his own, and their meeting results in a friendship that has devastating consequences.

6) Pot-Luck (From this thread): Wolf of the Plains (Conquerorseries, Book 1) by Conn Iggulden

rrr_img_11052.jpg

Published as 'Wolf of the Plains' in Australia, this is an action-packed story of Temujin-Uge and his making as Ghengis Khan. Conn Iggulden advises that he used an English translation (from Chinese) of 'The Secret History of the Mongols' as his chief source.

Mongolia was, and remains, a harsh place. Genghis Khan forged an empire by uniting Mongol tribes. This novel is about the boy who became the man, and the vision and blood debts that motivated and sustained him.

No doubt, some readers will find the story brutal. It is. But at the same time, it creates a wonderful backdrop against which to view the emergence of the Mongol empire. In short, it brings the figure of Genghis Khan to life.

I understand that this is the first of a series on Genghis Khan and his descendants. I look forward to reading the next book.

'Tell them that I am Genghis and I will ride'

Highly recommended.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
You had me at "Genghis Khan". Anyone who votes for any other book is hereby proclaimed as wrong.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've read 4 of the 6 so that cuts down my options and I assume we are not voting for books we have already read.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I missed January just because I was distracted. Probably end up doing the same this month. Still, in for Wolf of the Plains. Should make it a multi-selection poll though, I'd be equally happy with Boy in the Striped Pyjamas and I'm sure there's others that are OK with more than 1 of the choices.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Nope, never read them for whatever reason. Even if it doesn't get picked I intend to read it sometime soon, but since I've already read the Rothfus book, it was between American Gods and Neuromancer for me. I'd read whatever you guys picked, but those two jumped out at me as ones that I really should have read by now, hence the vote.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I still need to read Snow Crash, Altered Carbon was baller. Have the other Takeshi Kovecs books on my list with about 100 other books to read.

BTW for this poll on a purely selfless choice I'd have to go with American Gods. That shit will make for some great discussion.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've got like 300 books sitting on the nook and haven't read half of them. There's so many great books I need to read still. Just started Tigana, half because people here suggesting Guy Gavriel Kay so enthusiastically. Actually a lot of the books I read in the order I do because of suggestions from people here. China Mieville books are in the queue for this reason.

In fact I'm gonna go ahead and suggestThe Lions of Al-Rassanfor March since I want to read it anyways=P And a standalone book seems ideal for the fantasy category.

I've got like 300 books sitting on the nook and haven't read half of them. There's so many great books I need to read still. Just started Tigana, half because people here suggesting Guy Gavriel Kay so enthusiastically. Actually a lot of the books I read in the order I do because of suggestions from people here. China Mieville books are in the queue for this reason.

In fact I'm gonna go ahead and suggestThe Lions of Al-Rassanfor March since I want to read it anyways=P And a standalone book seems ideal for the fantasy category.
Snow Crash NOW!, thank me later.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Please tell me you at least read Snow Crash and Altered Carbon.
Tried to read Altered Carbon once. Didn't make it very far. I've considered trying again, solely based on the fact that everyone here seems to think it is the Second Coming, but it held no interest at all for me. I'm sure I'll get gasps of disbelief over that, but it just wasn't anything that made me want to keep reading.

I'll try it again one of these days, but I'm not promising anything.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'd say at least read it up until Takeshi goes to the cloning/medical mob type facility, and if you still don't like it the book's just not for you.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Himeo, good job on putting up a mixture of books though. Even if things are looking dire for Mr. Khan, that was a good mix. I nearly voted for Capote because I've never read it and it intrigues me.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Voted for American Gods, since I just finished his Fragile Things + Anansi Boys.

If Rothfus' series was actually finished, I'd go with that, but standalone books are better for this type of thing, or at least a series that you can read without having to wait a few years to get to the end.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
American Gods is A+ if it doesn't make the cut everyone should read it anyways lol.